Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2015, 01:52 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Except, that she didn't kick the cop
and you know this - how?

Quote:
and if he had not dragged her out of her car, she would not have had any physical contact with him. How is it illegal to smoke in her own car? How is it illegal to disrespect the cop verbally?
it isn't.

this is an excellent article that may help you out.

Why Was Sandra Bland Arrested? - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Quote:
Just like El Chapos cell had a blind spot so did Sandra Bland's cell.

The video of that cell does not show the inside of the cell or the floor because of the blind spot.
The jail camera for the hallway works off a motion sensor which is easy to disable. All you need is some tape (or even a post it note - I have used that to disable the flushing motion sensors when my kids were afraid of the noise). There's always a special cell off camera, that they put special people in so that special things happen to them.

Bland was placed in that cell because it was in the back beside an exit door and anyone could have entered the cell through that door without being on camera.
and you know this - how?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 01:55 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,057,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Bee View Post
How this officer turned a non violent confrontation with an unarmed civilian into a violent confrontation is troubling. He is entirely responsible for that, she likely would never have left the car if he hadn't ordered her out, he only ordered her out because she refused to put out her cigarette, which was an unreasonable request, a request seeming made by an officer on a power trip, one trying to exert control.

You raise a good point. She would not put the cigarette out and became nasty. He appeared to have lost his tempter quickly...it's hard to tell because of the editing done on the recording.

From what I viewed so far he became angry rather quickly.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:25 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Here that poor woman started CRYING as her dignity was being stripped from her by that pinhead redneck cop. Rednecks and racists are applauding her death, finding every justification to blame her and declare that she did commit suicide. I hope he hangs, and the department in that backwards place suffers the maximum punishment. Just an absolutely senseless death. I feel for Bland's family.

What the hell makes these ignorant racists think they can get away with falsely arresting, then killing a young black woman? The culture in Waller, Texas must follow the same rules as ISIS when it comes to the human life of a black person.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:33 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,564,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Here that poor woman started CRYING as her dignity was being stripped from her by that pinhead redneck cop. Rednecks and racists are applauding her death, finding every justification to blame her and declare that she did commit suicide. I hope he hangs, and the department in that backwards place suffers the maximum punishment. Just an absolutely senseless death. I feel for Bland's family.

What the hell makes these ignorant racists think they can get away with falsely arresting, then killing a young black woman? The culture in Waller, Texas must follow the same rules as ISIS when it comes to the human life of a black person.
So far I have seen no one applaud her death. I see no proof that she was murdered. Do you have some facts to back up your claim? Would you like this to go through a legal investigation or do you want revenge for something you THINK happened?

Old 07-22-2015, 02:43 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
So far I have seen no one applaud her death. I see no proof that she was murdered. Do you have some facts to back up your claim?
of course not.

just more of the usual lexusnexus overwrought hysterical snivelfest.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:45 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
You raise a good point. She would not put the cigarette out and became nasty. He appeared to have lost his tempter quickly...it's hard to tell because of the editing done on the recording.

From what I viewed so far he became angry rather quickly.
The Internet, and even mainstream media, are full of stories of black people, women usually, being beaten down, arrested, or outrageously shamed for doing things that most everyone does at some time: talking loud on cell phones, cutting lines, leaving poor tips... when white people do it, it is annoying, rude... when a black person does it it can and often does lead to arrest or severe beatings even deaths, which are often captured on camera. There is a bus I take regularly and, especially on rainy nights people ring the stop announce early, because they can't see out and if the bus blasts by your stop its a 1/2 mile or more, walk back from the next stop. Twice a week or more someone trips the stop announce for a stop they realize they don't want when the bus stops. No real biggie. The driver pulls off again after stopping. After two years riding that bus it was my turn. The bus driver went ballistic. He insisted that I should get off since I rang the bell. The other passengers joined in. Total strangers and they were all yelling and screaming about what a total idiot and worse I was for inconveniencing them in this way. You would have thought I had exposed myself on the bus. It was completely over the top and it took longer to force me off the bus than just continuing on would have taken. Blacks that live in places where blacks are a rare minority are far more likely to experience this kind of extreme racism.

The instinct to want to hurt, punish, or even kill black people when they do harmless, but annoying things is very strong in a lot of people. I worked in a jail system and when they brought black guys in for having contraband or what not they were often barely recognizable as human. In 14 years I never saw a white guy come into the infirmary who couldn't make it under his own power. Twice in my life outside of prison I have seen black men manhandled, possibly to the point of death. I do not know what happened to them. What I do know is that what they did wrong was trivial. One was in Times Square train station. A guy hopped the turnstile, do you know how many times that used to happen back in the day??. About half a dozen police appeared out of nowhere and begin beating the guy bloody in front of hundreds of witnesses. Blood was literally pouring out of him like a faucet. No cop said a word during this. A woman cried out "why are you killing him?!" And the cops closed the station. The guy had lost consciousness from the very first blow, the many other blows and kicks and punches were being made to an unresponsive person.

The other time was in the old Tower Records in the Village when they had just changed over to CD's. A guy went through the door and I didn't hear an alarm or anything but a few seconds later he went flying back into the store. Flying. He must have sailed 10 feet before crashing into a store display, CD's spilling out from under his clothes. He wasn't moving, and no attempt was made to see if his neck was broken or what might be the matter with him. We were all hustled out of the store by other security types.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:53 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,564,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
The Internet, and even mainstream media, are full of stories of black people, women usually, being beaten down, arrested, or outrageously shamed for doing things that most everyone does at some time: talking loud on cell phones, cutting lines, leaving poor tips... when white people do it, it is annoying, rude... when a black person does it it can and often does lead to arrest or severe beatings even deaths, which are often captured on camera. There is a bus I take regularly and, especially on rainy nights people ring the stop announce early, because they can't see out and if the bus blasts by your stop its a 1/2 mile or more, walk back from the next stop. Twice a week or more someone trips the stop announce for a stop they realize they don't want when the bus stops. No real biggie. The driver pulls off again after stopping. After two years riding that bus it was my turn. The bus driver went ballistic. He insisted that I should get off since I rang the bell. The other passengers joined in. Total strangers and they were all yelling and screaming about what a total idiot and worse I was for inconveniencing them in this way. You would have thought I had exposed myself on the bus. It was completely over the top and it took longer to force me off the bus than just continuing on would have taken. Blacks that live in places where blacks are a rare minority are far more likely to experience this kind of extreme racism.

The instinct to want to hurt, punish, or even kill black people when they do harmless, but annoying things is very strong in a lot of people. I worked in a jail system and when they brought black guys in for having contraband or what not they were often barely recognizable as human. In 14 years I never saw a white guy come into the infirmary who couldn't make it under his own power. Twice in my life outside of prison I have seen black men manhandled, possibly to the point of death. I do not know what happened to them. What I do know is that what they did wrong was trivial. One was in Times Square train station. A guy hopped the turnstile, do you know how many times that used to happen back in the day??. About half a dozen police appeared out of nowhere and begin beating the guy bloody in front of hundreds of witnesses. Blood was literally pouring out of him like a faucet. No cop said a word during this. A woman cried out "why are you killing him?!" And the cops closed the station. The guy had lost consciousness from the very first blow, the many other blows and kicks and punches were being made to an unresponsive person.

The other time was in the old Tower Records in the Village when they had just changed over to CD's. A guy went through the door and I didn't hear an alarm or anything but a few seconds later he went flying back into the store. Flying. He must have sailed 10 feet before crashing into a store display, CD's spilling out from under his clothes. He wasn't moving, and no attempt was made to see if his neck was broken or what might be the matter with him. We were all hustled out of the store by other security types.
Your anecdotes have NOTHING to do with this story. It only makes you look like you are going to be biased towards the black lady. Both are at fault. The police officer over-reacted. The black lady was non-compliant. It ended badly for her.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:55 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
From some of the comments about this incident I wonder if we all watched the same video? In the video I watched the Cop was very courteous for a few minutes until the Female motorists became surly. At that point he may have suspected she was high on some form of drugs, legal or illegal. For all he knew she may have had a gun or other weapon within easy grabbing distance.

Overall I think he showed remarkable restraint. I don't know what happened before she died in Lockop
Became surly? I'll go you one better, she was likely surly from go! And? She knew the stop was bogus and she didn't suffer fools gladly. The cop did not suspect drugs or guns or anything else illegal. Another poster likened the encounter to "two sticks of dynamite". I think it is more accurately characterized as a "Perfect Storm". The cops racism, her obstinacy, and a culture that condones excessive punishment of black people. I don't agree with you, the officer showed no restraint at all. Restraint would have been allowing Bland to go on her way unmolested!

Old 07-22-2015, 03:00 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
If that were the case do you really think that the jail staff would go through with the risky and complicated shared conspiracy of attempting to make it look like a hanging by trash bag liner?
Yes, if they were negligent in attending to her medical needs. For all we know, they might not have believed her and just thought she was acting out. Let's not forget: she had the nerve to refuse to bend over for the cop. Mortal Sin!

Old 07-22-2015, 03:01 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
I don't think she was killed in that cell, it's hard to say for sure until the autopsy results are released, if there are no other injuries or evidence of a struggle, then I can't see it being homicide. It would have required jail employees to either participate or at least look the other way, and I just don't see that happening.

But there are other issues that are troubling:

Why wasn't she arraigned? Texas allows 72 hours, the incident occurred late Friday afternoon, so she should have been arraigned on Monday. Most courts set in custody arraignments for the first order of business every day- I can't find a thing indicating that she appeared in court. By not being arraigned the judge had no opportunity to release her on her own recognizance or at least reduce bail. Her bail was $5,000 so the bond would cost $500 (non refundable) and would probably require collateral as well. The whole bail system is a huge joke, if you have the money you aren't in jail long enough to be put in a cell, if you are poor then good luck with getting out.

Another question, it looks like she was in some kind of 'holding tank' rather than a cell, why wasn't she put in general population with other females? In most jails you either share a cell with other inmates, or at least you are allowed contact with other inmates. That contact with others might make the difference if someone was suicidal. Apparently the Texas Commission on Jails found that jail substandard in their training. Texas jail where woman died admits breaking rules - AOL.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events