Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 04:51 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,312,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
cops are "provoked" every day, they are trained to deal with it and most go through their entire career without shooting someone because they were "provoked".

The biggest mistake any police officer can make is to unnecessarily escalate a situation; when they do it seldom works out well.
I think the problem is that the level of training has gone down the drain as the result of the Great Recession and lack of funding.

I remember, as a teenager, hanging around in the park after dark with a bunch of other bored suburban kids, and being fairly regularly kicked out by police. Nothing drastic, just "it's past time guys, better go home". Some of the older policemen were kind of rough around the edges - not that they abused us or anything, but you could see that in a different situation you wouldn't want to get on their bad side. The younger guys were all very professional and patient. These younger guys have all long retired, probably have grandkids by now.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:54 PM

600 posts, read 826,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
The driver was probably running through his head all of the blacks who got pulled out of cars and ended up dead.

And he was right, wasn't he?
Honestly it's just easier to do whatever the cops say rather than argue is my point. I got stopped over a month ago and just gave all my paperwork and license. I got a ticket and just moved on. I didn't start yelling or arguing. If I wanted to argue, my ticket allows a due process in court.

No one waived a gun at me either. Just saying.................................

Old 07-30-2015, 04:57 PM

42,876 posts, read 26,413,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
I wonder if he was trained well on how to use his gun in the first place. Someone mentioned he was a recent military. Military uses Beretta M9 which has a side mounted safety, and won't fire until you deliberately flick the safety off with your thumb. Police uses Glocks or similar pistols which have no safety and will fire the moment you pull the trigger. In the heat of the moment he could've pulled a gun and automatically squeezed the trigger, which would be a very bad mistake safety wise, but not a deadly one in the military. Then came up with a half-assed explanation.
I don't think he was in the military: Ray Tensing, Sam Dubose: UC officer accused of killing motorist has clean performance record - Story

Old 07-30-2015, 05:01 PM

1,069 posts, read 715,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLMG View Post
Honestly it's just easier to do whatever the cops say rather than argue is my point. I got stopped over a month ago and just gave all my paperwork and license. I got a ticket and just moved on. I didn't start yelling or arguing. If I wanted to argue, my ticket allows a due process in court.

No one waived a gun at me either. Just saying.................................
you were respectful and professional....you OBEYED what the police officer told you to do

simple concept

Old 07-30-2015, 05:11 PM

42,876 posts, read 26,413,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
you were respectful and professional....you OBEYED what the police officer told you to do

simple concept
some of you just keep regurgitating the same comments over and over again..I'm not sure what the point of that is, please enlighten me?

Old 07-30-2015, 05:38 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,460,223 times
Quote:
Two cops who corroborated Tensing's made up story, linked to another death 5 years earlier. This prosecutor seems to want justice but why hasn't he charged Tensing's accomplices? This thin blue line behavior really indicates that less than 10 percent of any police force is made up of good cops.

Officers at Sam DuBose scene involved in death of another unarmed black man | US news | The Guardian

Old 07-30-2015, 05:49 PM

1,069 posts, read 715,424 times
Quote:
some of you just keep regurgitating the same comments over and over again..I'm not sure what the point of that is, please enlighten me?
First off, before you go off and say i am defending the Police officer....i am not. I do not know what happened. it is a tragedy that a person had to die over what seemed like a minor traffic infraction. i do not know if he tried to drag the cop, i dont know if it was a rogue cop. I am guessing that will come out. In the articles i have read, it seemed there was some sort of disagreement/apprehension with the shooting victim supplying the officer with his drivers license/registration/identification....here is how this works, and it is NOT open for debate. You pull over, hands on the steering wheel. Once the cop approaches the car, he/she will ask 999 times out of a 1000...."license, registration, insurance card"....the only response to that ORDER is giving the officer what he/she wants with a "yes sir/maam"....if you are arguing that point, you lose the argument....no debate, no negotiation (at that point)....like Nike says, JUST DO IT

Old 07-30-2015, 06:03 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,668,110 times
Some of you need to go watch the video in the thread "Good cop vs Bad cop". Talk about being provoked. The guy they arrested was unrelenting, but the pair of them just kept their cool. Of course, there was a third cop who was a moron, but watch it to see the way the two good ones conducted themselves.

And let's get real here - if I was a black man the LAST thing I would want to do is get out of a car when a cop is ordering me to do so.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:08 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,973,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

I did learn the other day that this routine about "my Black friend(s)" in the United States is rather bogus for many people.
That's nothing new. However, I think there are way too many labels and stereotypes. Many people discriminate by education, class and money, but that discussion is for a different forum. It gets worse as you get older. I rarely see any diversity in retirement communities.

Actually, I'm pretty much a recluse at this point in my life. I prefer being around 4-legged animals. They're much less judgmental.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:08 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,975,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Some of you need to go watch the video in the thread "Good cop vs Bad cop". Talk about being provoked. The guy they arrested was unrelenting, but the pair of them just kept their cool. Of course, there was a third cop who was a moron, but watch it to see the way the two good ones conducted themselves.

And let's get real here - if I was a black man the LAST thing I would want to do is get out of a car when a cop is ordering me to do so.
That is just plain silly. Watch fewer videos, not more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events