Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2015, 05:13 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Ok, just read any law that deals with slander. You can voice an opinion, that is covered by free speech. However, once you say "you are..." that is no longer opinion and can be tested as slander or even libel. The police officer can then arrest you for that becuase an arrest is just that, it is not a conviction but merely an allegation. "slan·der

ˈslandər/

noun

LAW

the action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation.

"he is suing the TV network for slander"
" When spoken it requires a third person to hear it. To person to cop, no but person to cop in the presence of others, yes. More to the point, why do it? People who insult cops usually do it to incite the cop.
defamation and slander are civil suits and not subject to arrest or imprisonment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 05:33 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,522,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
defamation and slander are civil suits and not subject to arrest or imprisonment
Yes they are, already proven. Go back to sleep.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:59 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Yes they are, already proven. Go back to sleep.
No, it sounded to me that if convicted you could be imprisoned. Not just arrested off the street.

But once again your comment -- "Go back to sleep" -- is the kind of smart ass cop comment that so many of us are getting tired of.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
I just saw part of a Video showing a Male person in the parking lot of a car lot then looking inside a car while wearing sun glasses and then climbs on to the car and using his left foot is stomping what could be the front or rear window of said car...video stops on my computer.
That would be your innocent, unarmed, teen college student at the dealership at 1am on a Friday night (or Sat morning).

Old 08-10-2015, 06:46 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,170,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
an assumption not based on anything except your own anecdotal experience is hardly a hypothesis, it is at most an opinion.
LOL! You think that was an assumption? Or my opinion. You don't have much use for facts do you?

Old 08-10-2015, 07:04 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Kathryn, I have seen many threads over time here where you discuss your biracial children. And the way you characterize their experiences with other "black" people. You often mention, while your children are perceived as "black" they do not act like "regular black people," highlight the "differences" between your kids and other black folks.

Since for me, the definition of racism implies power, it is technically impossible for black people in the US to be "racist." But we can absolutely be prejudiced, bigoted or biased.
I challenge you to find one post - ONE POST - where I say my biracial kids do not "act like regular black people." Pu-LEASE.

And you just lost every bit of credibility with me when you asserted that it is "technically impossible for black people in the US to be racist." The definition of racism does not include any reference to "power."

Quote:
rac·ism
ˈrāˌsizəm/
noun
the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Maybe you think your kids will never be treated this way, but....

Neil DeGrasse Tyson has talked a lot about the casual racism he experienced at UT. ("I was stopped and questioned seven times by University police on my way into the physics building," he said. "Seven times. Zero times was I stopped going into the gym — and I went to the gym a lot. That says all you need to know about how welcome I felt at Texas."

On Wealthy Island, Being Black Means Being a Police Suspect - NYTimes.com
My kids grew up in Texas.

Not once - not once - have they been targeted or singled out by the police. I guess "never say never" but so far so good. And between them, they've racked up over 80 years of life experience in this state.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:16 PM

14,956 posts, read 12,166,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Dat wuz one po attempt at Ebonics

It's not his native language, lol.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:16 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,475,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I challenge you to find one post - ONE POST - where I say my biracial kids do not "act like regular black people." Pu-LEASE.

And you just lost every bit of credibility with me when you asserted that it is "technically impossible for black people in the US to be racist." The definition of racism does not include any reference to "power."
Don't get worked up over the trolls on here Kathryn Aragon, everyone knows you are one of the only sensible and reasonable posters on CD among the lunatic fringe here. I don't care what anybody says on here, don't get too worked up over it, people are always looking for an argument on here its the nature of the beast. I have noticed people on CD don't want to get it right, they just want to be right and only argue their point of view.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Don't get worked up over the trolls on here Kathryn Aragon, everyone knows you are one of the only sensible and reasonable posters on CD among the lunatic fringe here. I don't care what anybody says on here, don't get too worked up over it, people are always looking for an argument on here its the nature of the beast. I have noticed people on CD don't want to get it right, they just want to be right and only argue their point of view.
You've got a point.

I'm actually having a fine evening though. I kidnapped the littlest of my multiracial grandbabies, and we went to get ice cream, and then to see my lily white elderly parents (who adore this beautiful child who is AA, white, and Latina among other things), who gave her a bevy of little presents that they'd picked up at a yard sale recently, and then she and I went to the supermercado and bought a big, juicy papaya and some Klass lime/chili powder for a late night snack. I took her to the bookstore where she chose a Winnie the Pooh book and I'm about to read it to her and then let her get good and sticky eating that papaya before taking a long bubble bath in MiMi's big tub.

It's all good!

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 08-10-2015 at 08:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events