Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2015, 10:42 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
As for proving blacks having higher cirme rates all over the world, just look at the statistics. There's not a SINGLE predominately black nation on this planet that doesn't have high crime rates. If you can show me otherwise I'd really like to see it.
That's not the way it works, you don't make a claim based on nothing and then tell other people to prove your claim is false
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 10:52 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Maybe you should find an article entitled "Why it is so difficult for a White person who has never been a racist to discuss any topic on race with Black people who are convinced every White person is a racist, even people they never met?

If I were a racist, I would probably have a lot more friends. Sometimes I just want to throw my hands up and say "What the heck?" As long as people automatically think I'm a racist (and BTW, that's only on City-Data) why not just sit down and have a drink with all those White people I keep meeting who talk about "the Blacks..." When you get to be my age and live in the South, it ain't easy being a Boston liberal. Now I've got people on an internet board telling me I should look deeper into my soul because they don't like the tone of my posts?

I've always said racism is alive and well in this country and that Black people are often treated differently. I see a lot of Confederate flags flying around here since the controversy in SC. However, that doesn't mean if a Black person is shot to death it's just because he's Black. We don't have all the information yet. The untimely death of ANY person is sad. ALL lives matter.

By the way, you should check out The Race Card Project online.
The problem is, even though many (probably most) white people aren't individually racist, we live in a society with racist systems and most white people benefit from them, we all need to work on dismantling institutional racism. If you live in the US you are part of our general racist society.

I used to live in SC, and even managed to have diverse friends there. As you can imagine, over the past few months conversations, particularly on social media have ranged from disturbing to difficult to hurtful to others making me want to remove people from my friends list. But there have been positive conversation and a lot of people have become more open and willing to be less complicit in our racist systems.

We never know how much reality is in any one persons internet posts. Even though I maybe responding directly to you, the message is meant for the collective you.

P.S. I have submitted to the Race Card Project!

Old 08-09-2015, 11:10 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,043,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That's not the way it works, you don't make a claim based on nothing and then tell other people to prove your claim is false
Tell me which predominately black country on this list has a low murder rate:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._homicide_rate

So tell me again how are my claims based on 'nothing'? >_>

Old 08-09-2015, 11:17 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
Tell me which predominately black country on this list has a low murder rate:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._homicide_rate

So tell me again how are my claims based on 'nothing'? >_>
Using your logic, I'll go ahead and say that white people have a high rate of being serial killers.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:40 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,015,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Using your logic, I'll go ahead and say that white people have a high rate of being serial killers.
The Scientific American disagrees with you:

5 Myths about Serial Killers and Why They Persist [Excerpt] - Scientific American

Old 08-09-2015, 11:43 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,522,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Had he been convicted of something?
Utter nonsense. He is dead and his actions aren't in question. You're being ridiculous.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:46 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,522,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
We don't know the facts, whether this guy was violent or the cop was a thug cop. But from the footage he was acting pretty strange and scary.
We know he was violent. Driving a car into a building after vandalizing cars is a violent act. To even suggest otherwise defies reality. He was a criminal, he won't waste the court's time because he risked his life and threw it away.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:51 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Everyone has bias. I don't believe it. I hear the little biased voices in my head all the time. I just work harder to counter them out!

The reason we can't make any progress is because:
1. no one wants to take ownership of their issues
2. no one wants recognize what other people observe if it is counter to their experience

Everyone is like "I do not have a racist bone in my body! It's those other people." And suddenly there are no other people because everyone is great!

I used to think there was no racism, and we were behind it. I have diverse non-racist friends. And then more stuff started to happen to me and I noticed patterns of behavior my non-black peers didn't experience.
Shrug. I don't care whether you believe me or not.

Are you a racist?

Old 08-09-2015, 11:56 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Utter nonsense. He is dead and his actions aren't in question. You're being ridiculous.
Not ridiculous at all. You said he was a criminal. In the United States one is innocent until proven guilty. He never had his day in court.

Ever had a moving violation when driving? I guess you're a criminal.

See how easy it is.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:06 AM

4,062 posts, read 2,141,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
He couldn't exercise his Fifth Amendment rights, because the cops deprived him of the chance.

You really do hate the constitution, don't you? Must be miserable to be living in a constitutional democracy, when you rather be living in a fascist authoritarian police state where people are executed with no trial.
Agreed that it would have been preferable if he could have exercised his 5th amendment rights and had a trial after arrested on the charges of trespassing, vandalism, etc.

Do not agree that a cop should refrain from using deadly force if his/her life is being threatened just so the perp has the opportunity to go to court for yet another charge: assault/death of a police officer.

What I'm murky on is deadly force because someone is resisting arrest. Seems to be there is a difference between running away (where some people have been shot, in the back) and not complying versus aggression that could be very injurious or lethal to the police officer. If one person has to die, why does it have to be the cop? Cops take one for the team on a regular basis, but they don't have to willingly offer themselves up if they can save their own lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events