Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2015, 07:49 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
While I agree police can certainly do a better job in defusing situations in many incidents, the question I have is why are blacks ALMOST COMPLETELY absolved of their behavior and no one expects them to act at least somewhat civilized in a modern civilized society? If we can demand police to do a better job of policing, why can't we demand many blacks to behave and act more like civilized people like most other people do?

No one is stupid enough to believe that there isn't any bias or racism among some cops if not many cops against blacks, but lets be real here even if the majority of police officers in the US were black, it probably wouldn't change one damn thing in terms of how much crime and murder blacks commit here. Just look at practically every predominately black nation on earth that has a predominately black police force and guess what? The crime rates in those countries are just as bad if not usually much worse than even black crime rates are in the US. Doesn't that show that blacks policing blacks doesn't really make a difference other than blacks not being able to pull the race card? And doesn't this show that too many blacks simply don't care to follow the rules and laws of the societies that they live in and too often they don't respect authority regardless of what color their skin is?

The bottom line is police can improve, but so can black people. The problem is we're only asking cops to do a better job without asking the same from black people who apparently can do no wrong. No matter what they do or how poorly they behave its ALWAYS up to cops to find the ideal solution to every situation which is simply impossible and unfair. If blacks can do their part with staying out of trouble and police do their part with treating blacks and people in general better, then everyone will be better off for it.
Here is what I have learned. I can be super polite, super well-spoken and congenial. If I run into the wrong person, they will misconstrue and misread any of my behavior into something aggressive and react accordingly. It is really an example of how implicit bias works. This attitude is part of the same one that degraded black men to "Boys" and required black people to call all white people, including children, sir and ma'am.

I think people should be polite. But guess what, it is not illegal to insult or speak rudely to a police officer. And me, as a black person, being polite, doesn't guarantee that I'll be treated correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 07:52 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
First off blacks commit more crime than whites..so the odds go up right there. And yea, I think they resist more too..so there ya go.
The report also reveals something that you failed to mention:
The 1,217 deadly police shootings from 2010 to 2012 captured in the federal data show that blacks, age 15 to 19, were killed at a rate of 31.17 per million, while just 1.47 per million white males in that age range died at the hands of police.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Just don't engage in violent criminal activity and I'm sure you'll be just fine.

It's really not that hard to keep from doing. Or is it? Do you think that black males simply can't stop themselves from lawless, violent behavior and that the rest of society just needs to learn to put up with it, and handle such sweet and precious little criminals with kid gloves?
The problem is, you don't have to engage in criminal behavior to get pulled over. Black people are pulled over for noting at higher rates than white people. Take a look at this story, from Miami Gardens, where police policy is to stop and frisk any black male you see, and put yourself in their shoes.

In Miami Gardens, store video catches cops in the act | Miami Herald

Quote:
Saleh was so troubled by what he saw that he decided to install video cameras in his store. Not to protect himself from criminals, because he says he has never been robbed. He installed the cameras — 15 of them — he said, to protect him and his customers from police.

Since he installed the cameras in June 2012 he has collected more than two dozen videos, some of which have been obtained by the Miami Herald. Those tapes, and Sampson’s 38-page criminal history — including charges never even pursued by prosecutors — raise some troubling questions about the conduct of the city’s police officers.

The videos show, among other things, cops stopping citizens, questioning them, aggressively searching them and arresting them for trespassing when they have permission to be on the premises; officers conducting searches of Saleh’s business without search warrants or permission; using what appears to be excessive force on subjects who are clearly not resisting arrest and filing inaccurate police reports in connection with the arrests.

“There is just no justifying this kind of behavior,’’ said Chuck Drago, a former police officer and consultant on police policy and the use of force. “Nobody can justify overstepping the constitution to fight crime.â€
This behavior is not unusual at all. Every one of my college educated/professional job-holding black male peers has been pulled over for nonsense on a regular basis since they were teens. No one has done anything. I am sure if it happened to you, you'd have a ginormous chip on your shoulder.

It is really hard, since for the average "white" person, your own experience shows you that all you have to do to be treated fairly is to "act right," and that all mistreatment is deserved. For some of us, we aren't always treated the way we deserve by no fault of our own.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:00 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Slwepy needs to learn the difference between "may not" and
"shall not". One is mandatory, the other is not. Guess which is the mandatory? They taught that on Adam12. One ADAM 12, see the unknown at the corner of knowing it all and clueless.
Therein lies the problem, your knowledge of the law comes from Adam12. Rather than split hairs over what the meaning of "is" is, read the decision for yourself, then we can discuss it:

Where the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a threat of serious physical harm, either to the officer or to others, it is not constitutionally unreasonable to prevent escape by using deadly force. Thus, if the suspect threatens the officer with a weapon or there is probable cause to believe that he has committed a crime involving the infliction or threatened infliction of serious physical harm, deadly force may be used if necessary to prevent escape, and if, where [471 U.S. 1, 12] feasible, some warning has been given.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:05 PM

50,823 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitwhit View Post
Why don't we put these people back in their place? This is getting ridiculous. If you don't have anything to contribute to society you should be taken out any way possible. This is why hard labor and chain gangs should be the standard.
"these people"?

"back in their place"?

Old 08-09-2015, 08:08 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,472,115 times
Football players lives matter regardless of race, they deserve better treatment from the police. This is a travesty of justice lol

Old 08-09-2015, 08:11 PM

4,060 posts, read 2,137,280 times
Agreed that blacks who aren't doing anything wrong do sometimes get harassed and worse from cops. But in this case, it really does look like the dead guy was committing a crime, possibly while high, and then COULD have done more than resist arrest since whatever led him to be at that dealership COULD have led him to continue irrational behavior, which could have been a threat to the cop. Yup, no question that this is another white cop who killed a black person...but does it automatically fall under the cop being wrong in using deadly force? I'd like to think a taser could always work in subduing someone, but that obviously isn't the case or cops wouldn't carry guns....

Old 08-09-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Why does anyone think that some punk vandalizing a car dealership and driving a car through a window can end in anything but a tragedy? Those aren't the action of a normal person, they are the actions of a violent criminal who has no respect for the lives of others, he deserved no respect either. College student and unarmed my hind end, he was a criminal armed with a 2 ton battering ram.
What? That is supposed to be a death sentence?

No one said that when my local Apple stores and Tiffany were robbed by people in cars.
Car used for smash-and-grab at Apple store in Berkeley | Berkeleyside
Tiffany's Jewelry Store in San Francisco Ransacked by Armed Robbers | NBC Bay Area

Juries are supposed to decide which crimes are death penalty worthy. Not police officers.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:19 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Here is what I have learned. I can be super polite, super well-spoken and congenial. If I run into the wrong person, they will misconstrue and misread any of my behavior into something aggressive and react accordingly. It is really an example of how implicit bias works. This attitude is part of the same one that degraded black men to "Boys" and required black people to call all white people, including children, sir and ma'am.

I think people should be polite. But guess what, it is not illegal to insult or speak rudely to a police officer. And me, as a black person, being polite, doesn't guarantee that I'll be treated correctly.
Right. But why do I have the feeling that you would be surprised that some police officers are rude to (gasp) WHITE PEOPLE too?

White people get misread and misconstrued as well. Imagine that! Sometimes people are really rude to (this is amazing) WHITE PEOPLE. I know it's hard for you to believe but I promise it's true. And sometimes the people who are being rude to white people, or perpetrating violence against white people, are - get ready...get ready...BLACK! Isn't that the most amazing coincidence?

Rather than assuming that people are reacting negatively to you because of the color of your skin, why don't you try wrapping your head around the fact that some people - of every ethnic or racial group - are jerks, who misconstrue or misread the actions of others, or who are just flat out idiots with no social skills. And while you're wrapping your head around that one, try this one on for size too - people of all skin tones can be racist, act racist, perpetrate racism.

We live in a fallen world.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:26 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
"I think they resist more too" any proof of that, or do we just take your word for it?
How in hell could i get proof of that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events