Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2015, 08:28 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,170,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The report also reveals something that you failed to mention:
The 1,217 deadly police shootings from 2010 to 2012 captured in the federal data show that blacks, age 15 to 19, were killed at a rate of 31.17 per million, while just 1.47 per million white males in that age range died at the hands of police.
Gee and why is that? Any ideas? I'm gonna give you the first hypothesis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 08:30 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,036,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
He exercised his rights. He decided of his own free will to become a criminal. Every criminal puts their life at risk. He gambled and lost.
He couldn't exercise his Fifth Amendment rights, because the cops deprived him of the chance.

You really do hate the constitution, don't you? Must be miserable to be living in a constitutional democracy, when you rather be living in a fascist authoritarian police state where people are executed with no trial.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:31 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right. But why do I have the feeling that you would be surprised that some police officers are rude to (gasp) WHITE PEOPLE too?

White people get misread and misconstrued as well. Imagine that! Sometimes people are really rude to (this is amazing) WHITE PEOPLE. I know it's hard for you to believe but I promise it's true. And sometimes the people who are being rude to white people, or perpetrating violence against white people, are - get ready...get ready...BLACK! Isn't that the most amazing coincidence?

Rather than assuming that people are reacting negatively to you because of the color of your skin, why don't you try wrapping your head around the fact that some people - of every ethnic or racial group - are jerks, who misconstrue or misread the actions of others, or who are just flat out idiots with no social skills. And while you're wrapping your head around that one, try this one on for size too - people of all skin tones can be racist, act racist, perpetrate racism.

We live in a fallen world.
I am well aware some people are rude, white people can get mistreated by law enforcement. But your straw man argument tries to negate the systemic racism and systemic bias here in this country. We are trained to believe that all black people are suspicious until proven otherwise.

There are two separate issues:
1. excessive use of force by law enforcement
2. bias that causes people in society to view black behavior with a negative lens

I am sorry that you seem to think that examples of where the right thing happens are evidence that the systems are overwhelmingly fair, when in fact the reverse is true.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:42 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I am well aware some people are rude, white people can get mistreated by law enforcement. But your straw man argument tries to negate the systemic racism and systemic bias here in this country. We are trained to believe that all black people are suspicious until proven otherwise.

There are two separate issues:
1. excessive use of force by law enforcement
2. bias that causes people in society to view black behavior with a negative lens

I am sorry that you seem to think that examples of where the right thing happens are evidence that the systems are overwhelmingly fair, when in fact the reverse is true.
Hey, speak for yourself. I wasn't raised that way.

And half my family is African American so I know a little bit about the topic at hand. Oh - and all my kids are considered African American (they're actually biracial but most people consider them AA). Spare me the lecture about racism and society.

I know that racism exists (in every subgroup by the way) - but I also know that my kids, who behave themselves and carry themselves with dignity and who lead responsible lives, are not mistreated by the police or people in general.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:46 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,036,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
First off blacks commit more crime than whites..so the odds go up right there. And yea, I think they resist more too..so there ya go.
BS lies. Blacks don't even get a chance to resist. A 12 year old black child with a toy gun is gunned down by the police in less then two seconds after they arrive. Meanwhile the police just back down from armed white scumbuckets like this. The same laws aren't even enforced on white people.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Hey, speak for yourself. I wasn't raised that way.

And half my family is African American so I know a little bit about the topic at hand. Oh - and all my kids are considered African American (they're actually biracial but most people consider them AA). Spare me the lecture about racism and society.

I know that racism exists (in every subgroup by the way) - but I also know that my kids, who behave themselves and carry themselves with dignity and who lead responsible lives, are not mistreated by the police or people in general.
That's what you think! Why don't you try out this test and see what happens. We are not only products of our families, but our society. I assume you didn't grow up in a commune or cave where you did not interact with the broader world.
more info: Across America, whites are biased and they don’t even know it - The Washington Post
Here is the test for implicit bias: https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/takeatest.html

(People of color also exhibit these tendencies, and are often biased against their own groups due to societla training.)

Old 08-09-2015, 08:55 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
That's what you think! Why don't you try out this test and see what happens. We are not only products of our families, but our society. I assume you didn't grow up in a commune or cave where you did not interact with the broader world.
more info: Across America, whites are biased and they don’t even know it - The Washington Post
Here is the test for implicit bias: https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/takeatest.html

(People of color also exhibit these tendencies, and are often biased against their own groups due to societla training.)
Yawn. I've already taken that test. Years ago. I didn't show up as having implicit bias.

Speak for yourself.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Yawn. I've already taken that test. Years ago. I didn't show up as having implicit bias.

Speak for yourself.
Everyone has bias. I don't believe it. I hear the little biased voices in my head all the time. I just work harder to counter them out!

The reason we can't make any progress is because:
1. no one wants to take ownership of their issues
2. no one wants recognize what other people observe if it is counter to their experience

Everyone is like "I do not have a racist bone in my body! It's those other people." And suddenly there are no other people because everyone is great!

I used to think there was no racism, and we were behind it. I have diverse non-racist friends. And then more stuff started to happen to me and I noticed patterns of behavior my non-black peers didn't experience.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:20 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,722,651 times
American Cops Just Killed More People in March than the UK Did in the Entire 20th Century | The Free Thought Project

American Cops kill more people in March than UK entire century. That's an alarming stat.

Only in 3rd world countries like Mexico does the Police kill hundreds a month against citizens that work for the drug trade.

What kind of country we live in that requires the cop to use deadly force on so many.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:23 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,128,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
His behavior didn't sound right. I wonder if he got a hold of some of this synthetic mj I read about?
I wondered about that myself. Or bath salts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events