Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 05:39 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,381,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I am as opened minded as the sky about different religions, cultures, etc. But this is nothing more than stupidity and taking some man made rule to the extreme.
They should have pinned him down, knocked him out cold, whatever and saved the woman.
He is in effect a murderer.
What a stupid religion.
If her (read his) honor was important enough to him to let her drown, then saving her would only have postponed her death. Her 'honor' being sullied probably would have ended in an 'honor killing' later. I hope he's proud of himself for keeping to his religious/cultural values. I guess having grandchildren didn't mean much to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 05:43 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awestover89 View Post
Would "these people" be Muslims who let people die rather than be touched by strange men, Jehova's Witnesses who let people die rather than get life saving medical treatments, Catholics who let people die from ectopic pregnancies to avoid the sin of an abortion?

I'm sure there are other religious groups that have similar rules that can result in death when taken to the extreme. If this story is true, the father should be arrested and prosecuted as an individual for his actions as an individual. But every religious group has individuals that take things too far, that doesn't mean we should eliminate all followers of that religion. Even if everybody was athiest there would still be individuals who take things too far and cause harm.

Punish the individual, not the collective.
Christian Science is another denomination that believes in prayer over science.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:46 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,484,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Muslim father lets daughter drown rather than be touched by male lifeguard.
This reminds me of parents who are opposed to medical intervention to save their young child's life because its against their religious beliefs and God's will.

[on the bright side - it culls the herd]

Old 08-21-2015, 05:53 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
This is the most shocking thing I found in the whole story.
Other reports make the distinction that the man is Asian, implying, not a citizen.

There are more imported foreign workers and their families from all over the third world Asia and parts of Africa, in Dubai than citizens.

Father may or may not be Muslim, assuming this event happened.

Girls/ women are viewed as property in mant parts of the world and this crosses religious beliefs.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:03 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,533,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Other reports make the distinction that the man is Asian, implying, not a citizen.

There are more imported foreign workers and their families from all over the third world Asia and parts of Africa, in Dubai than citizens.

Father may or may not be Muslim, assuming this event happened.

Girls/ women are viewed as property in mant parts of the world and this crosses religious beliefs.
That's correct about the workers in Dubai ( Middle East in general ) and I know for a fact they get treated awfully mainly Bangladeshi and Nepalese workers all on Mickey Mouse money and the accommodation they offer is worse 20 to a 4 bedroom house etc

Old 08-21-2015, 06:38 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
What kind of a barbaric religion is this?
Just as bad: BBC News | MIDDLE EAST | Saudi police 'stopped' fire rescue Saudi Arabia's religious police stopped schoolgirls from leaving a blazing building because they were not wearing correct Islamic dress, according to Saudi newspapers.

Quote "The religious police are widely feared in Saudi Arabia. They roam the streets enforcing dress codes and sex segregation, and ensuring prayers are performed on time.

Those who refuse to obey their orders are often beaten and sometimes put in jail."
Yes, I remember that fire in Saudi Arabia and the girls dying because the police wouldn't let them out. I remember being absolutely furious that those repellent swine could possibly be so utterly lacking in the tiniest shred of human decency that they could do such a thing. The only silver lining I could see is that those poor girls were at least spared a life of continued living under the soul-crushing oppression that would have been their lot in life.

Islam is a filthy, disgusting, barbaric cult, and the sooner it is stamped out, the better off the world will be. And for those of you who are equating these things with things that Christians have done, all I can say is, open your eyes and get your heads out of the sand. There is NOTHING that Christians have done in the last 500 years, at least, that even comes close to the barbarism and misery that is spread by Muslims each and every day.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:53 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,863,789 times
Save the daughter.
Drown the father.

The world would be a better place.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:00 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,653,975 times
Seems to me, if she couldn't swim, she should have at least worn a Personal Floatation Device.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:04 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,533,575 times
Makes you think this one will?

We all know about the Muslim beliefs well rules if you like, now if she's not allowed to be touched by a man for honour reasons then why the hell was she allowed go swimming? That's also a sacred rule about covering up isn't it? We're not even allowed to see there face! And I very much doubt she went for a swim dressed Head to toes in all the batman gear so she must of had some revealing clothes on

Old 08-21-2015, 07:18 PM

986 posts, read 2,509,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Is this insane or what!?

The father of a 20-year-old woman let her drown in Dubai rather than let lifeguards rescue her.

The father preferred she drown rather than be dishonored by getting touched by male rescuers, reports Emirates 24 News.

Lt. Col. Ahmed Burqibah, deputy director of the Dubai police's search and rescue team, confirmed the incident happened.

The dad had taken his wife and children "to the beach when suddenly, the 20-year-old girl started drowning and screaming for help," Burqibah said.

"Two rescue men were at the beach and they rushed to help the girl. However," said Burqibah, the man "considered that if these men touched his daughter, then this would dishonor her. It cost him the life of his daughter."

Burqibah did not say when the incident took place.

"The father was a strong and tall man. He started pulling and preventing the rescue men and got violent with them. He told them that he prefers his daughter being dead than being touched by a strange man."

The woman drowned and the father was arrested for not allowing rescuers to do their job.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...icle-1.2319799
Just another example of how dangerous ideology can be. Many in America would rather let entire coastlines drown in the ocean than face scientific evidence that questions oily habits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events