Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2015, 02:48 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,918,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
He's already been put on desk duty and had his gun taken away. When the Police Commissioner of NYC is doing press conferences to apologize again to Blake and to update the investigation into what happened, I don't think it's a case that will be brushed under the rug that easily. They're going to throw him under the bus, and they should, although IMO the problems are systemic.
You are absolutely right. This particular cop had five complaints and two excessive force lawsuits against him in a very short period of time. So clearly he was a problem cop who should have been fired prior to this incident. But far from getting rid of him, NYPD were in process of making him a detective. That suggests a systemic problem at NYPD where bad behavior is both tolerated and rewarded. We know that this was one of the things the mayor was elected to fix. However, it suggest that the problem is either bigger than he realized or that he has failed in fixing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 03:00 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,028,436 times
Here's the video if anyone wants to see it in this thread:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jtzWSah-BZM

Old 09-11-2015, 03:03 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,454,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
You are absolutely right. This particular cop had five complaints and two excessive force lawsuits against him in a very short period of time. So clearly he was a problem cop who should have been fired prior to this incident. But far from getting rid of him, NYPD were in process of making him a detective. That suggests a systemic problem at NYPD where bad behavior is both tolerated and rewarded. We know that this was one of the things the mayor was elected to fix. However, it suggest that the problem is either bigger than he realized or that he has failed in fixing it.
It is a cesspool of deceit and corruption in police departments. Real action in cleaning this is needed.

Old 09-11-2015, 03:25 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,371,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
If you look at the photo of the suspect they were looking for, James Blake doesn't look anything like him aside from having darker skin than your average white person and a shaved head. And I'm saying this as someone who has a real problem identifying faces.

My problem with this isn't so much James Blake's race, but that he was essentially assaulted by the officer. It's good he was athletic. I have a friend who is a big brawny LOOKING guy but actually suffers from two major degenerative diseases. Taking a hit like the one James Blake took could have put him in the hospital for quite some time.

Did the cop feel more comfortable making such an aggressive takedown because the suspect was black? Quite possibly.
Not sure if this has been mention..But James Black broke his neck in 2004 I believe..and he fought back ..and was able to get back to tennis....

A Broken Neck, Unbroken Spirit : People.com

Having said that, then this cop is very lucky he did not do more harm to James. He very well could have caused a devastating injury..!!!!

Old 09-11-2015, 03:32 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,371,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
How many millions will be paid out , what's your ballpark figure ??????
Actually the figure is ZERO...ballpark zippo..all requested was an apology! If it had of been anybody else than James...no doubt the taxpayer would need to bail out another loose cannon on their LE force !

Old 09-11-2015, 03:34 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,918,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Actually the figure is ZERO...ballpark zippo..all requested was an apology! If it had of been anybody else than James...no doubt the taxpayer would need to bail out another loose cannon on their LE force !
Indeed. New York taxpayers can consider themselves fortunate that Mr. Blake has more class than the officer who assaulted him.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:09 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,240,536 times
I think the officers should be put on leave and the department should apologize to Mr. Blake. I don't think Mr. Blake is going to pursue taking the whole thing to court though. I was put in cuffs by mistake years ago when I was 18. The police mistook me for a local drug dealer. 10 minutes in they realized I wasn't the man they were looking for, apologized and let me on my way. I didn't take it personal. Oh and I am white.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:19 PM

16,573 posts, read 8,596,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Looks like excessive force for no reason. Supposedly Blake resembled a credit card fraud suspect. When does credit card fraud require a tackle?

http://m.nydailynews.com/sports/more...3983?cid=bitly
Case of mistaken identity? YES
Excessive force? NO

As a LEO, you are called upon to arrest suspects with as little harm posed to yourself and the public as possible. While there are certainly cases of police brutality, this incident is hardly worth mentioning had it not have been a known star athlete.

Here is an example of real excessive force;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9Vgqe0SBLM

`

Old 09-11-2015, 06:57 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,348,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Case of mistaken identity? YES
Excessive force? NO

As a LEO, you are called upon to arrest suspects with as little harm posed to yourself and the public as possible. While there are certainly cases of police brutality, this incident is hardly worth mentioning had it not have been a known star athlete.

Here is an example of real excessive force;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9Vgqe0SBLM

`
Are you being serious right now? It's ok to just go up to random people suspected of committing a crime and slam them under the guise of posing "little harm"?

Wow, just wow.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:01 PM

42,843 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Apparently a witness in the case positively identified him as the suspect! Bad luck for sure.

The witness needs an arse kicking.
Doesn't matter, it was not like a report of an armed robber, credit card fraud is not something you tackle someone for unless they pose a threat to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events