Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 10:43 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,936,307 times

Advertisements

"The cop accused of body-slamming former tennis star James Blake during a mistaken arrest has a checkered past that includes five civilian complaints in just seven months and two excessive-force lawsuits."

"Police brass are also looking into the “failure” by Frascatore and five other cops at the scene to notify their bosses about Blake’s erroneous arrest, Bratton said."

Shocking record for cop accused of body-slamming James Blake | New York Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 10:47 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,392,584 times
If you look at the photo of the suspect they were looking for, James Blake doesn't look anything like him aside from having darker skin than your average white person and a shaved head. And I'm saying this as someone who has a real problem identifying faces.

My problem with this isn't so much James Blake's race, but that he was essentially assaulted by the officer. It's good he was athletic. I have a friend who is a big brawny LOOKING guy but actually suffers from two major degenerative diseases. Taking a hit like the one James Blake took could have put him in the hospital for quite some time.

Did the cop feel more comfortable making such an aggressive takedown because the suspect was black? Quite possibly.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:17 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,241,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
This guy was treated like ass but was smart enough to respond in a way that kept him from getting hurt. Calm and intelligent.

Now I hope he sues them into the ground.
He was tackled and handcuffed. It wasn't as if he was presented with a laundry list of options on how to behave at that point.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:35 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,608,743 times
Have they released the video yet?

Old 09-11-2015, 12:02 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,597,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
It was a mistake people, put your cop killing guns away and tuck your race card up your asses. Mistakes happen and it will be rectified. Nobody is going to be fired over it and life will go on.

How many millions will be paid out , what's your ballpark figure ??????

Old 09-11-2015, 12:10 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,063,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post

My problem with this isn't so much James Blake's race, but that he was essentially assaulted by the officer.
It does appear so but I still say we do not know all of the facts. Was the suspect they were looking for known to be dangerous? Was he likely to be armed etc? We have not seen the video and we do not know what it anything transpired before the video. Maybe the policeman likes inflicting this treatment on suspects. I don't know. There are police like that (although IMHO a smaller % than a lot of people here would have you believe)

Quote:
Taking a hit like the one James Blake took could have put him in the hospital for quite some time.
Have you seen the hit he took?

Quote:
Did the cop feel more comfortable making such an aggressive takedown because the suspect was black? Quite possibly.
It is also quite possible race had nothing to do with it.

Old 09-11-2015, 12:11 PM

69 posts, read 60,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneCounty View Post
Yeah, he's half white, so the cops are wrong this time!!
The cops are wrong because they forcefully apprehended the wrong person.

You fail to realize that in many instances when a black guy is arrested, usually he is the correct suspect. This in no way excuses the police for murdering suspects, but you can't compare Michael Brown or Eric Gardner to James Blake. James Blake is an upstanding citizen.

Old 09-11-2015, 12:17 PM

69 posts, read 60,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
And you specifically ignored the fact that America treats men like him as black, wether he indentifies it or not. Doesn't matter if he speaks the king's Enlgish, doesn't matter if he wears nice clothes and doesn't sag his pants, doesn't matter if he has a pretty white wife. He's still subject to get his ass beat by the police like any common thug...err I mean black man.

In this instance, Blake didn't fight w/ the police. When given the opportunity to present his ID, he did, and was allowed to leave. He was let go, because the police made a horrible mistake.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:10 PM

50,902 posts, read 36,586,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
I would say that the cop wont be fired. He will lose some vacation days. He will get retraining and a transfer.
He's already been put on desk duty and had his gun taken away. When the Police Commissioner of NYC is doing press conferences to apologize again to Blake and to update the investigation into what happened, I don't think it's a case that will be brushed under the rug that easily. They're going to throw him under the bus, and they should, although IMO the problems are systemic.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:33 PM

464 posts, read 452,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLass View Post
You fail to realize that in many instances when a black guy is arrested, usually he is the correct suspect. This in no way excuses the police for murdering suspects, but you can't compare Michael Brown or Eric Gardner to James Blake. James Blake is an upstanding citizen.
You're innocent until proven guilty, unless if you're black, then you're guilty even after being proven innocent. Right wing terrorists and Confederates will be the final downfall of American society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events