Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2015, 06:41 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
I love the experts on Current Events forum. I find them amusing. I used to run the union in my precinct before I retired. I know how the system works. I know how the trial room works. The only way this cop gets fired is if its done because its Mr Blake. The PO's lawyers would have a field day with this. Like I have said before he will lose 30 days vacation. He will be placed on one years probation. He will be booted from his plain clothes detail. He will be sent to retraining. Heck they may even place him in an inside gig that he will never get another cent of overtime in.
Thank you for sharing your perspective and experience with us. What I am getting from your post is that, for the NYPD at least, there is no effective control over the police and there is no effective accountability for their actions. Of course we know that Mayor Di Blasio was elected patly because of community concerns about policing in New York. This suggests that he still has a long way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 09:58 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,972,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Did the officer not ask Blake for ID before apprehending him? If he did and Blake resisted in providing ID, then i don't see anything wrong with tackling Blake. However, if he just went by the face and tackled him without any identification being asked, then the officer should be fired.
This is not a personal attack but your comment is a result of too much exposure of a profession on social media. There is this expectation of expertise. Police work is not what you see on TV. It's not always point by point. But because law enforcement has been on current events more often, even those without zero experience seem to think they know police procedures. There are rights, and there are police procedures that allow them to do their jobs.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Well, um, yeah, the cop used poor judgement -- there's repercussion when that happens. Not sure what your point is.
That is the thing, you did EXACTLY what the officer did. You did not think, you just spoke. Well, in this case, wrote out your thoughts without thinking deeper.

The issue is that there are many police that are good technically and by the book. They know every law in the book to the point where they can even write out police exams and sell them on Amazon like former Baltimore PD officer Michael Wood- aka the Fraud.

These guys are good at their jobs just like a an IT geek is great with computers. However, they lack customer service skills and social judgement. Social judgement doesn't come automatically. technical skills like mechanic work is entry level- you all learn all these same skills at the academy. What sets you apart is your social critical thinking and people skills. These skills also need to be enhanced- they don't' come naturally to everyone.

Also, the problem with many of you experts is that you don't realize that the same dude you see on your video you would call a hero if he came to save you from a home invasion. But you don't realize that their energy need to be guided because if not, you get what you did in that video. Police don't get this social critical guidance enough. Instead, it's fire them or put them on desk duty.

But this is way too much for you. You much rather HATE HATE HATE... You are no different than the police officer in that you lack social depth. Now that is deep... You can't break it down like I did, can you?

Old 09-14-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creator03 View Post
There are bad apples in every field of occupation including departments of city officials and servants; I think that's well established. I just feel that the department like the PD should have no place for out of control employees as such and they shall not given reprieve of any sort. The problem however is that this type of behavior exhibited by PD is prevalent and they are spared of any kind of significant repercussions even more so than by your average companies.

I don't want to hear, "but they have such a tough job" argument, either.
Granted the above statement may be true, nevertheless the citizens they are sworn to protect cannot be the prop for them to blow off steam.
Ok, so now you tell me- how do you train these guys to employ better social critical skills? Do you just throw them away? Aren't these same hot heads you want to come save you if you are being kidnapped and they risk their own lives to save you?

I mean really, if you look at it, a person must be crazy to willingly put their lives on the line to come save a person they don't know. A screw has to be loose somewhere to subject themselves to violence on the daily. But yet, we think of them as robots in that they can simply shut it off whenever right?

Again, too many social media experts that think they know but don't. Try spending a 12 hour shift from 6PM to 6AM and have to go home to take the kids home and perform daily errands. Get only 2 hours of sleep to then get back to work at 6PM going from call to call non-stop.

But your excuse is: "they shouldn't have signed up for the job". So I ask you, WHO ELSE IS GOING TO DO IT? Are you? You have no clue. Nobody is getting a pass but police work, you don't get to watch it from TV. You have to go after active shooters. After a while, just like military down range, it does something to you over time... It's called PTSD. LOOK IT UP.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
I remember years ago my father (fdny) was coming home from work and I ran out to greet him at night. He swung on me and almost connected. Its a NY survival instinct. Lol.. In the south you would be shot.
Take that same reaction and apply it to police that chase after NYC survivalists all day long. Oh, so your father could be a hot head cause he lives in NY but that can't translate to the public that police have to deal with? So ideally, the cops should have a easier time dealing with the weak punk public in the south right? Think about that.

I know am messing things up cause I am getting so deep but hey...

Ok cops, move to the south. This way you can have an easy job and deal with weak punk southerners.!!

Old 09-14-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
If you read some of the comments on this site and other sites they say that blake acted perfectly . I disagree... Nobody should be that passive when some strange man is tossing them to the ground .
That's because you don't understand psychology. You apply the think one, think all concept. Some people fight, some people comply, some people run. People respond differently. Some people hit and run. Should we all now hit and run? Some people walk over dead bodies, should we do so as well? Some people scream and freeze up, should we all freeze up as well? Some people film a person getting their ass kicked and not even come to their aid. Should we film an entire fight scene like Stephen King and not help the victims?

I am not attacking but it's not as easy. People always seem to think that whatever they would do applies to everyone else.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It would be good to get rid of bad apples and replace them with police officers who know what they're doing.

I am going to play devil's advocate for a moment. I don't think this is a right way of thinking. I am not saying that this kind of thinking is the case. I'm simply listing a scenario in which could take place.

This is a theory that I have thought about. There could be some in power who won't get rid of bad apples. One reason I have considered is that said person's feel that said bad apples are a necessity. I'm not saying they're a necessity. I'm merely stating that said person in power could think this way.
-In the eyes of said person in power, Blacks are considered a trouble, crime prone population. Perhaps those bad apples are looked at as important in "controlling the Black population".
-Perhaps the persons in power are not interested in having decent relations between the police and civilians. Rather, said persons want a police state where people are frightened enough to obey.

Again, I'm not saying this is right. I'm not even saying this is definitely the case. I'm simply saying this is a theory. Handling James Blake the way those officers did was not called for. No resisting arrest, no aggressive behavior. I sometimes wonder if said officers are allowed to go on power trips like this because the Black population is considered such a threat, that even decent, hardworking Black people can get abused.
You are almost there but you are getting caught in the weeds. Unfortunately, you don't have the police experience. If you did, you would be able to formulate a more comprehensive statement. I am not attacking you but there is so much fat underneath.

I will leave you with this- what about that people like you who need courageous "bad apples" to come save your life in a burning vehicle. Then, yes, sure, they are awesome. But that same craziness that took to help you also bleeds into other areas such as mistaken identity and post traumatic symptoms of dealing with crud over a 10-15 year period. Like I said, it's not so easy.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:38 AM

5,862 posts, read 3,301,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
That's because you don't understand psychology. You apply the think one, think all concept. Some people fight, some people comply, some people run. People respond differently. Some people hit and run. Should we all now hit and run? Some people walk over dead bodies, should we do so as well? Some people scream and freeze up, should we all freeze up as well? Some people film a person getting their ass kicked and not even come to their aid. Should we film an entire fight scene like Stephen King and not help the victims?

I am not attacking but it's not as easy. People always seem to think that whatever they would do applies to everyone else.
That is very true. I think about what I would have done effecting that arrest. I think I would have handled it differently. However was he wrong by gaining an immediate tactical advantage? I really don't think he was. People act as if he was body slammed into the ground. That was a controlled takedown. The cop didn't get on top and start punch and kicking Mr Blake. Where this cop gets in trouble is that he did not file a SQF. I have had witnesses do the same to me. I made the arrest and then they had second thoughts or got scared about being involved. I always filled out the SQF(250). They had a box that stated report from witness. Check that box and you were covered. As I said before he will get in trouble for failure to file necessary paperwork and for failure to notify a supervisor. He will not be fired for this!!

Old 09-14-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
That is very true. I think about what I would have done effecting that arrest. I think I would have handled it differently. However was he wrong by gaining an immediate tactical advantage? I really don't think he was. People act as if he was body slammed into the ground. That was a controlled takedown. The cop didn't get on top and start punch and kicking Mr Blake. Where this cop gets in trouble is that he did not file a SQF. I have had witnesses do the same to me. I made the arrest and then they had second thoughts or got scared about being involved. I always filled out the SQF(250). They had a box that stated report from witness. Check that box and you were covered. As I said before he will get in trouble for failure to file necessary paperwork and for failure to notify a supervisor. He will not be fired for this!!
Great points.

Like I said in my previous post, this officer executed a grade A and sound handcuffing technique. He also provided Blake assistance and talked to him as he lifted Blake off to his feet. It was not an all out drag. Blake complied, which made life really easy for EVERYONE.

As you pointed out, however technical ace he is, the officer's social critical skills wasn't properly channeled. I am not casting overall judgement but speaking in terms of this particular incident, especially considering the situation and suspected crime. But again, who knows what he had to deal with all day.

In my opinion, Blake should use this as a way to promote social critical judgement for officers. He should be proud of our NYPD police officers in that they have at least the balls to carry out their duties, unlike most who rather watch dancing with the stars. Blake was not hurt and he should chalk it up to an error.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:54 AM

5,862 posts, read 3,301,312 times
At the NYPD INTAC training they teach police officers to use tactics in many different scenarios. They also give police officers different options in each scenario. There was nothing about that takedown that was wildly different from the way he was trained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events