Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2015, 05:34 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
The TG term really did not get used until the 2000s although its origin was in the 70s (per Wikiepdia) plus that was around 30 years before me. Many people from the 70s,80s,and millenials are against it too. I luv how advocates try to use their everybody is with it except you lingo. Outright lies.
Keep trying (amigo or amiga)
So, what the hell will romance languages liek Spanish, French, Portuguese, an Italian do with masculine and feminine labels with a TG? I'll tell you what they'll do. They will address them as male or female. Sorry once again, sir or ms. Ooops, you got me again...Just no other way to address it. So, stop the idiotic movement. It ain't happening dog.
It was happening long before Europeans arrived in America...

Quote:
Two-Spirit (also two spirit or twospirit) is a modern umbrella term used by some indigenous North Americans to describe gender-variant individuals in their communities.[1] The term was adopted in 1990 at an Indigenous lesbian and gay international gathering to encourage the replacement of the anthropological term berdache.[2] It is a spiritual role that is recognized and confirmed by the Two-Spirit's indigenous community. While some have found the term a useful tool for intertribal organizing, not all Native cultures conceptualize gender this way, and most tribes use names in their own languages.[2][3] While pan-Indian terms are not always appropriate or welcome, the term has generally received more acceptance and use than the term it replaced.[2]

Third and fourth gender roles traditionally embodied by two-spirit people include performing work and wearing clothing associated with both men and women. Not all tribes/nations have rigid gender roles, but, among those that do, some consider there to be at least four genders: masculine man, feminine man, masculine woman, feminine woman.

The presence of male-bodied two-spirits "was a fundamental institution among most tribal peoples"[4] and, according to Will Roscoe, both male- and female-bodied two-spirits have been documented "in over 130 North American tribes, in every region of the continent."[5]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-Spirit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 05:35 PM

290 posts, read 366,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I'm sure this will keep lawyers employed for decades to come and all the more reason not to do business in New York
You might think that, but our economy's doing quite nicely regardless and last year, our tech industry was found to grow by a higher percentage than other U.S. tech "hubs." Just one of the perks of being an international business and finance hub.

NYC, like its West Coast counterpart, San Francisco, has historically been a haven for the LGBT community well before we increased our acceptance and sense of belonging in other cities. In the case of a trans man or trans woman, it is simply disrespectful to mis-gender the employee, and creates feelings of isolation and of not belonging — exactly like referring to a man who was born male and IDs as male as a "girl" or "woman" at work would be to that employee.

If those in this thread who oppose gender reassignment and the like find this to be objectionable, they are free, as they've always been, to avoid consorting with communities that protect trans rights, and are as welcome to not live in NYC as they were prior to this event. However, one thing they may be unable to avoid doing is unknowingly living near or working with a trans person, especially a younger trans man or trans woman. The younger generations have the opportunity to transition earlier in life, and medical technology has gotten to the point that it is impossible to tell that someone has changed his/her gender. Finally, a number of trans individuals go "deep stealth," so their natal genders are not known to anyone but their birth families and, if it's their preference to confide, trusted allies in the community. If you were to meet this 20something trans woman I befriended through our mutually preferred music scene, you'd never, ever guess her natal gender. And there are more people like her today than at any point in the past.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:41 PM

2,284 posts, read 1,584,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
It was happening long before Europeans arrived in America...

Not all tribes/nations have rigid gender roles, but, among those that do, some consider there to be at least four genders: masculine man, feminine man, masculine woman, feminine woman.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-Spirit
Based on that, then why not just call them, a femme-man, or a mascu-woman. TG is in between (no pun). If a TG identifies with that gender, you would think they want to be called by that gender, not something in between, right?

Old 12-29-2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
Based on that, then why not just call them, a femme-man, or a mascu-woman. TG is in between (no pun). If a TG identifies with that gender, you would think they want to be called by that gender, not something in between, right?
It's not my place to tell someone what I think they should be called.

There are a lot of gender fluid cultures in the world, have been since recorded history.

So this is not some Johnny Come Lately PC movement.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:01 PM

743 posts, read 766,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
That's once again putting the blame on the victims as opposed to the victimizers. And as I've said, trans people, especially trans women, are particularly vulnerable to being victims of violence because they are forced into doing things like sex work.
Forced? Not. Nobody is putting a gun to their heads. They simply realize there's more fast money to be made for their procedures through hooking than through a regular job.
And I'm not blaming the victim, I'm stating the fact that's it's a dangerous way to earn money.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinish View Post
Forced? Not. Nobody is putting a gun to their heads. They simply realize there's more fast money to be made for their procedures through hooking than through a regular job.
And I'm not blaming the victim, I'm stating the fact that's it's a dangerous way to earn money.
Is that what they simply realize?

You don't think transgender persons have a bit of a problem finding gainful employment in the mainstream sector?

Even when they do, there's a bunch of crap to deal with. My transgender niece in law had to quit her job in customer service because of the daily threats and harassment. If you do not think her life is in danger where she is in suburban Michigan - even in a normal job - then you've got your head in the sand. (Yes, I realize you don't know her, that's a rhetorical question).

Old 12-29-2015, 06:14 PM

743 posts, read 766,432 times
Quote:
Is that what they simply realize?

You don't think transgender persons have a bit of a problem finding gainful employment in the mainstream sector?

Even when they do, there's a bunch of crap to deal with. My transgender niece in law had to quit her job in customer service because of the daily threats and harassment. If you do not think her life is in danger where she is in suburban Michigan - even in a normal job - then you've got your head in the sand. (Yes, I realize you don't know her, that's a rhetorical question).
Yes. Don't believe everything he/she tells you ... After all, you ARE dealing with a person with a chemical imbalance.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:16 PM

2,284 posts, read 1,584,149 times
Quote:
It's not my place to tell someone what I think they should be called.

There are a lot of gender fluid cultures in the world, have been since recorded history.

So this is not some Johnny Come Lately PC movement.
So there is just a gap of 100s of years in the U.S. and other countries to acknowledge the movement IF it existed since recorded history as you proclaim. I don't buy it and neither will the millions of other young, old, middle-age people. People will call them as they see them, a man or a woman. I'm not calling your dog a chicken if it has feathers or a cat if it purrs.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:00 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Even in the same breath of saying you understand my view, you make a comment about being kind.
Kindness has nothing to do with this discussion.
I am not a paid mental health worker who as part of their job must pour water on a person who thinks they are a carrot, or agree that the imaginary parakeet on a persons shoulder is cute. That is being kind to someone enveloped in a fantasy or mental illness.

Since trannys do not effect my daily life, frankly I do not care what they do so long as they do not try to be "loud & proud".
Keep your own sexual hang ups to yourself and I say live and let live. If Bob wants to wear a dress and it does not effect me or the business, so be it. However Bob had better not come up to me and want to discuss he weirdness with me and expect me to enable his delusion. I also wouldn't expect a fascist government saying I must go along with the fantasy or be coerced into doing so under threat of financial ruin.
People "being kind" by lying/pretending something is real when it isn't, is only enabling others. Then as you can see by the OP, the next step is mandating "kindness" with the tip of the government spear.

`
Gender and sexuality are two different things. Read a book. How do you expect anyone to take you seriously when you say things that apparently you are ignorant about?

Old 12-29-2015, 07:04 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,230,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
The New York City Commission on Human Rights has issued rules that fine employers for referring to transsexuals by their real gender.

The new “guidance” (“NYC Pronoun Ban”), which has power to levy hefty fines against “violators” who “discriminate,” is an extension of the New York City Human Rights Law, based on the city’s laws against gender discrimination.

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/ny...xuals-by-their
Does this mean if an employer refers to me by real gender, man, can I sue too or, do i have to get my "banana peeled" to qualify suing deblasio's regime? What an absolutely retarded law. Talk about a law that will backfire!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events