Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 08:15 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,540,188 times

Advertisements

I like the idea of texting with a phone in a movie theater while trying to engross oneself in a movie. But why stop there? Let us allow talking on the phone, playing gansta rap as loud as the speakers will allow, play games with their silly music and sound effects, take flash selfies, have obnoxious ring tones...

One of the many reasons all my movies are watched in the comfort and solitude of my own home with a bowl of stovetop popped popcorn and a fizzy water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 08:25 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,485,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura 524 View Post
This is far too easy to answer by taking a cheap shot in return, but it hardly seems worth it.

How many others have been enlightened to learn that seeing movies on a somewhat regular basis has a bearing on whether or not a person is fun at a party?
I do not think it is as much what you said as how you said it. Seeing or not seeing movies does not make one a better person.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:25 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,954,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Kind of a side conversation, but I also hate how theaters are now selling cooked food such as hot dogs, chicken fingers, mini pizzas, etc. Nothing like sitting in a theater that smells like McDonalds.
I don't understand this complaint at all. You're in a MOVIE THEATER, for goodness' sake. Buttered popcorn absolutely drips with fat, and theaters have sold hot dogs and nachos forever. If you can't stand the smell, you have the option of staying at home or going to a vegetarian restaurant.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:27 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,494,930 times
What's funny is when I go to the local theater here which is a Cinemark they actually turn on some kind of jammer in the theater. Sure I could use my phone apps and what not but my cell signal drops to nothing when the trailers start. Not to mention they have the really comfy lounger seats that power recline and you have to reserve tickets for the movie and pick a seat like an airplane.

Worth the added $ of the ticket because they also serve beer and have a great concession stand. But if they started allowing something like this I'd just go back to skipping the movies again. I was on a hiatus for many years until the new theater arrived.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:32 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,834,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I don't understand this complaint at all. You're in a MOVIE THEATER, for goodness' sake. Buttered popcorn absolutely drips with fat, and theaters have sold hot dogs and nachos forever. If you can't stand the smell, you have the option of staying at home or going to a vegetarian restaurant.
I do.

The smell of McDonalds and similar is a greasey one and is gross and pervasive. Do not use butter or is mazola that is used?[have seen the local AMC staff pouring Mazola corn oil into the butter dispensers] But do not find it offensive as it is just lightly warmed to melting point. There is a difference. My nose knows.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:45 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,989,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
It is funny how you capitalized movie theater and not restaurant. You go to a theater to watch a movie, not eat dinner. Snacks are one thing, meals are another. There are theaters that specialize in dinner and a show (i.e. Alamo). You go to this type of theater, you should expect the theater to smell like a restaurant.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:03 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,526,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I never stopped texting! As long as it's silent, WTF does anyone care? I don't get it AT ALL. Maybe reserve the last third of the rows so that no one has to see the evil texters?

Why are you at the movies then? Are you so addicted to texting that you can't pause for two hours to look at something you spent money on or are you afraid that no one would think that you are special if you don't constantly text? Why not just stay at home and text to your hearts content?

Old 04-15-2016, 09:17 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,989,042 times
I guess AMC understood the backlash they received. No texting!!

AMC Theatres says it's not going to allow texting at the movies - Apr. 15, 2016

Old 04-15-2016, 09:20 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,952,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
What's funny is when I go to the local theater here which is a Cinemark they actually turn on some kind of jammer in the theater. Sure I could use my phone apps and what not but my cell signal drops to nothing when the trailers start. Not to mention they have the really comfy lounger seats that power recline and you have to reserve tickets for the movie and pick a seat like an airplane.

Worth the added $ of the ticket because they also serve beer and have a great concession stand. But if they started allowing something like this I'd just go back to skipping the movies again. I was on a hiatus for many years until the new theater arrived.
Our Century theaters are part of the Cinemark chain. I was thrilled to find they have entire auditoriums of the recliner seats and that they remove people who are disruptive with their phones. We've actually started going to the movies again. Like you, we had stopped going for over a decade.

The recliner seats don't seem that expensive. I think I pay $8 for a ticket.

I'm also impressed with their customer service. I got confused and booked two recliner seats in what I thought was the back of the auditorium -- but it was actually front row seating. We were able to change them for what we wanted before the movie started.

Is it possible that AMC is trying to create a social media controversy by saying they're thinking about allowing texting?

Old 04-15-2016, 09:21 AM

860 posts, read 1,336,917 times
This is probably just another way to raise ticket prices. AMC already charges $14 for a regular night time non-3D showing. How much more do they think people will pay? I don't bother going to movies anymore either. Not to mention most movies are boring anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events