Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 08:20 PM

29,533 posts, read 22,797,163 times

Advertisements

Resistance is futile

Clash Of The Screens: Should Movie Theaters Allow Texting? AMC Says Maybe : All Tech Considered : NPR

Quote:
Texting at the movies is usually annoying and usually banned. But the CEO of the giant movie theater chain AMC says maybe it's time to rethink that.

AMC Entertainment CEO Adam Aron floated a trial balloon in an interview with Variety at CinemaCon, a film industry trade convention, saying the chain has considered adding showings where using your cellphone will be allowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 08:42 PM

953 posts, read 846,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Resistance is futile
Never have I been as pleased as I am now to not be a moviegoer.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:01 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,194,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura 524 View Post
Never have I been as pleased as I am now to not be a moviegoer.
I'll bet you're fun at parties.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:06 PM

32,723 posts, read 48,321,659 times
I stopped going to movie theaters years ago, because audiences have become so rude: talking, making loud comments about the movie, acting like they are the only ones there and there is no one else to be disturbed. So, if they are all going to be texting, I'll never see it.

I have to say, though, that I'd rather they all text their "hilarious" snarky comments about the movie instead of shouting them out for the whole audience to hear.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:57 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,602,505 times
Haven't been to an AMC in over a decade. I go to Alamo Drafthouse 95% of the time.

Old 04-15-2016, 02:00 AM

953 posts, read 846,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
I'll bet you're fun at parties.
This is far too easy to answer by taking a cheap shot in return, but it hardly seems worth it.

How many others have been enlightened to learn that seeing movies on a somewhat regular basis has a bearing on whether or not a person is fun at a party?

Old 04-15-2016, 03:12 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,534,028 times

Noted that the article states that it would be allowed at "some" showings. Can you imagine the description? 3D showing, texting allowed. Personally, I'd just pay attention and attend the showings that don't allow texting, just let me know ahead of time. Same way that I avoid 3D movies.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:49 AM

18,968 posts, read 11,626,959 times
The light from texting in a movie theatre is so grrrr - makes me want to throw a shoe at the back of the Texters head! Usually it's an adult - rarely see 20s and under using their phones after the trailers start. I don't think having texting at some screenings would prevent those onesies and twosies who do it regardless of the rules.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:53 AM

8,401 posts, read 4,399,872 times
In the early days of Blue Tooth one of its potential uses being touted was the ability to silence phones in restricted areas and such. For some reason it has never been put into use that I know of. Probably because of crippling emergence use.

I do not go to many movies but when I do, I want to be immersed. I do not want people talking insistently, I do not want flickering lights, I do not want dings, pings and ring tones playing. They are all disruptive to the movie going experience. The last time my wife and I went to a move, the price of tickets, popcorn and a drink topped $30. That's why we don't go to the theater unless we deem a movie as potentially "big screen worthy". I will not spend that kind of money to be entertained and have some one directly in front of me texting and playing games on their phone. I'll get up, go ask for a refund and wait to see it on TV.

I can already see walk in movies going the way of the drive in. That may be what the movie industry wants. It would not surprise me if pay per view is a much bigger slice of the pie than than the box office. Its all about the money.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:19 AM

17,497 posts, read 22,253,044 times
Sounds like AMC just nailed their coffin shut with this great idea....

The CEO must have been the guy that invented "New Coke" back in the 80's and the Sony Betamax!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events