Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 01:24 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,337,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Actually I only occasionally text and usually only while waiting for the movie to start. Really, the light from a phone is distracting? If the movie is a decent one I'm usually so engrossed I don't notice what anyone else is doing! I think people expect a lot for their $12 ticket...it IS for a 2 hour movie after all - there's not a lot of entertainment that can be had for that price. And nope, I don't buy overpriced theater food - I go after a meal and can manage without eating for 2 hours.
Funny how the story changes. At any rate, if a phone is distracting to others, it's distracting. Who are you to say it isn't? Movie theaters have a rule against it for a reason. I don't see the need to be constantly looking at your phone. Are you a surgeon that is on call? Please, relax and enjoy the movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 01:51 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
Quote:
Actually I only occasionally text and usually only while waiting for the movie to start. Really, the light from a phone is distracting? If the movie is a decent one I'm usually so engrossed I don't notice what anyone else is doing! I think people expect a lot for their $12 ticket...it IS for a 2 hour movie after all - there's not a lot of entertainment that can be had for that price. And nope, I don't buy overpriced theater food - I go after a meal and can manage without eating for 2 hours.
Perhaps it's not distracting to you, but multiple posters in this thread have expressed that it is distracting to them. So out of respect for others, don't text for two hours. It won't kill you.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:55 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,234,748 times
Quote:
Really, the light from a phone is distracting?
yes. yes it is. as someone else said, it is not allowed for a reason. because it is distracting to people. maybe not everyone cares. but enough people do care, hence...it is not allowed.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:57 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,176,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Kind of a side conversation, but I also hate how theaters are now selling cooked food such as hot dogs, chicken fingers, mini pizzas, etc. Nothing like sitting in a theater that smells like McDonalds.
Wait, they have McDonalds restaurants in theaters now?? Gross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
This is why I go to movies a few weeks after release and during the week day if possible. That way, less people of all age groups and less chance of things like this happening. I go to the movie to see the movie, not a bunch of white screens below me in the dark while I'm trying to watch the movie.

If something is soooo important that you must use the phone, why are you at the movies?
I do this, just because I don't like big crowds. Nothing like waiting till the movie has been out a week or two, then going on a weekday evening and enjoying a relatively empty theater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Really? I don't see the light as distracting. It's hardly pitch black in a theater. You have lights along the floor and steps, lights on counters and tables in the "studio grill" type theaters, lights along the walls. I'm sure there will be guidelines and texting will be conditional on following them, like dim your screens, silence notifications, and maybe restrict to the back rows.

I think it's a non-issue and there won't be that much more texting than there is now.
Agreed. It doesn't bother me.

Then again, I'm not a grumpy, uptight person.

Old 04-15-2016, 02:14 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,478,720 times
Why does anyone need to text during a movie?

Old 04-15-2016, 03:12 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,337,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Why does anyone need to text during a movie?
It's amazing to me the sheer amount of people that really struggle to ever put their phones down. It is a serious addiction as far as I can tell. I'll see two people out having dinner, and they are more engaged with their phones than the person sitting directly across from them. I will go to my gave not understanding it.

Smart phones are amazing technology, and I love mine. But I know when to put it down.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:35 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,482,549 times
This is the reason I go to drive-in theatres. You can text, eat a hot dog, fornicate, and howl at the moon all at the same time, and you won't bother a soul.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:17 PM

6,232 posts, read 3,612,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityMan View Post
Haven't been to an AMC in over a decade. I go to Alamo Drafthouse 95% of the time.
I have been waiting several years from them to open in Los Angeles! Screw AMC.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:15 PM

22,343 posts, read 29,452,102 times
AMC will be hit with big losses after this. I will not step foot into an AMC theatre if this is allowed. You can spend 2 hours away from your phone and if you can't DON'T GO TO THE MOVIES

Old 04-15-2016, 05:16 PM

22,343 posts, read 29,452,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
It's amazing to me the sheer amount of people that really struggle to ever put their phones down. It is a serious addiction as far as I can tell. I'll see two people out having dinner, and they are more engaged with their phones than the person sitting directly across from them. I will go to my gave not understanding it.

Smart phones are amazing technology, and I love mine. But I know when to put it down.

Don't get me started on this. I'm a server and I see it all day long. No human interaction with each other at dinner whether it's a couple or a family. It's pathetic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events