Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 09:52 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,519,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace_country View Post
They do make manure catcher bags (many of which are amish made). They don't work very well though from what i'm told.
They work just fine in Central Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 09:53 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Societal progress has been proven to be a good thing in most regards. The Amish and Mennonite orders cannot pretend not to have benefitted by many things they have "chosen" to accept of modern developments that adherence of their religious tenets would clearly prohibit.

Intermarriage was common but when birth defects began to crop up and modern medicine was scorned to affect treatment, they overlooked their strict beliefs and sought out treatments from chiropractic practitioners who ultimately told them a child living in pain was not something they were willing to overlook and would pass along a report to governing bodies who could and would intervene to force "proper and effective" surgical relief.

The reputation for excellent animal husbandry is not always well founded either as they're noted for purchasing retired trotters and pacers for pennies on the dollar and using them very poorly. Their cattle are not always kept in the best of environments either when commonly viewing a small mud-to-the-knees fenced enclosure housing cattle that can barely move out there 24/7 in fair or fowl weather.

Horses pulling buggies need not be equipped with a diaper or "bun bag" physically attached to the horse itself. A very effective means of suspending a catcher bag between the shafts ahead of the singletree for collecting the "buns" have been used for centuries by many countries.

Were these Amish as enterprising as they claim; collecting horse droppings to then be sold as the best rose bush fertilizer known to man, could be an option. As children, we were delegated by dad to take the coal shovel out to the road to collect the droppings from the various delivery vehicles for use as fertilizer for his plantings.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:54 AM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Is Amish buggy traffic really heavy? Really whats a plop of horse poo or two its organic. It will feed the birds and wash away next rain only to fertilize the ground.
LOL! A "plop" of horse poo will NOT "wash away in the next rain".

Old 01-23-2017, 09:54 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,776,438 times
I have a better idea! Why not make the low level lawbreakers do community service.
Give them a wheelbarrow and a shovel and problem solved.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:00 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,681,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1313 View Post
I can't believe this is even an issue. Something stinks and it not the horse poop. Did any of you ever live in the country?

How many of you have cat litter boxes in your house? And y'all are worried about poop on a road that you won't be driving or walking thru!

Alrighty then...
Why do you say it's poop on a road that no one will drive or walk through? Someone already posted that their tires are constantly caked in horse poo. Any place I have ever lived have laws requiring dog owners to "scoop the poop." Horses leave a much bigger mess than dogs do.

It's very ironic to me that an Amish person would claim horse diapers violate their religious beliefs, yet they have no qualms using public roads built with the very technologies they are supposed to shun.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:01 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,835,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1313 View Post
I can't believe this is even an issue. Something stinks and it not the horse poop. Did any of you ever live in the country?

How many of you have cat litter boxes in your house? And y'all are worried about poop on a road that you won't be driving or walking thru!

Alrighty then...
I live in the mountains. We have deer, elk, moose, coyotes and rabbits who poo all over the place. It doesn't stink or make a mess, like horse crap.

Besides, since they aren't pets, they tend to spread around their poo since they're not following human trails/roads.

They also don't tend to spread weeds, since they eat what's on the ground, not some cheap hay that's full of weeds.

It's the worst when you're hiking or mountain biking. Breathing in the stink and the fly's as you're sucking wind, grinding up a mountain side with 40+ pounds of gear.

Obviously, it's not as bad on a roadway, but the same principles apply. Your pet, your responsibility to clean it up. End of story. It's not the 1800's anymore.

Did I mention the spread of weeds?

Last edited by Colorado^; 01-23-2017 at 10:26 AM..

Old 01-23-2017, 10:01 AM

361 posts, read 385,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
This is a group that doesn't want to vaccinate their children from disease. They think sending kids to school through eighth grade is sufficient. There are issues within the community that pertain to domestic abuse and child abuse that are a direct result of their religious teachings.

I basically see people like that as at war with the modern world.

I don't dispute their right to their religious beliefs--no matter how wacky they may be.

What I have a problem with is when it begins to affect the rest of us. This situation with the horse dung may be a relatively minor issue, but its the same story. They want to live their life, their way. They don't particularly care whether it bothers the rest of us or not.

I don't deal well with people like that.
Mark,

Whilst I agree with you I think we should tread lightly here. The next thing you know the Amish will demand to be exempt from Social Security withholdings.

It's the unintended consequences we need to be mindful of.................

Old 01-23-2017, 10:02 AM

112 posts, read 133,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
They work just fine in Central Park.

Quote:
“Also we’ve heard from residents along Central Park West and Central Park South especially in the summer time when the sun is roasting down on the manure who really feel like it’s a quality of life issue,” Carly Knudson said.

The Health Department was monumentally unmoved by the issue, arguing that horse manure is not a health issue, unless people consume it
http://https://www.google.ca/amp/new...?client=safari

They can also rub and slip too.

In conclusion though don't eat the poop and you'll be fine!

Old 01-23-2017, 10:20 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
I know of no other group that could litter the highways with feces of any variety with impunity.

They should have to follow the law.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:22 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,776,438 times
Wait til PETA heard or see open sores on horses .... That'll go over well. They'll get horses banned and the you'll just have trucks on the road and potholes.

Progrss, more air pollution, more oil, and gas needed, more global warming...

This is gonna be fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events