Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2019, 12:49 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times

Advertisements

The seat size, handled all people until just a few years. Then the airlines cut the size of the seat, and some are smaller than others depending on which air line you are flying can cause even more problems due to even smaller sized seats.

The airlines created the problem when they cut the seat size to be able to carry more passengers and make more money.

I am 6'2" tall, weigh ideal weight plus or minus 3 pounds. I have big bones and a big frame. I will hang over the seats on airlines, as much as 3 inches each side. I take over the arm rests on both side of me, my legs are long enough that the person in front of me cannot lay their seat back.

The disgusting thing on this thread, is tiny people, are proposing that I have to pay a huge additional fee to fly. This would be discrimination, based on height.

It is not the fault of the bigger passengers, if they are not fat, but are just tall people, with a normal build.

Instead of little tiny people fitting into airline seats, just enlarge the seats width and leg room back to what they used to be, so everyone is comfortable when flying, and everyone regardless of size will fit into the seats.

It will cost all of us a little more to fly, and will be fair to everybody. I don't feel big or really extra tall. Where I grew up, 6'2 up to about 6'5" tall was very common, in no way unique. About 1/3rd of the local population were Scandinavian in race group, and were tall. Our 6th grade class had equal boys and girls of 10 each. When we started the 6th grade there were 4 boys that had already reached 6'2" tall or more, and one of us my closest friend was 6'5" tall. We had all reached our full height by the time we turned 12.

Lets end the discrimination against tall people, expecting them to pay a lot more to fly, than small people. We have laws about discrimination against race, country of origination, sex, etc. It is time we pass a law against discrimination against tall and larger people, and people stop preaching the hate against tall and bigger people that we are seeing on this post.

It is just as offensive to us, and the moderators cut off sites with preaching hatred against other groups of people. it is time that the moderators stop this discrimination against tall and larger people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 12:54 PM

10,755 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The seat size, handled all people until just a few years. Then the airlines cut the size of the seat, and some are smaller than others depending on which air line you are flying can cause even more problems due to even smaller sized seats.

The airlines created the problem when they cut the seat size to be able to carry more passengers and make more money.

I am 6'2" tall, weigh ideal weight plus or minus 3 pounds. I have big bones and a big frame. I will hang over the seats on airlines, as much as 3 inches each side. I take over the arm rests on both side of me, my legs are long enough that the person in front of me cannot lay their seat back.

The disgusting thing on this thread, is tiny people, are proposing that I have to pay a huge additional fee to fly. This would be discrimination, based on height.

It is not the fault of the bigger passengers, if they are not fat, but are just tall people, with a normal build.

Instead of little tiny people fitting into airline seats, just enlarge the seats width and leg room back to what they used to be, so everyone is comfortable when flying, and everyone regardless of size will fit into the seats.

It will cost all of us a little more to fly, and will be fair to everybody. I don't feel big or really extra tall. Where I grew up, 6'2 up to about 6'5" tall was very common, in no way unique. About 1/3rd of the local population were Scandinavian in race group, and were tall. Our 6th grade class had equal boys and girls of 10 each. When we started the 6th grade there were 4 boys that had already reached 6'2" tall or more, and one of us my closest friend was 6'5" tall. We had all reached our full height by the time we turned 12.

Lets end the discrimination against tall people, expecting them to pay a lot more to fly, than small people. We have laws about discrimination against race, country of origination, sex, etc. It is time we pass a law against discrimination against tall and larger people, and people stop preaching the hate against tall and bigger people that we are seeing on this post.

It is just as offensive to us, and the moderators cut off sites with preaching hatred against other groups of people. it is time that the moderators stop this discrimination against tall and larger people.
A simple question: Do you believe that airlines are under some obligation to make seats a certain size, and if so, how was this obligation created?

Old 02-13-2019, 02:13 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
A simple question: Do you believe that airlines are under some obligation to make seats a certain size, and if so, how was this obligation created?
Yes, we expect them to see to our safety while they fly and they should at least see to our comfort the same way, if for no other reason than safety as well. You'd have to be dead not to notice so many more incidents happening on the airlines these days and it's not all related to increased media attention. One of these days people are going to assault and badly hurt a flight attendant or a pilot. Other passengers are already getting assaulted. And a great deal of that is due to irritation by being shoved too close to another passenger. People will fight back when their territories are invaded, just like any other animal.

They created this obligation by asking passengers to fly with them and pay for the privilege. It's a business. If they make people so upset that they don't want to fly anymore, that business goes down the tubes.

And there's one more thing going on right now that all big businesses need to acknowledge.

It used to be that big businesses like say, BofA or United Airlines, could afford to antagonize a few people. Because as more and more people come into adult age, they would replace the people that swore they would never use that business again. For every one person who quit using a business, there were 10 more that would step right up to the plate and replace him.

Due to our shrinking birthrate, that won't be happening again. Businesses will need to focus on keeping ALL of their customers happy or in about 20 years, they won't have any. They won't be able to just shrug off an unhappy customer because of the ones they expect to serve in the future. Growth of big business will start looking pretty dismal and that's when they'll realize they need every customer they get.

Old 02-13-2019, 02:59 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,556,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Yes, we expect them to see to our safety while they fly and they should at least see to our comfort the same way, if for no other reason than safety as well. You'd have to be dead not to notice so many more incidents happening on the airlines these days and it's not all related to increased media attention. One of these days people are going to assault and badly hurt a flight attendant or a pilot. Other passengers are already getting assaulted. And a great deal of that is due to irritation by being shoved too close to another passenger. People will fight back when their territories are invaded, just like any other animal.

They created this obligation by asking passengers to fly with them and pay for the privilege. It's a business. If they make people so upset that they don't want to fly anymore, that business goes down the tubes.

And there's one more thing going on right now that all big businesses need to acknowledge.

It used to be that big businesses like say, BofA or United Airlines, could afford to antagonize a few people. Because as more and more people come into adult age, they would replace the people that swore they would never use that business again. For every one person who quit using a business, there were 10 more that would step right up to the plate and replace him.

Due to our shrinking birthrate, that won't be happening again. Businesses will need to focus on keeping ALL of their customers happy or in about 20 years, they won't have any. They won't be able to just shrug off an unhappy customer because of the ones they expect to serve in the future. Growth of big business will start looking pretty dismal and that's when they'll realize they need every customer they get.

To suggest that all seats should be enlarged when the vast majority can comfortably fit in them just to make sure huge people too cheap to pay for 1st class are comfortable is just plain silly and a massive waste of money for the airlines, so it's not going to happen.
What needs to happen is the airlines needs to figure out a way for extra large people to pay extra for the extra room they require. I realize obese passengers want to push some agenda that the seats are too small for most, but it's not going to work because this isn't the case.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:11 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,124,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
My Scandinavian husband is 6'3" tall, weighs 175lbs (give or take 5 lbs). He is lean, athletic, and has a large frame. He has a similar problem as you: arm rests and leg room are an issue. I sit next to him when we fly together. He always books an aisle seat for more comfort. He does not spill into my seat. He does not encroach my space with his upper body or hips. He does commandeer the arm rest. I don't mind.

Your body type is probably not an issue for your seatmates. You are not the type of person being complained about. It is morbid obesity and the very uncomfortable encroachment that people are complaining about.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:03 PM

10,755 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:

Businesses aren't under any obligation to accommodate anyone, and airlines are no exception. While it may be a good business practice to do so, they didn't create any obligation to do so, and there is in fact no obligation to do so .

Old 02-13-2019, 04:51 PM

24,634 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
People who can't handle economy class, or whatever it's called, should fly business or first class.
You do know fat people are in business and first class too, correct? It's not the fit person's fault that Americans can no longer fit into regulation airline seats.

Airline seats of all classes were never designed to hold obese people. These people can't even use the damn latrine or walk down the aisle because they can't fit.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:14 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post

To suggest that all seats should be enlarged when the vast majority can comfortably fit in them just to make sure huge people too cheap to pay for 1st class are comfortable is just plain silly and a massive waste of money for the airlines, so it's not going to happen.
What needs to happen is the airlines needs to figure out a way for extra large people to pay extra for the extra room they require. I realize obese passengers want to push some agenda that the seats are too small for most, but it's not going to work because this isn't the case.
Well, they have you brainwashed, don't they?

What you don't understand is that the seats USED to be comfortable for the majority of people to fit in them, overweight people as well as tall people. The airlines then shrunk the seat widths and crammed them closer together so people have less space and less legroom than ever before so they could fit in more people to get larger profits. Then they started on a campaign to blame the fat and tall people for not being able to fit in their seats and you bought right into the kool-aid. Congratulations. I bet if you could afford it, you'd do just what they want you to do and buy a first class ticket, giving them the extra money they want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Businesses aren't under any obligation to accommodate anyone, and airlines are no exception. While it may be a good business practice to do so, they didn't create any obligation to do so, and there is in fact no obligation to do so .
Right, and that's why people are so happy flying the friendly skies. No obligation to keep people relaxed so they aren't a danger to those around them.

Seriously, if all the stores made people leap hurdles in the aisles while they shopped, would you put up with that? Or would you complain to the manager about it?

Last edited by rodentraiser; 02-14-2019 at 01:24 PM..

Old 02-14-2019, 01:31 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post

It turns out that you're right.

There are, in fact, "fat activists" and, interestingly, one of the "strategies" they promote is exactly what was employed here: that obese couples/travel partners occupy the aisle and window seats, leaving the middle seat empty.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:38 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,556,562 times
Quote:

What you don't understand is that the seats USED to be comfortable for the majority of people to fit in them, overweight people as well as tall people. The airlines then shrunk the seat widths and crammed them closer together so people have less space and less legroom than ever before so they could fit in more people to get larger profits.
Wrong on both comments. The majority of people today are not obese and fit comfortably in today's seats, and obese and really tall people decades ago were just as uncomfortable as they are today. The airlines shrunk the seats by a tiny margin so they could offer cheaper prices and remain competitive, not so they could make more profit. Flying is so unbelievably cheap as a form of long distance transportation as to be completely laughable in comparison to any other mode of travel when factoring in the time/distance and price/mile.
People like YOU want everyone to think the seats are too small for the average person, but it's not working because we all know they are just fine for most. So, either you are pushing this bs agenda because you are much larger than the avg adult or because it is YOU that is brainwashed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events