Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2019, 06:54 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,367,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
No one has the right to do stupid things that they've been warned not to do for their entire life, without consequences.
I brought that up in another thread on this topic in the Columbia, SC subforum and mentioned that I've been all over the world and back, do I choose to walk down some dark alley in a sketchy neighborhood in Bangkok at 2 or 3AM by myself, no, I do not. And if I did and got jumped/attacked/assaulted maybe even killed, well I'm an idiot!

Do I get into a vehicle, assuming it was the right one and not checking and double checking if it was the correct vehicle? There was an article in The Gamecock yesterday, the student newspaper, and it mentioned the bouncer knew the girl, if you happen to be impaired by alcohol, ask the bouncer to verify the Uber for you before you get in.

Obviously hindsight is always 20/20, but people should never let their guard down, there's plenty of evil in this world, sad but true. There will always be psychopaths like Nathaniel Rowland in this world, a little self-awareness goes a long way. It was a tragic and horrific event and could have possibly been prevented with some common sense. I've read other people's comments not blaming her, but saying she made a mistake and that mistake cost her dearly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 07:44 PM

22,675 posts, read 24,654,149 times
I am going to assume the accused has done similar in the past!

Old 04-02-2019, 08:32 PM

17,860 posts, read 9,291,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greglovesoldtrucks View Post
How terrible. The days of the big yellow taxi "Checker" cabs being the main sort of hired personal transport, sort of made this type of mistake and then heinous crime, less likely to happen.

I wonder if UBER will take any actions that will help people to know a Uber vehicle, is really a Uber ?
I haven't read the whole thread, and this may have already been mentioned, but the Uber app shows the driver's picture, car type, and license plate #.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:17 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,052,825 times

Old 04-03-2019, 06:05 AM

24,725 posts, read 9,524,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappleApple View Post
Samantha Josephson found dead after getting into wrong car. Such a sad story.

https://www.elle.com/culture/career-...n-uber-murder/
When someone asks if there’s a God, I just mention stories like this.

An innocent 21 year old college student simply ‘committed the crime’ of entering the wrong vehicle and is now dead. This is the world we live in folks. We live among monsters.

I’m sure the killer will just blame white people, racism, poverty, and oppression on his bad upbringing and poor choices in life as usual. Criminals and felons love to justify their behavior with exercuses

It a sad reminder that we all live in a world where a person will take your life just because you happened to cross paths with them. They want to take it out on you because they have nothing to lose and had a crappy life.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:18 AM

24,725 posts, read 9,524,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post

Her mistake was not verifying the Uber prior to entering the car.
If she was drunk then that wouldn’t have made a difference. Women get completely inebriated when they start drinking. I assume she booked an Uber then waited 5 minutes in a drunken state too intoxicated to verify the Uber.

And the predator simply thought “drunken young woman stumbles in my car, it must be my lucky day”. Then she probably realized she was not going home and that the child lock was on, but it was too late.

Her mistake was going out a lone. A 21 year old small female should not be going out drinking alone.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:25 AM

50,980 posts, read 36,672,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
If she was drunk then that wouldn’t have made a difference. Women get completely inebriated when they start drinking. I assume she booked an Uber then waited 5 minutes in a drunken state too intoxicated to verify the Uber.

And the predator simply thought “drunken young woman stumbles in my car, it must be my lucky day”. Then she probably realized she was not going home and that the child lock was on, but it was too late.

Her mistake was going out a lone. A 21 year old small female should not be going out drinking alone.
Except that there’s a video that shows her getting into the car, she does not look drunk and is not stumbling.

Old 04-03-2019, 07:42 AM

17,336 posts, read 15,507,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
If you have to question whether it is racist, it is probably racist.

Arcenal's last post on city-data, everybody. Let's all have a moment of silence.

Just kidding, hope you made it to your destination safe and sound!
Haha! Thanks! I needed that laugh today. I’m alive and well.

Old 04-03-2019, 07:58 AM

24,560 posts, read 17,308,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
There's a common denominator in the 3 stories you chose to highlight out of the hundreds out there? Imagine that.

I only commented on those 3 stories because they were posted here on CD and chances are other readers saw them.

It is a sad state we live in where there are so many perverts, rapists and murderers just waiting to spring into action if they should happen across a hapless victim.

In some cases it really is a clash of cultures that we are witnessing. There are many countries in the world where a woman would not dare to exit a bar at night alone and get into a strangers car. In some cultures that is a woman that is asking to be raped and it is the mans duty to teach her a lesson.

It is a sad state that we live in where we all can't get along and share the same moral values.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:28 AM

29,528 posts, read 22,735,060 times
People keep saying she was drunk, inferring that she was to the point of being unable to function clearly.

They are not releasing her toxicology report, and her friends (who got separated from her) have not said anything in regards to this. And as mentioned several pages ago, video of her getting into the car doesn't indicate someone grossly inebriated.

I think most people want to assume that every single person would verify the proper Uber driver, but the reality is that many don't. I haven't in the past and in reading many comments on various websites, others haven't either. It takes incidents like these to highlight that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events