Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2019, 02:47 PM

24,512 posts, read 17,260,237 times

Advertisements

How does this happen? I mean is there really that many opportunistic murderers out there. If someone got into my car by mistake I would say "who are you? you are in the wrong car". I wouldn't pretend and drive them to some secluded area to rape and then murder them. This stuff happens.
A few months back a young woman came out of a Boston bar a bit tipsy and was grabbed by some perv that lived nearby. The Police eventually found her and rescued her.

It really is crazy how many creeps are out there just waiting to pounce on someone to either steal, rape or murder them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 02:57 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,885,576 times
An unfortunate story. She ended up getting in the wrong car, and it was very unfortunate. I agree with the above poster, getting in the wrong car, while not smart, shouldn’t be a death sentence. I would like to think (maybe naively), that the vast majority of people wouldn’t end up killing an innocent victim who incorrectly got in their car. Of course there are crazies out there, but you would hope they are rare. It’s just unfortunate/bad luck that she got into a car with one of the crazies who took advantage of her mistake. RIP to the young lady.

Old 04-02-2019, 03:03 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,885,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I would say Uber, but it requires the user to take advantage of all the quality-control (safety-control) features. When you get an Uber, they are tracked via GPS. You also have the name, picture, license info, and a new safety button (where the driver or passenger can alert the police of a problem).

Old 04-02-2019, 03:04 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,422,694 times
They caught the animal that did it... Does it make me a racist to say they need to have a rope around his neck before its suppertime. Why waste a meal on him.

Old 04-02-2019, 03:05 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,961,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
How does this happen? I mean is there really that many opportunistic murderers out there. If someone got into my car by mistake I would say "who are you? you are in the wrong car". I wouldn't pretend and drive them to some secluded area to rape and then murder them. This stuff happens.
A few months back a young woman came out of a Boston bar a bit tipsy and was grabbed by some perv that lived nearby. The Police eventually found her and rescued her.

It really is crazy how many creeps are out there just waiting to pounce on someone to either steal, rape or murder them.
When I was one half of a young, recently married couple, we were driving in a populated area with lots of people and pubs when two big, scruffy drunks hopped into the back sear of our car and told us to drive them to a downtown bar. We did as we were told. When we were almost downtown, the drunks realized that we were not a taxi. They were apologetic, but we were afraid of them. Drunks are unpredictable, irrational and confused without realizing it. The goal is to avoid confrontation. We don't know what happened when this drunk woman hopped into a stranger's vehicle other than it ended with her murder. He didn't lure her, she went to him. She was drunk, irrational and confused. What happened next?

Old 04-02-2019, 03:05 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,146,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banksock View Post
Any kind of public transportation or public service job is scary a potential murderer can still go through all the legal loopholes and work for any form of public transportation. There's tons of stories of fake Taxi drivers or Fake Cops pulling people over or Nurses/Doctors killing patients on purpose and people pretending to work for the electric and gas company. Uber/Lyft is least of my worries every time i use an uber they call me to confirm the ride and my name and other stuff.

Females just need to be very careful when they are out in public they are such easy targets to predators. My friend made me mad one time when she rented an airbnb with her tinder date. I didn't know anything until she sent me a text of a live location and if anything happens. I told her shes stupid for getting a place with a stranger do people even do first dates anymore?
Hookup culture has replaced dating some. With a meetup being just a swipe or tap away. Same way Uber has displaced cabs.

It should be mentioned also that car service drivers are often victims of crimes as well. Even with Uber you don't actully know your passenger. Drivers have been assaulted and worse.

Old 04-02-2019, 03:06 PM

24,512 posts, read 17,260,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
An unfortunate story. She ended up getting in the wrong car, and it was very unfortunate. I agree with the above poster, getting in the wrong car, while not smart, shouldn’t be a death sentence. I would like to think (maybe naively), that the vast majority of people wouldn’t end up killing an innocent victim who incorrectly got in their car. Of course there are crazies out there, but you would hope they are rare. It’s just unfortunate/bad luck that she got into a car with one of the crazies who took advantage of her mistake. RIP to the young lady.

I just responded to another thread here where a Boston woman was digitally raped twice by an "immigrant' Uber driver. He picked her up, she got in the front seat and he jammed his hand down her pants, once while the car was moving and again when it stopped.

Who are these people?

There was another story here on CD about a 50 something year old guy from Egypt that tried to kidnap a 5 year old girl that was shopping with her mom at a mall but that one had a happy ending. He grabbed the girl by the hair to abduct her and the mom pulled her gun out, stopped him and held him for Police.

Imagine that a Good woman with a gun stops a bad guy. It happens.

There is a common denominator here but I won't say it.

Old 04-02-2019, 03:07 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,624,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
When I was one half of a young, recently married couple, we were driving in a populated area with lots of people and pubs when two big, scruffy drunks hopped into the back sear of our car and told us to drive them to a downtown bar. We did as we were told. When we were almost downtown, the drunks realized that we were not a taxi. They were apologetic, but we were afraid of them. Drunks are unpredictable, irrational and confused without realizing it. The goal is to avoid confrontation. We don't know what happened when this drunk woman hopped into a stranger's vehicle other than it ended with her murder. He didn't lure her, she went to him. She was drunk, irrational and confused. What happened next?
Really? I'm sure nothing she did would have in any way justified his choice to murder her.

Old 04-02-2019, 03:08 PM

50,860 posts, read 36,563,313 times
Quote:

I would imagine there are predators who lurk around bars late at night assuming people are waiting for Ubers, and just pull up and hope they get in.

Old 04-02-2019, 03:09 PM

50,860 posts, read 36,563,313 times
Quote:
I just responded to another thread here where a Boston woman was digitally raped twice by an "immigrant' Uber driver. He picked her up, she got in the front seat and he jammed his hand down her pants, once while the car was moving and again when it stopped.

Who are these people?

There was another story here on CD about a 50 something year old guy from Egypt that tried to kidnap a 5 year old girl that was shopping with her mom at a mall but that one had a happy ending. He grabbed the girl by the hair to abduct her and the mom pulled her gun out, stopped him and held him for Police.

Imagine that a Good woman with a gun stops a bad guy. It happens.

There is a common denominator here but I won't say it.

There's a common denominator in the 3 stories you chose to highlight out of the hundreds out there? Imagine that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events