Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2019, 12:55 PM

23,597 posts, read 24,130,589 times

Advertisements

Very tragic and sad story. Young lady appeared to have a bright future ahead of her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 01:16 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,397,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
Whatever happened to the days when you would tell your kids to never get in a car with strangers and nowadays it has become a business!!
Taxi drivers are strangers. Their movements and the details of their fares have historically not been tracked or verified by the company as well as the customer on their phone, either, unlike Uber and Lyft.

A taxi could easily pick up a fare, turn off their sign, drive to a remote location and do what they wanted. You are hysterical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
These companies are only in it for the money.
I agree, let's go back to the days when companies operated out of the goodness of their hearts.

Old 04-02-2019, 01:22 PM

7,490 posts, read 4,968,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Whether she was sober, drunk, confused, in a hurry- this wasn’t her fault. A woman should be able to accidentally get into a stranger’s car without being murdered. The problem is the man who killed her, so let’s keep the focus on him.
I don't think that anyone should expect that he/she can jump into a strangers vehicle and everything will be okay. A drunk person hopping into a stranger's vehicle is that much worse, more dangerous.

The problem is that this woman got too drunk to drink, that she and friends did not have a buddy system in place, and she made a really stupid decision to hop into a stranger's vehicle. As a drunk person who voluntarily hopped into a stranger's vehicle, it's very likely that something bad is going to happen. The best option is that she is confronted, humiliated, and tossed onto the street. Worst case scenario is what happened. She did a really stupid thing when a predator was looking for an opportunity. No one should be led to believe that she had no responsibility for what happened.

Old 04-02-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Taxi drivers are strangers. Their movements and the details of their fares have historically not been tracked or verified by the company as well as the customer on their phone, either, unlike Uber and Lyft.

A taxi could easily pick up a fare, turn off their sign, drive to a remote location and do what they wanted. You are hysterical.

I agree, let's go back to the days when companies operated out of the goodness of their hearts.
That is what happened to Morgan Harrington. She hopped in a cab with a serial murderer.

Regardless, this isn't about Uber or taxis, but rather about a drunk woman who got into a stranger's vehicle and very likely tried to tell him what to do - such as where to drive. Everything went wrong, and she was murdered.

Old 04-02-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Very tragic and sad story. Young lady appeared to have a bright future ahead of her.
She certainly had opportunity, but we also know that she could get very drunk in public and make very poor choices.

Old 04-02-2019, 01:37 PM

29,528 posts, read 22,729,268 times
Not surprisingly, no clear answer here

Which is safer _ Uber or a taxi? There’s no clear answer

Old 04-02-2019, 02:00 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,122,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Whether she was sober, drunk, confused, in a hurry- this wasn’t her fault. A woman should be able to accidentally get into a stranger’s car without being murdered. The problem is the man who killed her, so let’s keep the focus on him.
Why? That POS is the Judicial Systems problem now. The family’s problem is that it’s too late & nothing will bring her back. My problem, as the mother of one daughter in college now & two more starting in the fall, is that people want to tell my kids they should be able to do whatever they wanna do.

I’m sure all the other perps out there would find that to be ideal:

Yeah, go focus on Stupid over there & tell all the ladies they should just do whatever they wanna do ... Tell them they can go out drinking & leave their friends behind! Tell them they ought to be able to jump in my car! Thank you; that’s a great idea!”

Old 04-02-2019, 02:32 PM

6,826 posts, read 4,280,871 times
A lot of Uber drivers are former cabbies anyway as quite a lot of cab companies have gone bust recently. Ive noticed little difference between cabbies and Uber drivers in competence or trustworthiness. Its made zero difference other than being a lot cheaper.

Old 04-02-2019, 02:42 PM

1,024 posts, read 791,439 times
Any kind of public transportation or public service job is scary a potential murderer can still go through all the legal loopholes and work for any form of public transportation. There's tons of stories of fake Taxi drivers or Fake Cops pulling people over or Nurses/Doctors killing patients on purpose and people pretending to work for the electric and gas company. Uber/Lyft is least of my worries every time i use an uber they call me to confirm the ride and my name and other stuff.

Females just need to be very careful when they are out in public they are such easy targets to predators. My friend made me mad one time when she rented an airbnb with her tinder date. I didn't know anything until she sent me a text of a live location and if anything happens. I told her shes stupid for getting a place with a stranger do people even do first dates anymore?

Old 04-02-2019, 02:47 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,633,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Why? That POS is the Judicial Systems problem now. The family’s problem is that it’s too late & nothing will bring her back. My problem, as the mother of one daughter in college now & two more starting in the fall, is that people want to tell my kids they should be able to do whatever they wanna do.

I’m sure all the other perps out there would find that to be ideal:

Yeah, go focus on Stupid over there & tell all the ladies they should just do whatever they wanna do ... Tell them they can go out drinking & leave their friends behind! Tell them they ought to be able to jump in my car! Thank you; that’s a great idea!”
I'm not saying that, but lots of college kids do stupid things and end up in potentially dangerous situations. I never drank alcohol or went to bars at all when I was in college, but I understand that I'm not the norm. Normal college kids are going to go out and drink and have fun, and they are not always going to make the best decisions while doing so. I can't imagine that this girl's parents never warned her about being safe, but as you can see, it didn't matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
It matters how you conduct yourself in this world. Predators look for easy prey. There are certain safeguards and/or precautions we can take to lesson our chances of being victimized. It was not her fault that he murdered her, but she did exhibit very poor judgement that resulted in personal harm.

As a mother of a 21 year old woman, I take this situation as another opportunity to teach her the importance of taking precautions in this world and guarding yourself as best as you can against the evil that exists. I do not call that victim blaming, I call it teaching good old-fashioned common sense.
Well yeah, you should do that. But we are unfortunately not safe in this world no matter what precautions we take. Sometimes it's just a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events