Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 10:48 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Another racehorse, named Holding Aces, used up and thrown away. Like the article states, his life consisted of making money for the people involved until they were done with him and he was then dumped to a kill pen, headed for slaughter, to suffer even more pain and suffering before being rescued. Less than two weeks later he was euthanized.

https://horseracingwrongs.org/2020/1...-holding-aces/
The thing that makes me angriest is, these owners are very wealthy people. It would cost them relatively little to have the animals humanely euthanized instead of sold to slaughter but their greed knows no bounds. One horse rescued by the group in the doc I saw had won over a million dollars for its owner, but even that didn’t count when they decided they were done with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2020, 10:52 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
That is inhumane. I thought they retired the greyhounds and re-homed them? I have met several in public and seen non-profits to get them adopted. Is that not the norm?

It's time to end both horse racing and dog racing.
Rescue groups save the ones they can just like with the horses, but the majority are euthanized right at the track at the end of the day, about 5000 a year. And their lives are spent cramped in cages for most of the day (not at all like dog shows where the dogs are beloved pets). So any dog race you see they are literally racing for their lives. Happily in Florida voters approved phasing our dog racing and all 11 tracks are supposed to be closed by end of year.

http://arff.org/greyhound

Old 10-21-2020, 10:54 AM

19,400 posts, read 15,227,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The thing that makes me angriest is, these owners are very wealthy people. It would cost them relatively little to have the animals humanely euthanized instead of sold to slaughter but their greed knows no bounds. One horse rescued by the group in the doc I saw had won over a million dollars for its owner, but even that didn’t count when they decided they were done with him.
Yes, at least have the mercy to do that.

Old 10-21-2020, 12:27 PM

3,831 posts, read 1,782,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Rescue groups save the ones they can just like with the horses, but the majority are euthanized right at the track at the end of the day, about 5000 a year. And their lives are spent cramped in cages for most of the day (not at all like dog shows where the dogs are beloved pets). So any dog race you see they are literally racing for their lives. Happily in Florida voters approved phasing our dog racing and all 11 tracks are supposed to be closed by end of year.

Greyhound racing | Animal Rights Foundation of Florida
I don't support dog racing or horse racing. I only asked about dog rescue groups for greyhounds because I have seen non-profit groups assist in getting them adopted and re-homed. Never knew so many were euthanized at the track, not sure how this remains legal.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:39 AM

Here is a list of deaths in the state of Arizona in 2020. The notes show how often the horses are injured but still made to race. One example:

Quote:
Secreto Primero, Jan 8, Turf R – “[multiple] acute, complete fractures LF; tear in ligament; tendon completely torn; severe, chronic, active ulcerative gastritis”

“In 2019, this horse had two entries on the CA vet’s list: 4/20/2019 for injury due to falling down. On 9/12/2019 the horse was claimed but was found grade 3/5 lame on the left front leg [same leg that broke down]. The horse worked to get off the vet’s list at Turf on 11/3/2019 but was lame on the left front [same leg that broke down] post work. It raced and won on 12/22/2019.” Next race – dead.

https://horseracingwrongs.org/2021/0...s-entire-post/

Old 04-08-2021, 06:53 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,304,488 times
If they banned greyhound racing (in Florida) I think it's time to ban horse racing also. I'm fed up with people making money by exploiting animals and then killing them or selling them to slaughterhouses when they no longer make their owners anymore money.

Some people are just plain heartless.

Old 04-09-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
If they banned greyhound racing (in Florida) I think it's time to ban horse racing also. I'm fed up with people making money by exploiting animals and then killing them or selling them to slaughterhouses when they no longer make their owners anymore money.

Some people are just plain heartless.
And this shows just what they think of the animals (horses in this case):

(Warning: Language further down the page in the link provided may be offensive to some.)

Here are pictures/video of two separate incidences where a jockey or a trainer disrespect and mock a dead racehorse's body. The explanations/apologies are ridiculous, especially the one in the second, hyperlinked one (with the trainer).

https://horseracingwrongs.org/2021/0...-others-laugh/

Old 04-11-2021, 12:07 PM

18,116 posts, read 11,751,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
And this shows just what they think of the animals (horses in this case):

(Warning: Language further down the page in the link provided may be offensive to some.)

Here are pictures/video of two separate incidences where a jockey or a trainer disrespect and mock a dead racehorse's body. The explanations/apologies are ridiculous, especially the one in the second, hyperlinked one (with the trainer).

https://horseracingwrongs.org/2021/0...-others-laugh/
This video is so callous, heartless, cold, insensitive, etc, etc - there are not enough words to describe how UGLY these horse care given players really are.

When I was young, I seriously believed it was really all about the "Best Horse" naturally. He was born to run. Just as humans were born to be natural Olympics players. The animals were in their Olympics fields, nothing was enforcing - never heard of drugs, or it's life or death situation.

Seriously, humans are humans' worst own enemy. I still say: I love dogs more than humans.

Overall, what has been done to stop further activity? I've signed and shared many online petitions.

On Facebook, I've shared several posts among friends/family to discontinue sharing of the harsh, demeaning, GAWD-AWFUL videos as to stop sharing pleasurable pictures to those who actually enjoy animal suffering and pain. Same with hurting children.

I've been told "Don't feed into them" - here we are sickened by such and those are in their joyous, moments of most intense pleasures, and laughing. SICK!

This is my very own opinion and experience on this topic. I share your heart-felt compassion for the animals. And yes, I've always believed the animals retire, same with Racing dogs, Police dogs, Pony Riders, Carriage pulling Horses NYC, all working animals - all animals get to retire. Maybe I'm just native'?

Thanks for sharing this article. I thought all of this reached conclusion and has been resolved. Those who caused animals pain and death were/are punished by now.

Old 04-11-2021, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
This video is so callous, heartless, cold, insensitive, etc, etc - there are not enough words to describe how UGLY these horse care given players really are.

When I was young, I seriously believed it was really all about the "Best Horse" naturally. He was born to run. Just as humans were born to be natural Olympics players. The animals were in their Olympics fields, nothing was enforcing - never heard of drugs, or it's life or death situation.

Seriously, humans are humans' worst own enemy. I still say: I love dogs more than humans.

Overall, what has been done to stop further activity? I've signed and shared many online petitions.

On Facebook, I've shared several posts among friends/family to discontinue sharing of the harsh, demeaning, GAWD-AWFUL videos as to stop sharing pleasurable pictures to those who actually enjoy animal suffering and pain. Same with hurting children.

I've been told "Don't feed into them" - here we are sickened by such and those are in their joyous, moments of most intense pleasures, and laughing. SICK!

This is my very own opinion and experience on this topic. I share your heart-felt compassion for the animals. And yes, I've always believed the animals retire, same with Racing dogs, Police dogs, Pony Riders, Carriage pulling Horses NYC, all working animals - all animals get to retire. Maybe I'm just native'?

Thanks for sharing this article. I thought all of this reached conclusion and has been resolved. Those who caused animals pain and death were/are punished by now.
I'm always aware of that whenever I post anything, that there will be some out there who actually enjoy seeing it. Really unbelievable.

Anyway, I keep updating this thread because I'm hoping more and more people will see it and share the information so it will become common knowledge. It's amazing to me how some things remain legal.

Old 12-18-2021, 11:05 PM

From November, 552 horseracing deaths in this year in the US.

https://horseracingwrongs.org/2021/1...ng-is-immoral/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events