Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 06:16 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times

Advertisements

Thank you so much all for bringing this up to the forefront.
I had no idea.

I am an animal lover.
I know sometimes the world is tough,
but it doesn’t have to be.

I am just a regular guy that used to like to bet on the ponies at the county fair once a year.
No more.
I am done.
I will no longer support this.

Actually I have seen this post for a long time and have never read it.
I thought it was the same old ****.
It is not and this treatment of horses should not be tolerated.
Quite a shame actually.
I mean they really messed up a good thing.
Shame on them.

BTW, I no longer consider this sport because it is not.

Andy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2020, 10:58 AM

19,383 posts, read 15,220,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Thank you so much all for bringing this up to the forefront.
I had no idea.
I think most people don't. I know I didn't for the longest time. That's why I keep bumping up this thread.

Quote:
I am just a regular guy that used to like to bet on the ponies at the county fair once a year.
No more.
I am done.
I will no longer support this.
I'm glad to hear that. So jaminhealth started this thread and it's actually going to effect some change for the positive.

Quote:
Actually I have seen this post for a long time and have never read it.
I thought it was the same old ****.
It is not and this treatment of horses should not be tolerated.
Quite a shame actually.
I mean they really messed up a good thing.
Shame on them.

BTW, I no longer consider this sport because it is not.

Andy.
I've had the feeling that that was what most people were doing. And I know what you mean, I do that myself. There's another thread here in this particular forum about children being left in hot cars in the summer and dying. I think it was Suburban_Guy who kept updating it every time another child died. It was horrifying to see how often it was happening and really brought home the number of babies and kids this was happening to. So I thought that maybe if I did that here, it might do the same. I don't even report every one I hear about.

Also, as has been mentioned in this thread, the dog-racing industry is just as brutal.

Anyway, thank you for posting. It gives me and, I'm sure, others in this thread some hope.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:00 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
I stopped supporting horse racing, years ago, it is barbaric. (IMO)

Old 04-08-2020, 12:51 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,195,244 times
why are they even using young 2 and 3 yr olds--their bones are still growing

Old 04-10-2020, 09:50 PM

4,515 posts, read 2,520,191 times
It's not just the racing deaths. Many of these racehorses are sold to slaughter after racing. There have been attempts by some tracks to ban horses being run thru kill auctions, but many trainers have someone they know take the horse from the track barn, and sell directly to a kill buyer, or they give it to them and they run it thru the kill auctions. In some cases they have burned off the lip tattoo to prevent the horse's identity from being known (and therefore the owner/trainer's identity.The Louisiana tracks are especially bad about this.
And before you think, "its not bad, after all we eat cows", the slaughter process for horses is extremely cruel. Often shipped 15 hrs with no food or water, crammed like sardines into a gooseneck trailer. Then standing in feedlots with no shelter, in strange herds often being run off the hay/water. Wounds untreated. Then shipped over the border to Mexico or Canada. Pregnant mares have given birth in feedlots and even on the kill floor. They arent supposed to ship mares due to foal but they do. Then the horses waiting to be slaughtered can see, hear and smell the blood and fear of those already being slaughtered. In Canada, the captive bolt guns are not always accurate on long necked fight or flight response animals, and frequently miss. There is a video of a draft horse being hit 8 times with it before being killed. When complaints are filed by USDA vet, they were transferred to a different facilty.When horses are being shipped to slaughter, if they ho down on the trailer, the driver simply continues, while the horse is trampled to death.
These facts are all present on USDA docs, testimony in front of congress, shipping reports and under cover videos.
You can google Mary Nash website for links to all of the docs, video, testimony.

Old 04-12-2020, 02:52 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
Time for a bump.
And back to the top you go .

Old 05-05-2020, 04:39 PM

Chicago has decided to ban horse-drawn carriages, to take effect by the end of the year.

And Alabama has closed its last dog-racing track, in Birmingham.

and

Old 05-05-2020, 05:59 PM

I just now read that the Naples greyhound racing track in Naples, Florida, has shut down, too.

Old 05-08-2020, 08:40 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr5 View Post
Then there is the meat industry, a totally other story about man and the love of meats. I like my meats and not giving them ALL, eat less and less.

Then you better get rid of the family dog too. What do you think they put in a can of Alpo?
Eating meat is natural and healthy and good. And factory farmed animals should be killed compassionately. If we need to pay a bit more for better treatment, that would be ok.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:11 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Horse racing is barbaric.

It should be outlawed.

They breed, and breed, and breed horses just to get the right one. The ones that aren't right? Sent to slaughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events