Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 05:33 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times

Advertisements

I haven't seen what the prognosis for this child is - do they expect it's likely she'll live years like this? It seems to me if her death is expected to come pretty quickly, it would be better for all if she went naturally - then everyone wouldn't have the agony of "what if"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2019, 06:19 PM

1,159 posts, read 621,035 times
I was wondering Exactly what the person above me is; will she need machines forever? No surgery to help the heart issue? If no then just let her go.

Old 11-11-2019, 06:40 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
According to the article, 19 other medical facilities, including Johns Hopkins, don't want the baby transferred to them because they feel further medical intervention would be futile. It's sad, but assuming the facts of the article are correct, the child is going to die from her condition. Prolonging it with a legal battle won't change anything.

Old 11-11-2019, 08:44 PM

6,461 posts, read 3,985,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
The hospital believes the baby is suffering.

I do agree that we don’t have the information we need to know the right answer here. But I would hate to think that a suffering child might continue to suffer.
And I would hate to think that this child might live for years doing nothing except lying on a bed hooked up to a ventilator. I don't know what kind of a life that is. Is this issue of hers something that could improve, or are her parents literally choosing for that to be the life she lives for decades or however long she lives or at least until she's 18 and able (I assume?) to decide for herself?

Old 11-11-2019, 09:15 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,398,997 times
Without any more backstory, it seems that this poor child is suffering and perhaps her parents are mistaking their own best interests for hers. It's seems intensive counseling to help the parents let go would be preferable to giving them 10 days notice that they will remove life support though No one wins.

Old 11-12-2019, 04:34 AM

23,870 posts, read 33,581,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
This is a very sad case where nobody is a winner- not the family, not the hospital and its caregivers, and most of all, not the patient. She has a congenital condition which is fatal, and the hospital's position is that she is suffering and most of the actions where the infant appears to be responsive and aware are, in fact, a response to pain and other uncomfortable stimuli.

Cook Children's is a good facility, and they've already reached out to many other large children's hospitals seeking a transfer of this patient, but thus far, no institution is willing to do so. Also, if I'm not mistaken, this is not Cook's first time to invoke this law. I seem to recall a thread about another case a couple of years ago......but I could be wrong.

I certainly understand the family's desperation in this situation. I truly feel for all involved.
Here is the quote with some of the major hospitals mentioned. Dallas Children's is supposed to be a very good hospital.

Quote:
The family then has 10 days to transfer the patient to another facility. Cook Children's officials say they have reached out to 19 other medical facilities across the country - including Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, Johns Hopkins, and Dallas Children’s - and all have agreed with their assessment, and "feel there is nothing more they can provide to help improve" her life.
I'll be shocked if the mother will be able to find another hospital to take her with all of the big names agreeing. It sounds like she's not a candidate for transplants since they're saying "there is nothing more they can provide to help improve her life"

I think this is a single parent. I'm not seeing a father mentioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
If I knew that a child of mine was suffering great pain and would continue to suffer great pain every day for the rest of her life, and that death would be the only way to end that suffering, I would allow it.
Me too. One thing that stuck out to me is this is her only child. I think she's hoping for a miracle that isn't going to come.

Quote:
.... has undergone several "complex" surgeries, and also suffers from "chronic lung disease and severe chronic pulmonary hypertension."

... it has "become apparent her health will never improve," despite their best efforts. Her condition is "irreversible," and her physicians believe she is "suffering,"

Last edited by Roselvr; 11-12-2019 at 04:45 AM..

Old 11-12-2019, 05:52 AM

The article below has a lot of information. They're saying they keep her sedated with paralyzing meds to stop her from pulling her lines out like a 9 month old would. They also said that when she appears alert and moves that it's because they weaned the paralyzing meds. They feel she's in pain when not knocked out. While the hospital has contacted 19 places, they only included mom in one call when she requested to be included in all of the calls. They've reached out to Johns Hopkins, children's hospitals in Philadelphia and Los Angeles, but none will take her. With mom being 20, she's probably on welfare health insurance which could also play a role on who will accept her. Apparently she's also tried looking for a hospital to take her but so far hasn't. They're also considering caring for her at home.

The Ebstien Anomaly caused her heart to be so big that it pressed against her right lung, causing chronic lung disease. She's had 3 surgeries and has been on the ventilator since July.

The family is also claiming they have not fully explained all that is wrong with the girl and that their questions have not been answered

Mom got an attorney thru Texas Right to Life, and Protect Texas Fragile Kids are also helping her fight the hospital’s decision. Texas Right to Life said the hospital cited no physical health reason for their decision to remove her ventilator, they've only said their own ‘quality of life’ judgments,” in their statement.

I'm shocked that I'm not seeing a go fund me.

Judge grants motion to temporarily stop hospital from taking baby off life support
Quote:
Tinslee was born prematurely with a rare heart defect called an Ebstein anomaly. She also suffers from a chronic lung disease and severe chronic pulmonary hypertension, and has undergone several complex surgeries. She breathes with the assistance of a ventilator and is sedated but conscious, the family says, and responds to touch and stimulation as any baby would.

Lewis, who is 20 years old, said the hospital’s decision was sudden; she said doctors and nurses told her in October they didn’t believe her daughter would get better and evoked the 10-Day Rule at 11:30 p.m. on Oct. 31.

I found this list of hospitals in another article

Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
Johns Hopkins
University Hospital San Antonio
Texas Children’s
Dallas Children’s
Boston Children’s
Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles

this site allows you one read for the article. Normally I wouldn't include it but it's the only one saying what I quoted. I've read about 10 articles now

Judge Issues Order Preventing 9-Month-Old Tinslee Lewis from Being Taken Off Life Support

Quote:
In a statement for The Texan, Rep. Tinderholt echoed similar sentiments describing the treatment of Tinslee’s mother in particular as “despicable.

According to Rep. Tinderholt, Tinslee’s mother told him she was forbidden from taking pictures of Tinslee by the charge nurse at Cook Children’s who cited publicity and media attention garnered by the case as the basis for her decision.

“If this indeed was said, that is horrific and very possibly against the law to not be allowed to take a picture of your own child in their hospital room,” Tindherholt said.

Old 11-12-2019, 06:25 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,937,875 times
The fact that other reputable children's hospitals have declined to accept her only means that they don't feel they have any more to offer her - it does not really have anything to do with the current hospital's decision to discontinue life support. It doesn't surprise me that another children's hospital would not want a complicated, probable long-term, chronically ill baby to occupy one of their beds when she is already receiving appropriate care.

The concerning aspect of this story for me is that this is a baby with complex medical problems who is very much alive and due to her perceived quality of life, hospital administrators and physicians made a decision to end that life.

This feels like a very worrisome slippery slope with irreversible consequences.

Old 11-12-2019, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
The fact that other reputable children's hospitals have declined to accept her only means that they don't feel they have any more to offer her - it does not really have anything to do with the current hospital's decision to discontinue life support. It doesn't surprise me that another children's hospital would not want a complicated, probable long-term, chronically ill baby to occupy one of their beds when she is already receiving appropriate care.

The concerning aspect of this story for me is that this is a baby with complex medical problems who is very much alive and due to her perceived quality of life, hospital administrators and physicians made a decision to end that life.

This feels like a very worrisome slippery slope with irreversible consequences.
I also have to wonder if the mother (age 20) and/or baby's insurance had anything to do with them not wanting to accept her. Possible they do not accept her insurance.

I'll be shocked if the mother works a 9 to 5 with great insurance befits. Most people (my husband included) have some sort of Obamacare that sucks. Possible she's on welfare or some sort of state run insurance like my grandson is (NJ family care which is free)

Old 11-12-2019, 07:01 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,054,775 times
Too bad they can't put everyone who is against stopping life support in a hospital bed and hook them up to a ventilator for a week. Give them a whole week to imagine living their whole life like that with NO HOPE of ever getting out of that bed.

This little girl is NEVER going to get better and her mother is in denial.....and those who encourage that denial, giving her false hope, are despicable.

Just because someone can be kept alive doesn't mean it is ethical to keep that person alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events