Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2019, 07:27 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,636 posts, read 17,982,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Time is ticking. Nothing new when searching google for Tinslee Lewis. They had until January 2nd. I was hoping to see they were moving her
I agree. There is complete silence.

This article says Judge Marion will have her decision about whether Cook Hospital can remove her from life support "on or before Jan 2".

I can't even find a mention of her on social media after Dec. 21, when some political candidate was trying to make hay with her story.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...judge-n1101201
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2019, 08:46 AM

23,870 posts, read 33,581,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I agree. There is complete silence.

This article says Judge Marion will have her decision about whether Cook Hospital can remove her from life support "on or before Jan 2".

I can't even find a mention of her on social media after Dec. 21, when some political candidate was trying to make hay with her story.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...judge-n1101201
I was expecting to see something since it's only a few days away

Old 12-30-2019, 02:13 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,665,297 times
If all that’s keeping you alive is a machine, what kind of quality of life can you possibly have for the long term? Lots of unanswered questions in this case.

Old 12-30-2019, 06:26 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
If all that’s keeping you alive is a machine, what kind of quality of life can you possibly have for the long term? Lots of unanswered questions in this case.
I've never seen a case where a child is removed from life support, who is fully cognitive (it appears to be the case here) because the hospital staff decided their quality of life is insufficient.

This isn't a case of a person who is in a persistent vegetative state. It seems she would have a normal state of awareness and cognition if she wasn't continuously drugged.

There are no simple answers here. I can see both sides. This just seems like a very slippery slope.

Old 12-30-2019, 06:45 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,665,297 times
Quote:
I've never seen a case where a child is removed from life support, who is fully cognitive (it appears to be the case here) because the hospital staff decided their quality of life is insufficient.

This isn't a case of a person who is in a persistent vegetative state. It seems she would have a normal state of awareness and cognition if she wasn't continuously drugged.

There are no simple answers here. I can see both sides. This just seems like a very slippery slope.
We don't really know how she would be without being continuously drugged. The whole long term life support thing is a slippery slope and I personally wouldn't want that for my child. Way to many medical questions that we will never know the answers to about this case.

Old 12-30-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
We don't really know how she would be without being continuously drugged. The whole long term life support thing is a slippery slope and I personally wouldn't want that for my child. Way to many medical questions that we will never know the answers to about this case.
It's knowable how she would be if she wasn't continuously drugged; all they have to do is stop continuously drugging her to find out. 48 hours without sedation, and they'd know what her true cognitive state is.

I'm not blaming anyone. This is very, very hard. It just seems heartless to remove the support of this baby while her family is begging that she still be kept alive, considering she is absolutely alive and cognitive.

How about we start with people who DON'T want to be kept alive, and go from there?

Old 12-31-2019, 03:13 AM

23,870 posts, read 33,581,353 times
Quote:
It's knowable how she would be if she wasn't continuously drugged; all they have to do is stop continuously drugging her to find out. 48 hours without sedation, and they'd know what her true cognitive state is.

I'm not blaming anyone. This is very, very hard. It just seems heartless to remove the support of this baby while her family is begging that she still be kept alive, considering she is absolutely alive and cognitive.

How about we start with people who DON'T want to be kept alive, and go from there?
Agree. To me, it's heartless. She's probably like any baby her age which is why they keep her drugged.

Old 12-31-2019, 04:00 AM

736 posts, read 456,478 times
So how much has raised here to care for this child? I assume everyone upthread who has wrung their hands and said this child must be kept alive have established and contributed to a fund to pay the bills that will probably be close to $1M.

Old 12-31-2019, 04:15 AM

4,955 posts, read 3,319,465 times
There is ITQOL quality of life in babies/infants. Pubmed also has articles on this. The pdf questionnaire is here https://www.healthactchq.com/survey/itqol

Old 12-31-2019, 10:15 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PesachSeder View Post
So how much has raised here to care for this child? I assume everyone upthread who has wrung their hands and said this child must be kept alive have established and contributed to a fund to pay the bills that will probably be close to $1M.
The cost is the elephant in the room that no one wants to acknowledge. How much do we spend on one child, when it means those funds are not available to help others?

What the doctors have told this family is that all that can be done has been done. She is not going to get better. First, just because she can be kept alive, sedated, with various machines, should she be? Second, who should bear the cost?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events