Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2019, 02:06 PM
KCZ

4,677 posts, read 3,673,320 times

Advertisements

Money aside, keeping an infant like this alive is draining healthcare resources that could be better used on a baby who is likely to survive and have a meaningful life. Resources like ICU's and the highly knowledgeable people that staff them are not limitless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2019, 06:07 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Too bad they can't put everyone who is against stopping life support in a hospital bed and hook them up to a ventilator for a week. Give them a whole week to imagine living their whole life like that with NO HOPE of ever getting out of that bed.

This little girl is NEVER going to get better and her mother is in denial.....and those who encourage that denial, giving her false hope, are despicable.

Just because someone can be kept alive doesn't mean it is ethical to keep that person alive.
My cousin was advised to have an abortion when her fetus was diagnosed with microcephaly. She spoke to her Priest and on his advise declined the abortion. When the baby was born the doctor suggested that they not put him on life support but just keep him comfortable, my cousin refused. They kept him on life support for several months then released him on oxygen with a feeding tube. He lived for four years, she spent that time caring for him day and night. He was blind and deaf but screamed in agony. He had grand mal seizures at least once a day. When he passed away my cousin became very depressed, she blamed herself for his suffering and regretted not having the abortion and then not following the doctors advice after he was born and just keeping him comfortable until he passed. That was 35 years ago and she says she still wakes up at night thinking she hears the baby screaming.

Old 11-17-2019, 06:11 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Money aside, keeping an infant like this alive is draining healthcare resources that could be better used on a baby who is likely to survive and have a meaningful life. Resources like ICU's and the highly knowledgeable people that staff them are not limitless.
I'm very uncomfortable with your statement.

This baby IS surviving. And, I'm not sure I want to decide who has a "meaningful life", besides the person who is living it.

Old 11-17-2019, 08:35 PM

6,473 posts, read 6,683,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
My cousin was advised to have an abortion when her fetus was diagnosed with microcephaly. She spoke to her Priest and on his advise declined the abortion. When the baby was born the doctor suggested that they not put him on life support but just keep him comfortable, my cousin refused. They kept him on life support for several months then released him on oxygen with a feeding tube. He lived for four years, she spent that time caring for him day and night. He was blind and deaf but screamed in agony. He had grand mal seizures at least once a day. When he passed away my cousin became very depressed, she blamed herself for his suffering and regretted not having the abortion and then not following the doctors advice after he was born and just keeping him comfortable until he passed. That was 35 years ago and she says she still wakes up at night thinking she hears the baby screaming.
That is a heartbreaking story. It affirms my belief that just because the technology exists to keep someone alive, it may not be morally better to do so. Shame on that priest whose advice caused that little one to suffer for four years. And shame on anyone else who would say we have no right to determine how much "quality of life" is enough. I refuse to believe anyone would prefer a lifetime of agony, along with being blind and deaf, over never being born.

Old 11-19-2019, 12:58 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,289,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
It's the hospital's child? Wow; what luck! Bet they want more just like her! (gag)
wow!...that's nasty...mean thing to say..why would you say "bet they want more just like her"?
have you no compassion?..do you think it's lucky to care for a child who they watch every day suffering..that nurses and doctors enjoy that??...that's what you imply..

Old 11-20-2019, 12:30 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

The temporary restraining order against Cook Hospital will expire Dec. 10, so they have until that time to find a facility that will take her.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tinslee...upport-halted/

Old 11-21-2019, 05:19 AM

23,870 posts, read 33,581,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The temporary restraining order against Cook Hospital will expire Dec. 10, so they have until that time to find a facility that will take her.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tinslee...upport-halted/
Happy to hear she has more time. I wonder why they haven't found another hospital. I have a feeling they will have to bring her home

Old 11-21-2019, 04:41 PM
KCZ

4,677 posts, read 3,673,320 times
They haven't found another hospital because the other hospitals that have been approached have said there is nothing additional that they can do for this child. How are the parents going to take the child home? Are they going to replicate an ICU in their home and become qualified to manage a ventilator?

Old 11-23-2019, 04:05 PM

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton has joined the fight to continue care for Tinslee Lewis, although I'm not sure he has any real say in the matter.

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/11...n-paxton-says/

Old 11-23-2019, 06:07 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,665,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton has joined the fight to continue care for Tinslee Lewis, although I'm not sure he has any real say in the matter.

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/11...n-paxton-says/
Political stunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events