Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2019, 02:42 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Truthfully, though, it's likely none of us in this thread could have shouldered those hospital bills this baby has accrued. I don't even have a ball park figure for what 9 months of hospitalization in intensive care would cost.
I can't imagine either

Quote:
The deadline is looming - Dec. 10 - to find another hospital. I haven't seen any updates on progress in that direction.
I looked the other day but didn't see aything
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2019, 06:29 AM

4,005 posts, read 2,081,502 times
With Cook Children's asking that the judge, Alex Kim, recluse himself from the case - citing that because he spoke at a Right-To-Life group function, that he is biased against the hospital's position, and...

Texas AG Ken Paxton filing 'friend-of-the-court' papers on Tinslee's behalf - stating that Texas Advance Directives Act (which is the legal basis that allows the hospital to remove her ventilator) is unconstitutional because it interferes with Tinslee's right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness...

this could evolve into several legal proceedings, with the possibility of at least one of the issues being heard on a Federal level in the US Supreme Court.

Everyone will know more on or after Dec 10th. I have a feeling that Tinslee will remain on life support well into next year.

Old 12-04-2019, 06:32 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
With Cook Children's asking that the judge, Alex Kim, recluse himself from the case - citing that because he spoke at a Right-To-Life group function, that he is biased against the hospital's position, and...

Texas AG Ken Paxton filing 'friend-of-the-court' papers on Tinslee's behalf - stating that Texas Advance Directives Act (which is the legal basis that allows the hospital to remove her ventilator) is unconstitutional because it interferes with Tinslee's right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness...

this could evolve into several legal proceedings, with the possibility of at least one of the issues being heard on a Federal level in the US Supreme Court.

Everyone will know more on or after Dec 10th. I have a feeling that Tinslee will remain on life support well into next year.
I do too. And I wonder what she typically looks/acts like - we really only have a few still photos to judge. Is she fairly alert and active, and interactive? Does she have moments of joy? Does she connect with her parents? Is her prognosis a very short life anyway, so "pulling the plug" will foreshorten her life only a little?

Old 12-04-2019, 06:40 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
I do too. And I wonder what she typically looks/acts like - we really only have a few still photos to judge. Is she fairly alert and active, and interactive? Does she have moments of joy? Does she connect with her parents? Is her prognosis a very short life anyway, so "pulling the plug" will foreshorten her life only a little?
According to what I read, yes, she is alert and reacts when not sedated. The main reason they have her sedated to begin with is because she is active enough that they're afraid she's going to pull her tubes out. I'm sure this is what makes it hard for mom to go along with pulling the plug.

Old 12-04-2019, 06:42 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times
Quote:
I was wondering the same thing. I found this 33 second video yesterday. It doesn't answer much. She's moving an arm. Her eyes are closed. Apparently, she keeps pulling at her tubes. I don't know if she is sedated.

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/p...237834714.html

Old 12-04-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
I can really take both sides here -

She looks alert and aware to me, in one photo where she is looking at the camera off to her side, and holding onto her stuffed sheep. Without all the tubes, wires and needles, she looks like a normal little chubby 9 month old.

She is active when she is not medicated, pulling at all that stuff herself, which is why she is kept medicated.

Then my questions start - can she ever heal enough to support herself? What is the quality of life of a child that needs to be kept sedated so that the ventilator will stay in place? How old will she be when she understands that she cant remove them herself? And, how long can you drug a developing brain before you lose the normal capacity to learn and reason?

There really is no clear answer in my honest opinion.

Old 12-04-2019, 06:48 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I was wondering the same thing. I found this 33 second video yesterday. It doesn't answer much. She's moving an arm. Her eyes are closed. Apparently, she keeps pulling at her tubes. I don't know if she is sedated.

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/p...237834714.html
Ooh, that was hard to watch.

It appears the family shot that video to make their case? Moving the little lamb toy close to her to create a compelling cute video? If that's the best she ever looks, that's gravely concerning.

She looks like she's in acute pain, and her bandaged left arm appears to be trembling, while her right arm flails in a distracted manner. That video portrays her worse, IMHO, than the public likely thought she looked based on her earlier still photo of her bright-eyed and engaged.

Old 12-04-2019, 09:05 AM

I see her grasping a thumb when the stuffed animal is moved, then put back. She seems to be aware of what's going on even though she cant open her eyes.

Ive experienced the same thing during surgeries. Im aware of what people are doing and saying but incapable of communicating that fact until after the anesthesia wears off. I've actually had staff exclaim on the retelling, "You heard that!" and laugh.

To me, her arm movements make her seem like she is longing to be picked up and cuddled. With all the attachments, it seems normal that she would be.

All normal baby stuff. Maybe God/fate will take mercy on her and her family - one way or the other. The time the court cases buy her may be all she needs.

If the hospital wins, I hope she is allowed to be cuddled by her mom during the process. Seems to me she deserves that.

Old 12-05-2019, 04:13 PM

So I found this slightly different video. I would guess she never appears more alert/interactive than this? Never a smile or an intentional interaction? I see what the medical staff is seeing - she looks like life is very painful for her.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=41...inslee%20Lewis

Old 12-05-2019, 07:46 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
I can really take both sides here -

She looks alert and aware to me, in one photo where she is looking at the camera off to her side, and holding onto her stuffed sheep. Without all the tubes, wires and needles, she looks like a normal little chubby 9 month old.

She is active when she is not medicated, pulling at all that stuff herself, which is why she is kept medicated.

Then my questions start - can she ever heal enough to support herself? What is the quality of life of a child that needs to be kept sedated so that the ventilator will stay in place? How old will she be when she understands that she cant remove them herself? And, how long can you drug a developing brain before you lose the normal capacity to learn and reason?

There really is no clear answer in my honest opinion.
Would she WANT to live on a ventilator? Can she ever come off it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events