Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2020, 08:56 PM

24,625 posts, read 9,454,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
It's pretty simple. Once we have testing for virus and testing for antibodies, can we move forward. Cautiously, but not on full steam until a successful vaccine is created.
Not that simple, we still need more personal protective equipment for healthcare workers, more medical workers, hospitals, and beds.

You can have a billion tests, it won’t make a difference if you don’t have the equipment and personnel to treat these people.

Every time a high risk person gets COVID, that’s another body count because there’s not enough hospital beds, ventilators, nurses, or doctors to treat them. In NY, if a person can’t be revived by EMT, EMT is not allowed to take them to the emergency room. They’re literally taking them straight to a freezer truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2020, 09:06 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
“America's health care system is neither healthy, caring, nor a system.”
-Walter Cronkite

People who get treated for COVID-19 are getting hit with a $35K medical bill!
I've worked at a hospital in the past and I know that every patient whether alive or dead is another "cha-ching" to the system. Hospital workers all know that hospitals always chooses "profits over patients."

Why would CDC lied about face masks? It's not just about shortage. Since they shipped millions to China in February so why did we have a shortage again?? Why did the Admiral who sounded the alarm about the virus onboard a navy ship get fired? Because they want people silenced. They wanted people all to get this virus without a major impact.

I believe Trump worked with Anthony Fauci and believed the fastest cure to COVID-19 isn't prevention of infection but herd immunity. If you look at the language by Trump and the thought process. He envisioned open for business by Easter because he had thought that they planned all along that most Americans would be infected and get over it like a common cold or flu. But they underestimated the death rate and ventilator shortages. They had thought that only 0.2% would need ventilators and not like Italy were 10% needed it.

They changed their tune because this thing has gotten out of hands and now they are saying wear face masks as the original plan of getting herd immunity is scrapped.

We've been lied to again with conflicting and poorly thought out planning.

Old 04-03-2020, 10:55 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I've worked at a hospital in the past and I know that every patient whether alive or dead is another "cha-ching" to the system. Hospital workers all know that hospitals always chooses "profits over patients."

Why would CDC lied about face masks? It's not just about shortage. Since they shipped millions to China in February so why did we have a shortage again?? Why did the Admiral who sounded the alarm about the virus onboard a navy ship get fired? Because they want people silenced. They wanted people all to get this virus without a major impact.

I believe Trump worked with Anthony Fauci and believed the fastest cure to COVID-19 isn't prevention of infection but herd immunity. If you look at the language by Trump and the thought process. He envisioned open for business by Easter because he had thought that they planned all along that most Americans would be infected and get over it like a common cold or flu. But they underestimated the death rate and ventilator shortages. They had thought that only 0.2% would need ventilators and not like Italy were 10% needed it.

They changed their tune because this thing has gotten out of hands and now they are saying wear face masks as the original plan of getting herd immunity is scrapped.

We've been lied to again with conflicting and poorly thought out planning.
I believe its FEMA that makes these kinds of decisions, during a national crisis, not the president.

You can bet, FEMA has a had in the content of ALL of trumps daily press conferences too.

Old 04-04-2020, 03:39 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I believe its FEMA that makes these kinds of decisions, during a national crisis, not the president.

You can bet, FEMA has a had in the content of ALL of trumps daily press conferences too.
This is nonsense. FEMA reports to Donald Trump. If you don’t toe the Trump line, you get fired. Michael Atkinson was fired yesterday for telling the truth. It’s how this administration operates. The response has been 100% politically driven and we’re paying a very expensive price for it now.

Old 04-04-2020, 10:00 AM

3,319 posts, read 1,817,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
I don't get why most countries have a country-specific plan. This virus is global; that's why it's called a PANdemic. It's in almost every country now. The world needs a coordinated, unified, consistent response, not piecemeal by country. All it takes is ONE person traveling from country X (with slightly looser protocols) to country Y (with strict protocols) to start another local epidemic in country Y.

The world needs to place the WHO in charge of all this and let their national governments focus on non-health issues. WHO should be entrusted with the authority to tell countries what to do.

The WHO blew it.
Eff that.

Old 04-04-2020, 12:17 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
I think the OP's thread is flawed. We are ASSUMING all will be good by June or July, but the problem is, we are not sure how long this pandemic will continue. We are basing off China, but the U.S has far surpassed China's numbers.

We also don't know yet if we will be immune to the virus after getting it or if it will come back every year. There are still a lot of unanswered questions that experts still don't know the answers to. All we can do is wait.

I personally think though that unless we have a vaccine that will cure it, our way of life will be different moving forward!

Last edited by CGab; 04-04-2020 at 12:29 PM..

Old 04-04-2020, 12:23 PM

2,043 posts, read 1,659,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/01/o....co/C8sSKnEF8w

This is interesting, but low-dose exposure will never be officially approved.

Just like the author, I don't advocate getting purposefully infected now, since complications that might arise would hit you at the time of peak stress on the medical system.

That said, I am going to do.some more reading and consider switching from full isolation measures (no eating food I havent cooked myself, mask while out in public) to less-effective isolation that would be more likely to expose me to a low dose of the virus.

Right or wrong, this is how I'm approaching things. I'm still going out in the world but on a more limited basis and taking precautions to limit my exposure. I believe that at some point I will get exposed but my hope (and that's all we got right now) is that it will be a low dose exposure. Again, my hope is that with a low dose exposure I will not get that sick and once past that, will have immunity for at least some period of time.

I have no faith in the federal government handling this competently. We can't stay in lock-down for a year, our whole system of supplying food, medicine, fuel, electricity, water, etc. has evolved into a rather tenuous string and won't last a year of this. Like it or not, at some point we all have to go back to work and take our chances. Nobody wants to roll the dice but I don't think we will have a say in it before this is all over.

Old 04-04-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I think the OP's thread is flawed. We are ASSUMING all will be good my June or July, but the problem is, we are not sure how long this pandemic will continue. We are basing off China, but the U.S has far surpassed China's numbers.

We also don't know yet if we will be immune to the virus after getting it or if it will come back every year. There are still a lot of unanswered questions that experts still don't know the answers to. All we can do is wait.

I personally think though that unless we have a vaccine that will cure it, our way of life will be different moving forward!
There's no normalcy until:

(a) we all get the virus and recovers
(b) we all get the vaccine and move on

These are the only choices.

If we do what China does, the end result will be another outbreak eventually when Falls comes around. People who had recovered are sick again in the Fall/Winter and spread the virus again.

Old 04-04-2020, 12:30 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
There's no normalcy until:

(a) we all get the virus and recovers
(b) we all get the vaccine and move on

These are the only choices.

If we do what China does, the end result will be another outbreak eventually when Falls comes around. People who had recovered are sick again in the Fall/Winter and spread the virus again.
If that's true, then what's the point of getting a vaccine? If this is true, it means this potentially deadly bug is going to rattle around the population until most people are wiped out, vaccine or no vaccine.

Old 04-04-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If that's true, then what's the point of getting a vaccine? If this is true, it means this potentially deadly bug is going to rattle around the population until most people are wiped out, vaccine or no vaccine.
It's really not about vaccine. It's all about your immune system. The stronger folks will survive and the ones with the weaker immune system won't make it. I'll be blunt and tell you that many people will still die with the vaccine. This is not a simple virus to take down. It will take many decades for humans to evolve and then the virus to be less serious coughing virus. The spanish flu is already abundant in 70% of societies and people still die from it but most people just need a few days to get rid of it.

That is why, we should work towards having people who recover from it spread the virus in more limited dosage. That is similar to a vaccine works but we don't have one right now. The best way to survive right now is to find someone who recovered over 3 weeks ago and spend some time like a chicken pox party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events