Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2022, 12:15 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Wow, tell us again about how Elon Musk is a visionary business leader?
The beatings will continue until the morale improves school of business management.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2022, 12:26 PM

3,184 posts, read 1,659,838 times
The bottomline is that Twitter has been hemorrhaging money for awhile, it's very common for startups to bleed money for awhile until they get their houses straighten up. Jack Dorsay who founded Twitter also runs Square and because of regulations he must keep that company running properly otherwise they will lose their license to operate. I think Square is definitely more innovative and well runned than Twitter.

Mass Layoffs after an acquisition is common, so hardly news to me.

Old 11-11-2022, 12:49 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Musk wanted out after he found out Twitter was 50% bots, which would cut advertising revenue in half when he revealed that. They were not transparent with him regarding how prolific bots were on Twitter. His original offer was assuming 5% or 10% bots.
Bots are far more prevalent on all social media than we realize and have been for many year. I've seen some in chat rooms back when I was younger. Hell, Zack Snyder was accused of the use of bots for releasing Justice League: The Synder Cut after a lack-luster release of the theatrical Justice League movie. As a side note, my personal belief is that the bad in that movie existed in the trailers released before Joss Whedon changed it. The Ezra Miller Wally West style Barry Allen Flash was already in the first trailer before the Whedon re-shoots happened...

Anywho, I think Elon Musk will fully regret buying Twitter. I do not know if the employees were or weren't properly notified of their termination and if their severance pay is lawful. I have enough going on with my life, work and the holidays to pay attention to that. I must however say that with the changes under Musk-Twitter, it drove me off of it and I was somewhat getting active on Twitter again. I do think the parody rules are a bit too much. I don't think the posters were actively promoting to be Musk, unlike the various fan, stans and scams who copy a celebrity or brand and actively promote being the person. I see a lot of that promote a "You win" reply on other platforms.

Where I think Musk is going to have a problem with Twitter is the free speech. Free speech is not included under Terms of Service. Nor is moderation of "Terms of Service" 100% equal. A lot of people say conservatives are targeted for bans on social media, yet I see horrible things that should be that aren't moded in a timely fashion. Others (like me) post moderately horrible things and we end up in "jail" for our comments.

A lot of the companies are not OK with the loosening of comments on social media. YouTube has banned more and more videos and comments as Google has turned them into an ad revenue source. Facebook has seen similar things. Musk is seeing an already low ad rate for Twitter get slimmer as companies jump due to the fears of what will come with Musk-Twitter.

Old 11-11-2022, 01:08 PM

50,727 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Please provide the quote from Musk where he said to expect 80 hours per week. I could find no such quote in the referenced article or any others. Not somebody's interpretation or reading a message between the lines or secondhand allegation from some unnamed source, a quote.
I don't know that anyone has the actual e-mail. How would they? It's all over business news, though.

Actually I spoke too soon. CNBC says they have the e-mail: https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/10/read...employees.html

Old 11-11-2022, 01:27 PM

7,677 posts, read 5,524,010 times
Twitter reportedly suspended Blue subscription sign-ups 'to help address impersonation issues':

https://www.engadget.com/twitter-blu...134310199.html

That’s not surprising. The parody posts were trying to communicate to Musk that this would likely happen. Musk didn’t listen.

Old 11-11-2022, 01:37 PM

5,951 posts, read 2,872,889 times
A vast majority of tweet employees have only worked in similar industry,for many its the only job they have had.I guess it's time to grow up, put on the big boy,girl pants stop crying you had a good run for a number of years and look for other work .

Old 11-11-2022, 01:41 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't know that anyone has the actual e-mail. How would they? It's all over business news, though.

Actually I spoke too soon. CNBC says they have the e-mail: https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/10/read...employees.html
Did you read that email in your link? It says absolutely nothing about 80 hours per week. It doesn't even say anything about working over 40 hours per week. So everyone claiming Musk told employees they would have to work 80 hours per week LIED and the email in your link proves it. He said no such thing.

You said "So, he told all his employees yesterday (in an e-mail sent at 2:39am) that remote work is ending "effective immediately" and all employees are expected in the office 40 hours a week, but also that they should expect 80 hour work weeks. " Nothing to that effect at all was in the email.

Old 11-11-2022, 01:52 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
The bottomline is that Twitter has been hemorrhaging money for awhile, it's very common for startups to bleed money for awhile until they get their houses straighten up. Jack Dorsay who founded Twitter also runs Square and because of regulations he must keep that company running properly otherwise they will lose their license to operate. I think Square is definitely more innovative and well runned than Twitter.

Mass Layoffs after an acquisition is common, so hardly news to me.
Twitter has for a while. Why else do you think the board wanted to get out when Elon Musk opened his mouth and made an offer? He over-payed and then when he got the documents, realized it wasn't a good deal and only later decided to go through with it after the board tried suing him to force the deal.

Old 11-11-2022, 02:28 PM

50,727 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Did you read that email in your link? It says absolutely nothing about 80 hours per week. It doesn't even say anything about working over 40 hours per week. So everyone claiming Musk told employees they would have to work 80 hours per week LIED and the email in your link proves it. He said no such thing.

You said "So, he told all his employees yesterday (in an e-mail sent at 2:39am) that remote work is ending "effective immediately" and all employees are expected in the office 40 hours a week, but also that they should expect 80 hour work weeks. " Nothing to that effect at all was in the email.
My first post with the Business Insider link has it.

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon...report-2022-11

Old 11-11-2022, 03:11 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
My first post with the Business Insider link has it.

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon...report-2022-11
No, it does NOT. Either provide the actual quote - that's Elon's own words within quotation marks, or quit the lying (or parroting the lies). You and others have claimed it was said in the email but the email was printed and it says no such thing.

In fact, the Verge transcript that Bloomberg links to says the opposite. In Musk's own words:

"we do need to be default in the office and for a reasonable amount of time. It’s not like some crazy number of hours. I’ll do crazy hours in office, but I’m not asking everyone else to do crazy hours in the office. "
https://www.theverge.com/2022/11/10/...eeting-q-and-a
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events