Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2022, 07:27 AM

50,720 posts, read 36,424,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
He is. At this point you have to wonder why he just didn't start his own social media platform from scratch, rather than spending billions to implode a functional system.
Well, he did try to back out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2022, 08:30 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Of course they have a choice, but you wouldn't be happy about it and neither would I. The assumption seeming to be from some posters that they are entitled or something for complaining about all these rapid changes. I don't think that's the case at all. I think any of us would be unhappy about it and complaining about it.
Yeah, if the new boss came in and demanded 80 hour workweeks I'd be out the door before he finished the sentence. The fake Elli thing was funny as he followed rules and labeled the account NOT Elli Lilly and PARODY per Musk's mandates on satire. But money so still got banned after the company verified his $8 account

Eventually stuff will settle down. Twitter doesn't need a bunch of staff to operate, mostly the staff is there to babysit the children. The children, as with anywhere, will catch on to the new moderation regimen and either get themselves banned and create alt accounts in the perpetual game of whack a mole or adjust same as they have always done everywhere. New rules at Twitter is don't scare the advertisers.

Old 11-15-2022, 10:27 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
While it sucks that anyone loses their livelihoods, what do 7500 people at Twitter actually do? Be generous and include 1,000 for customer service/moderator types. What are the other 6,500 doing?

Old 11-15-2022, 10:58 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I'm not really clear why you - or anyone else - has any business much less is qualified on declaring what Musk is doing. Why are you attacking so vociferously? Liberals loved the guy before he attacked a few key liberals and sided with Republicans on a few issues...
What, we're not entitled to an opinion?

Forbes magazine recently had an article exploring the idea of whether Musk is trying to destroy Twitter.

I'm a liberal and have neve been either a fan or hater of Musk. You're too hung up on the political angle, IMO.

Old 11-15-2022, 11:04 AM

4,598 posts, read 2,990,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
While it sucks that anyone loses their livelihoods, what do 7500 people at Twitter actually do?
Be generous and include 1,000 for customer service/moderator types. What are the other 6,500 doing?
Good question.

And I'd ask: did Twitter ever do anything useful for society?

Last edited by NW4me; 11-15-2022 at 11:26 AM..

Old 11-15-2022, 11:34 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Good question.

It's probably the best source of news today. It allows the Citizen Journalist an outlet to get the story out. Many stories would not be covered if it was not in the Twitter Universe first.

And now you can decide whether you believe it or not thanks to Musk.

Even the Government has used it to spread Stories and Influence people.

Old 11-15-2022, 12:07 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
It's probably the best source of news today. It allows the Citizen Journalist an outlet to get the story out. Many stories would not be covered if it was not in the Twitter Universe first.

But as with all things tech, relevance is short lived. BBS/Usenet and AOL used to be hugely important, Myspace, Friendster. It's why Twitter/Facebook and whatnot spend the odd few billion here and there on acquisitions. If you're not innovating in tech you're probably on death row. Twitter is my generation. TikTok is Gen Z. Twitter tried a bunch of times to innovate to video format, buying Vine Periscope and whatnot, but it never really caught on. Death can happen really fast, in ten years Twitter could still be relevant or it could be GeoCities. Kids these days probably never even heard of GeoCities.

The big thing wasn't Twitter. It is the internet in general. Twitters come and go, internet hasn't although governments are generally always trying to regulate and stop it.

Old 11-15-2022, 12:27 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,826,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Good question.

Some folks have pointed out that it can be very useful for getting out real time information during some sort of natural or man-made disaster. The data flow on twitter runs lean and can get through when network resources are limited.

Old 11-15-2022, 12:52 PM

8,055 posts, read 7,422,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
He is. At this point you have to wonder why he just didn't start his own social media platform from scratch, rather than spending billions to implode a functional system.
It's been pointed out that Musk could have started a competing service for way less than $44 billion. Not to mention he could have paid way less than $44 billion for Twitter -- but he couldn't resist the "50 plus 4-20" joke.

But then how do you attract users to a new platform? Ask the Orange Lord how it's going for his new platform. Ask GETTR, Parler, and Gab so it's working out.

I don't think Musk is intentionally firing people at Twitter just for kicks. He happened to buy it at a time when every tech company is laying off tens of thousands of white-collar workers. And he certainly had to get rid of the top executives that made Twitter a bastion of censorship. Others who are loyal to the ancien regime must go as well.

Old 11-15-2022, 01:32 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,732,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

It's also the fastest way to get a response from leaders sometimes.

Ukraine got free use of Musk's satellite network by direct request to Musk via Twitter.

Other consumers got direct response from corporations' CEO via Twitter too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events