Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2022, 07:39 AM

735 posts, read 408,490 times

Advertisements

Twitter sucks anyways. Twitter is good for emergencies, ie power outage, go directly to the power company.

to Musk. How do u think he made his money. Being nice, of course he is an azzhole. Proof of that was his unmanned car that killed some pedestrians, I barely heard anything from him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2022, 08:06 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
From what I read, a few hundred walked away yesterday which still left thousands employed.

And he said from the beginning he was open to Work from Home if there was a legitimate reason.
You've got that backwards - a few hundred walked away yesterday which left a few hundred employed.

Twitter hasn't released anything, but that's been the word in the agency world. My 5th ad rep in 2 1/2 weeks, her boss, and her boss's boss all quit. She informed me (via LinkedIn) that there's no one from her team left.

A few friends from college worked in engineering. One was on the Android team - every single person walked.

Old 11-18-2022, 08:16 AM

10,547 posts, read 7,743,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

...A few friends from college worked in engineering. One was on the Android team - every single person walked.
That's not what Musk wants to see. He said the new Twitter will be "much more engineering driven."

Old 11-18-2022, 08:43 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,214,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

Plus he has the Tech from his other companies that can help pick up any slack. He's about to put people on the moon. Finding people for Twitter will be a breeze.
As long as "about to" means years you might be right. SpaceX is not putting people on the moon anytime in the near future.

Elon is a brilliant idea guy. He thinks big. He has a big problem with social interaction and communication as we've all seen from his tweets. Here's a glimpse of how he is as an employer.

From the Wired article Dr. Elon, Mr. Musk from 2019:

THE YOUNG TESLA engineer was excited. Ecstatic, in fact. It was a Saturday in October 2017, and he was working at the Gigafactory, Tesla’s enormous battery manufacturing plant in Nevada. Over the previous year, he had been living out of a suitcase, putting in 13-hour days, seven days a week. This was his first real job. And now a colleague had tracked him down to say that Elon Musk—Elon Musk!—needed his personal help.

Musk was spending the weekend in the Gigafactory, attempting to discover why machines weren’t functioning, why parts kept misaligning, why the software was crashing. Musk had demanded that his factories be automated as much as possible. But among the consequences of this extreme roboticization were delays and malfunctions. Tesla had spent more than $1 billion building the Gigafactory, and almost nothing was going as planned.

At about 10 o’clock on Saturday evening, an angry Musk was examining one of the production line’s mechanized modules, trying to figure out what was wrong, when the young, excited engineer was brought over to assist him.

“Hey, buddy, this doesn’t work!†Musk shouted at the engineer, according to someone who heard the conversation. “Did you do this?â€

The engineer was taken aback. He had never met Musk before. Musk didn’t even know the engineer’s name. The young man wasn’t certain what, exactly, Musk was asking him, or why he sounded so angry.
“You mean, program the robot?†the engineer said. “Or design that tool?â€

“Did you f**king do this?†Musk asked him.
“I’m not sure what you’re referring to?†the engineer replied apologetically.
“You’re a f**king idiot!†Musk shouted back. “Get the f**k out and don’t come back!â€

The young engineer climbed over a low safety barrier and walked away. He was bewildered by what had just happened. The entire conversation had lasted less than a minute. A few moments later, his manager came over to say that he had been fired on Musk’s orders, according to two people with knowledge of the situation. The engineer was shocked. He’d been working so hard. He was set to get a review from his manager the next week, and had been hearing only positive things. Instead, two days later, he signed his separation papers.

Old 11-18-2022, 09:05 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,059,166 times
Here is why this is not going to work for him. Tech workers are in high demand. This video shows the type of workplace that companies like Google offer to attract workers. But Musk thinks that he can do the same thing by offering a workplace resembling that of a... Nazi concentration camp. Who is going to work for him under those conditions, when there are other wonderful tech companies offering the sky to come and work for them? Nobody.

He has already fired over half his workforce. Now he has convinced most of the rest to quit. He paid $44 billion for a tech company that was worth a fraction of that, and is now worth even less because it has virtually no workers, and nobody else in their right minds are going to come and work for him. Sure the company will continue operating with a skeleton workforce. Mostly H-1B visa holders and other low end workers who are too desperate for a job to quit. But those are not the type of workers who are going to make Musk any money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-ixbvL5y8M

Old 11-18-2022, 09:08 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
He has already fired over half his workforce. Now he has convinced most of the rest to quit. He paid $44 billion for a tech company that was worth a fraction of that, and is now worth even less because it has virtually no workers, and nobody else in their right minds are going to come and work for him. Sure the company will continue operating with a skeleton workforce. Mostly H-1B visa holders and other low end workers who are too desperate for a job to quit. But those are not the type of workers who are going to make Musk any money.
And if/when this whole experiment fails, Musk will be out $45 billion dollars and still be one of the richest people in the world. But 8,000 employees will be out of a job for no other reason than a billionaire's ego trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Chemotherapy is painful. Cutting out the liberal cancer within Twitter will also be painful. Let's check back in a year to see how Twitter is doing. It's amazing how so many libs are keeping an hourly scorecard and highlighting every negative yet expect long-term patience for their agenda and speak in terms of years if not decades to see results. Elon is going to Build Back Better.
You don't see the irony in someone who claimed to support unfettered free speech trolling his employees social media accounts and work chat software and unceremoniously firing them if they criticized him?

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 11-18-2022 at 09:17 AM..

Old 11-18-2022, 09:13 AM

7,677 posts, read 5,524,010 times
What no one has mentioned on this thread is that Musk is on the the autism spectrum. He revealed last year when he was hosting SNL that he has Asperger's.
Quote:
"It's an honor to be hosting Saturday Night Live. I mean that," he began. "Sometimes when I say something, I have to say 'I mean that' so that people really know that I mean it. That's because I don't always have a lot of intonational variation in how I speak ... which I'm told makes for great comedy." He went on to say that he has Asperger's. "So I won't make a lot of eye contact with the cast tonight. But don't worry, I'm pretty good at running 'human' in emulation mode."

There are plenty of other Asperger's characteristics that he didn't mention but has clearly displayed. People with Asperger's are known to have interests that become obsessions (check). They are often fascinated by machines (triple check). They often are socially awkward (yup). They lack empathy and may not understand conventional social rules, which might explain Musk's bizarre decision to call a leader of the Thai cave rescue "pedo guy" in a tweet, which got him sued. And, according to the Autism Society, most people with Asperger's have average-to-above-average intelligence.
https://www.inc.com/minda-zetlin/elo...e-grandin.html

Old 11-18-2022, 09:54 AM

7,677 posts, read 5,524,010 times
https://twitter.com/MosquitoCapital/...41177965678592
Quote:
I've seen a lot of people asking "why does everyone think Twitter is doomed?" As an SRE and sysadmin with 10+ years of industry experience, I wanted to write up a few scenarios that are real threats to the integrity of the bird site over the coming weeks.

For context, I have seen some variant of every one of these problems pose a serious threat to a billion-user application. I've even caused a couple of the more technical ones. I've been involved with triaging or fixing even more.
If you keep scrolling at the link, 29 different problem scenarios are described.

Old 11-18-2022, 10:05 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
That's not what Musk wants to see. He said the new Twitter will be "much more engineering driven."
Why would any talented engineer stay? It's surprising to me that someone as supposedly smart as Elon Musk is didn't realize that there's no reason for talented people to stay at Twitter after what he has done to the culture and future prospects of the company.

Some people choose to join startups with a "hardcore", 40+ week minimum expectation because of the chance of payoff through equity or growth. But Twitter is an established company - no one with any other option whatsoever is going to stay somewhere to do double the work for the same or less salary with no hopes of growth. People aren't willing to give up their time with their family (if they could even find childcare to cover those unexpected long hours last minute) at an established company to keep the lights on. No way.

Old 11-18-2022, 10:19 AM

10,547 posts, read 7,743,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Why would any talented engineer stay? ..
Foreigners working on visas?

I just read mention of an internal memo suggesting that only 25% of current Twitter engineers plan to stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events