Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2022, 01:34 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
It's also the fastest way to get a response from leaders sometimes.

Ukraine got free use of Musk's satellite network by direct request to Musk via Twitter.

Other consumers got direct response from corporations' CEO via Twitter too.
It's not even CEOs, sometimes a well-expressed tweet gets faster and better customer service than sending an email or navigating through a phone tree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2022, 02:34 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,733,079 times
Yep, I'm pretty sure they started the 'viral' trend.

For better or for worse, Twitter is a powerful social media weapon.

If you have a legitimate complain against a company, blast it on Twitter. When it goes viral, you better believe that company will respond to you immediately.

Old 11-15-2022, 03:05 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,205,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't see where I have attacked him at all. I have mostly posted links and given brief summaries of the links. My opinions have not one thing to do with left or right. Is that why you seem so offended, you see him as some hero of the Right? I just think he's imploding Twitter and can't even conceive of a worse start.
It is attacking when you repeat vicious allegations without having verified them. For example, your allegation that he told employees to expect 80 hour work weeks. You attempted to stick to that allegation several times but have yet to produce anything that has him saying any such thing. Why did you repeat that allegation when you obviously never saw anything from Musk saying that? Then your false allegation that their stock crashed last week. Maybe you should get the facts straight before you participate in a discussion about it.

What you call "defending" him is setting the facts straight and demanding references for vicious allegations.

Old 11-15-2022, 03:08 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,205,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
What, we're not entitled to an opinion?

Forbes magazine recently had an article exploring the idea of whether Musk is trying to destroy Twitter.

I'm a liberal and have neve been either a fan or hater of Musk. You're too hung up on the political angle, IMO.
You're entitled to an opinion but your opinion is not entitled to respect when it is ill-informed.

Old 11-16-2022, 01:41 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
It's been pointed out that Musk could have started a competing service for way less than $44 billion. Not to mention he could have paid way less than $44 billion for Twitter -- but he couldn't resist the "50 plus 4-20" joke.

But then how do you attract users to a new platform? Ask the Orange Lord how it's going for his new platform. Ask GETTR, Parler, and Gab so it's working out.

I don't think Musk is intentionally firing people at Twitter just for kicks. He happened to buy it at a time when every tech company is laying off tens of thousands of white-collar workers. And he certainly had to get rid of the top executives that made Twitter a bastion of censorship. Others who are loyal to the ancien regime must go as well.

Good post. Agree he bought it when tech companies in general are doing layoffs. Possible they were getting laid off anyway but old owner waited to let Musk be the bad guy.

Did he really pay $44 billion for it? That sounds like $44 billion too much. It should only be worth a few million.

Old 11-16-2022, 07:08 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
It is attacking when you repeat vicious allegations without having verified them. For example, your allegation that he told employees to expect 80 hour work weeks. You attempted to stick to that allegation several times but have yet to produce anything that has him saying any such thing. Why did you repeat that allegation when you obviously never saw anything from Musk saying that? Then your false allegation that their stock crashed last week. Maybe you should get the facts straight before you participate in a discussion about it.

What you call "defending" him is setting the facts straight and demanding references for vicious allegations.
Vicious allegations, really??? I already conceded that the 80 hour thing is unverifiable, what is it you want from me? I still don't get why you seem so personally offended here.

Old 11-16-2022, 07:23 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,425,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Good post. Agree he bought it when tech companies in general are doing layoffs. Possible they were getting laid off anyway but old owner waited to let Musk be the bad guy.

Did he really pay $44 billion for it? That sounds like $44 billion too much. It should only be worth a few million.
Actually, Twitter founder Jack Dorsey (who left the company prior to Musk's tender offer) said recently that he had let the company grow too fast, and that Musk's layoffs were necessary.

Also, watch for dark, dog-whistle accusations that Musk is the partner of Saudi princes. But don't let them fool you. The Saudi royal family bought their large stake in 2015, and was not part of the recent buyout.

https://qz.com/519388/this-saudi-pri...ck-dorsey-does

P.S. I love the complaints over Elon ending the Free Lunch program at corporate HQ. Almost nobody comes into the office anymore, so maintaining the kitchen, dining room, and staff meant that every meal cost $400.

Old 11-16-2022, 08:20 AM

1,108 posts, read 528,130 times
Quote:
Of course they have a choice, but you wouldn't be happy about it and neither would I. The assumption seeming to be from some posters that they are entitled or something for complaining about all these rapid changes. I don't think that's the case at all. I think any of us would be unhappy about it and complaining about it.
Yea so what! Again if you bitched to me as i was losing $4m a day you would be fired too. Twitter is not a non profit company and changes had to be made too survive. ***** all you want but dont let the door hit your butt while you leave cause i would not put up with your gripes as i am writing the checks each week.

I have had to turn around two companies in my career and trust me its no fun and Musk does not take pleasure in firing or letting go people. I had to fire dozens each time to make sure the companies would be in a position to survive and both did. But is was not easy and not fun. Its no secret that twitter was losing money and it should not be a surprise to anyone working there that radical changes were required to turn things around.

Old 11-16-2022, 08:44 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,733,079 times
Quote:
It's not so much the lunch by itself, but that he is instituting instantaneous changes right off the bat. Ending remote work "effective immediately", not even giving people a chance to find child care, etc. Just like the pundits say about abortion being overturned, people rebel when you take things away from them. ANY employee in any company would rebel at someone coming in, firing half the staff, re-hiring half of those, and changing things all at once. It is a recipe for a toxic culture. I am sure if someone came into my company or yours, and the first thing they did was take all your benefits and perks away, we'd rebel about it, too.
Here's the irony, the SF HQ where the free lunch was offered would have only 10% - 25% occupancy at best since Covid. They actually offered free breakfast, lunch, and dinner. There were more people preparing the meal than the people who actually eat it. Talk about waste!

Musk is a wrecking ball at Twitter, sure. But what is also glaringly obvious is the massive entitlement mentality that these tech workers have. Employment in the US is at-will on both sides. Accept it and move on (or more to France where it's almost impossible for you to get fired from your job).

Old 11-16-2022, 09:45 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Many allegations that the Twitter layoffs did not comply with the WARN act, which covers companies planning on mass layoffs-

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/bus...hase-rcna55619
I would guess that is true—Musk hates governmental oversight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events