Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2022, 10:23 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,561,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It's not so much the lunch by itself, but that he is instituting instantaneous changes right off the bat. Ending remote work "effective immediately", not even giving people a chance to find child care, etc. Just like the pundits say about abortion being overturned, people rebel when you take things away from them. ANY employee in any company would rebel at someone coming in, firing half the staff, re-hiring half of those, and changing things all at once. It is a recipe for a toxic culture. I am sure if someone came into my company or yours, and the first thing they did was take all your benefits and perks away, we'd rebel about it, too.
Was it really that sudden. Stories of musk buying and making huge changes floated around for quite a while. If I was an employee I would have been making plans in case he did. Unless employees felt so entitled and untouchable ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2022, 10:27 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Was it really that sudden. Stories of musk buying and making huge changes floated around for quite a while. If I was an employee I would have been making plans in case he did. Unless employees felt so entitled and untouchable ?
Twitter employees might have been wary, but not wanting to blow up their lives to leave a company they liked working for until they knew for certain that something was changing. Tech companies were always big on perks and flexibility and non-corporate work structures, so it's not necessarily being entitled to be alarmed at someone coming in like a wrecking ball with a "the beatings will continue until morale improves" mentality.

Memos like what was sent out last night will make it easy for people to quit with no compunction and get their severance: https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/16/tech/...ter/index.html

Quote:
“Going forward, to build a breakthrough Twitter 2.0 and succeed in an increasingly competitive world, we will need to be extremely hardcore,” Musk wrote in the memo. “This will mean working long hours at high intensity. Only exceptional performance will constitute a passing grade.”

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 11-16-2022 at 10:38 AM..

Old 11-16-2022, 10:35 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
This is what I don't get, why do some seem to resent these employees so much? 99.9% of people are going to be unhappy with instantaneous sweeping changes at their workplace, it doesn't make them "entitled". It's normal.

And I think the way he went about it was not good.

Old 11-16-2022, 10:36 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
Quote:
There was just as much uncertainty he was going to back out as there was certainty he would complete the deal

Changing company policy is usually done with advance warning—two weeks, a month, at the new year—
48 hrs seems to be pretty quick for a change like no remote work at all

Musk is just a bully and narcissistic as they come
He hope people will quit—makes firing that much easier

Last edited by loves2read; 11-16-2022 at 11:05 AM..

Old 11-16-2022, 10:41 AM

11,428 posts, read 5,973,383 times
Did Musk want to buy Twitter once he knew it was half bots and he was able to see from the inside?

Was Musk forced to buy Twitter by the lawsuits?

I think you would see a different Elon Musk if he willingly purchased a healthy, transparent company that represented itself plainly vs. being forced to purchase Twitter under duress of lawsuits after realizing it was not the healthy company he thought he was buying.

Meanwhile, his entire new employee base considers him to be Enemy Number 1.

You can't see it from his side?

That doesn't mean he should be vindictive to those employees, but I can see where Musk would go all out hardline after being forced purchase a company overstaffed with people who hate his guts -- in fact overpay for said company.

Old 11-16-2022, 10:53 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,427,941 times
They need similar layoffs at facebook while they're at it...especially the bots who jail people for long periods of time for petty comments. I don't know of any other platform that's as strict.

Old 11-16-2022, 11:03 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Did Musk want to buy Twitter once he knew it was half bots and he was able to see from the inside?

Was Musk forced to buy Twitter by the lawsuits?

I think you would see a different Elon Musk if he willingly purchased a healthy, transparent company that represented itself plainly vs. being forced to purchase Twitter under duress of lawsuits after realizing it was not the healthy company he thought he was buying.

Meanwhile, his entire new employee base considers him to be Enemy Number 1.

You can't see it from his side?

That doesn't mean he should be vindictive to those employees, but I can see where Musk would go all out hardline after being forced purchase a company overstaffed with people who hate his guts -- in fact overpay for said company.
If Musk made a deal he had to honor without ensuring he was getting value for money that is on HIM and not the employees of the company—
You get a bad deal at the Ford dealership, you can’t take it out on the assembly line people

It sounded to me like he did not truly do due diligence before he made the contract or he trusted on his “image/power/money” to bully the Twitter folks into backing down
They had better lawyers than he did it seems and he was “forced” to maybe complete a deal he thought he could mangle to get what HE wanted

This all seems to me to be so much like Trump does business—no wonder they like each other
Musk wants Twitter for the empowerment it gives him in the media zone—
He is going to weaponize it to spread his own brand of “truth”
I don’t use Twitter—only see quotes if they manage to make it into written commentary but there are some people who live/breath through Twitter—
They are going to have to decide if they will support Musk’s agenda by doing their own thing even if they don’t advance his “truth”

With Murdock not supporting Trump in his 24 campaign via Fox or his other outlets, Musk and Twitter may become an important portal if Musk lets Trump back in

Old 11-16-2022, 11:17 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
Why do people care what Musk does with his money? If he wants to buy something and shut it down he will be 1 of 10,000 other companies that have done this.

Old 11-16-2022, 11:26 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Why do people care what Musk does with his money? If he wants to buy something and shut it down he will be 1 of 10,000 other companies that have done this.
Because Twitter as a service is used by millions of people for a variety of reasons. News and government organizations use it to disseminate information quickly, businesses use it as part of their marketing strategies, professionals in a variety of fields and industries use it for networking; private citizens use it, public citizens use it. For people who've found community and communication in the platform, they're wondering where to go to keep those connections. There are also questions among twitter users right now of where is the data going--if Twitter really implodes, there's a record of communications that will be lost, almost as if the archives of a newspaper is completely destroyed.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 11-16-2022 at 12:36 PM..

Old 11-16-2022, 12:47 PM

7,908 posts, read 3,454,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Because Twitter as a service is used by millions of people for a variety of reasons. News and government organizations use it to disseminate information quickly, businesses use it as part of their marketing strategies, professionals in a variety of fields and industries use it for networking; private citizens use it, public citizens use it. For people who've found community and communication in the platform, they're wondering where to go to keep those connections. There are also questions among twitter users right now of where is the data going--if Twitter really implodes, there's a record of communications that will be lost, almost as if the archives of a newspaper is completely destroyed.
That's a reason in favor of massive reform at the company, not against it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events