Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2022, 05:55 PM

43,055 posts, read 18,237,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
So that's probably around 30,000 workers in the tech sector out of a job between Twitter, Facebook/Meta, and now Amazon. Happy holidays, everyone!
Intel also played off workers and many tech firms now have hiring freezes.

Inflation and interest rate hikes and a new corporate global tax in 2023 …
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2022, 06:01 PM

43,055 posts, read 18,237,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Ya sure about that? If you went to a restaurant and an employee called you a "fat bastard" or "****ing idiot" to your face and got fired for it, do you think that employee would have a legal case about "wrongful termination"? Would that company be forced to give that employee back his job?
If an employee at a Fortune 500 company joked (but not really) on social media that he'd like to have sex with young children, but got fired for it, do you think he should get his job back? Ditto with people who bring politics into work (whether you're registered with one party or another). In the US, folks are hired "at will", and don't have protection against these sorts of remarks (something from the Reagon administration).
Well none of that happened.

People were banned for political views and dissent against the covid vaccine so why not address that ?

Old 11-14-2022, 07:25 PM

7,677 posts, read 5,524,010 times
The Man Behind Mastodon Built It for This Moment
Quote:
Instead of creating a single unified platform, the Mastodon protocol allows anyone to use open-source software to boot up a server that hosts a Twitter-style community with its own rules. Together those servers form a collective of interlinked communities dubbed the “Fediverse.” People can join a server that matches their interests and community standards, but also connect with users on other servers, or block all content from a particular server completely.
Quote:
What did you make of Elon Musk poking fun of Mastodon in a recent tweet?

Honestly, it was really a good thing for us. It's free advertising, and he's just making a fool of himself.
Communities are still subject to Mastodon’s overall server rules as well as their own community rules and are responsible for moderation of their own community. Apparently maintaining a Mastodon community on a server can cost as little as $6 per month.

Oh, and there is no advertising on Mastodon.

These are the server rules:
Quote:
* Sexually explicit or violent media must be marked as sensitive when posting
* No racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, xenophobia, or casteism
* No incitement of violence or promotion of violent ideologies
* No harassment, dogpiling or doxxing of other users
* No content illegal in Germany
* Do not share intentionally false or misleading information
https://mastodon.social/about

Last edited by cdnirene; 11-14-2022 at 07:40 PM..

Old 11-14-2022, 11:12 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,473,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Well none of that happened.

People were banned for political views and dissent against the covid vaccine so why not address that ?
Humor me. If a restaurant worker were to call a customer a "****ing idiot", do you think he'd keep his job? Do you think he could use "free speech" to get his job back?

The people who got banned were spreading falsehoods about the COVID vaccine. Simple as that.

Old 11-15-2022, 07:09 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroship View Post
Is twitter really worth all this discussion? I mean how many people here really post there? It really doesn't have that many members. Press likes to quote it and build entire articles around a twitter post, it's getting ridiculous. Maybe the world would be better if it were made irrelevant or reconfigured by Elon Musk into something unrecognizable, just like Ted Nugent years ago tried to buy the musically soulless Muzak for the sole purpose of destroying it. When it comes down to it, it serves no purpose except for ads, outbursts, and for lazy reporters to build articles.

Anyways the current news is that Musk is subjecting his employees to, brace yourself - NO MORE FREE LUNCH!
Oh the humanity. Used to be a perk for employees in the SF office but no more. Of course the twitter threads from employees regarding this new inhumane travesty are endless, one complaining that he is subjecting his employees to starvation. How dare Musk subject his employees to such mistreatment where they actually have to brown bag or buy there own lunch like the masses.
It's not so much the lunch by itself, but that he is instituting instantaneous changes right off the bat. Ending remote work "effective immediately", not even giving people a chance to find child care, etc. Just like the pundits say about abortion being overturned, people rebel when you take things away from them. ANY employee in any company would rebel at someone coming in, firing half the staff, re-hiring half of those, and changing things all at once. It is a recipe for a toxic culture. I am sure if someone came into my company or yours, and the first thing they did was take all your benefits and perks away, we'd rebel about it, too.

Old 11-15-2022, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I'm not really clear why you - or anyone else - has any business much less is qualified on declaring what Musk is doing. Why are you attacking so vociferously? Liberals loved the guy before he attacked a few key liberals and sided with Republicans on a few issues. Then suddenly liberals are searching and blasting out every single negative point they can. Liberals aren't raging against Bezos or Gates. You think they are any less ruthless in demanding performance from employees?
I don't see where I have attacked him at all. I have mostly posted links and given brief summaries of the links. My opinions have not one thing to do with left or right. Is that why you seem so offended, you see him as some hero of the Right? I just think he's imploding Twitter and can't even conceive of a worse start.

Old 11-15-2022, 07:17 AM

1,108 posts, read 528,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It's not so much the lunch by itself, but that he is instituting instantaneous changes right off the bat. Ending remote work "effective immediately", not even giving people a chance to find child care, etc. Just like the pundits say about abortion being overturned, people rebel when you take things away from them. ANY employee in any company would rebel at someone coming in, firing half the staff, re-hiring half of those, and changing things all at once. It is a recipe for a toxic culture. I am sure if someone came into my company or yours, and the first thing they did was take all your benefits and perks away, we'd rebel about it, too.
If your new company that you purchased with your own money was losing $4m a day i bet your griddle you would not waste one minute to cut expenses. The employees have a choice to work there under new rules or leave whether those rules changes in a month a year or day.

Old 11-15-2022, 07:18 AM

615 posts, read 340,802 times
Quote:
Twitter has always been a toxic culture of lazy, self-entitled, self-righteous, spoiled snow flakes. Elon is trying to turn it into actual business. Totally agree when he called it an "adult daycare center". Use the analogy of a cancerous tumor .......do you just slowly ride it out OR do you cut out the tumor as quick as possible and move to growth / healing?

Old 11-15-2022, 07:20 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
I just think he's imploding Twitter and can't even conceive of a worse start.
He is. At this point you have to wonder why he just didn't start his own social media platform from scratch, rather than spending billions to implode a functional system.

Old 11-15-2022, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by done working View Post
If your new company that you purchased with your own money was losing $4m a day i bet your griddle you would not waste one minute to cut expenses. The employees have a choice to work there under new rules or leave whether those rules changes in a month a year or day.
Of course they have a choice, but you wouldn't be happy about it and neither would I. The assumption seeming to be from some posters that they are entitled or something for complaining about all these rapid changes. I don't think that's the case at all. I think any of us would be unhappy about it and complaining about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events