Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2022, 10:26 AM

50,727 posts, read 36,431,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
Let's see, Elon Musk fell over backwards and when he got up he was the richest man in the world.

Why?

Because he developed from the ground up Zip, PayPal, Tesla, SpaceX, The Boring Company., maybe Solar too.

So now this really bad business man bought Twitter.

You said, "Does Musk have anything resembling a plan?"

I have to say, "Yes, sir, he does." A WeChat-like app would work in the USA? Don't cha think?

"WeChat is a Chinese instant messaging, social media, and mobile payment app developed by Tencent. First released in 2011, it became the world's largest standalone mobile app in 2018, with over 1 billion monthly active users." Wikipedia accessed 11/10/20.

There are one million users already in the USA. So just maybe Twitter becomes bigger than it is today, you know Twitter + Paypal.

Now, THATS a plan.
But that's your plan, not Elon's, as far as we know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2022, 12:38 PM

3,184 posts, read 1,659,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
The laid off workers supposedly receive 3 months salary as their severance package, which should cover the WARN act.

I am frankly baffled that these workers didn’t do anything to secure another employment beforehand. The whole acquisition saga was reported ad nauseam in the most public manner by pretty much all major news and opinion piece outlets - nobody with an internet connection could have missed it! Yet, they chose to stay, and now they complained about being ‘caught off guard’? All mergers and acquisitions will have layoffs - no matter what. Are they really that naive?

I think they purposely stayed to hold out for big severance package, and use the WARN act as an excuse because the package was smaller than they hoped to get.
I think most workers just want to hangout and see what's in store. There's no reason to jump ship quickly when there is gonna be a severance package. If I was working at Twitter, I would hangout just to see what's gonna be offered.

There's still plenty of tech jobs out there.

Old 11-10-2022, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
He said he's getting rid of the bots though, so does that change the above?
Elon wants to get rid of bots running accounts for posting fake news or pushing fake ranks to various hit pieces. Twitter has it's own internal API bots that are legit and designed to forward tweets within any website or blog post that uses Twitter's API. The entire Twitter ecosystem is executed and managed by internal bots for delivery of tweets within various internet sites and even within apps.

Old 11-10-2022, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Elon wants to get rid of bots running accounts for posting fake news or pushing fake ranks to various hit pieces. Twitter has it's own internal API bots that are legit and designed to forward tweets within any website or blog post that uses Twitter's API. The entire Twitter ecosystem is executed and managed by internal bots for delivery of tweets within various internet sites and even within apps.
Ok, thanks. It's still just jibberish to me, but I'll take your word for it, lol.

Old 11-11-2022, 09:20 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,212,197 times
Default I'd like to take credit ...

Quote:
But that's your plan, not Elon's, as far as we know.
... for the Twitter + PayPay business model but somewhere on the many sites grousing or lionizing Musk, thus spake Musk.

Sorry? The only thing to be sorry about is that you, I am guessing, and I, didn't get in on the ground floor.

Old 11-11-2022, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
i like how 7000 get fire from twitter and its a big deal, 11,000 get fired from facebook and nobody cares
Because the left wants to make people hate Twitter now that's no longer a leftist paradise. When 90% of Twitter employees vote Democrat party, that won't lead to good ethnical governance. I could careless about what the left or right says but censorship of any kind is bad.

Censorship only leads to destructive results. You can censor someone's mouth but not stop their fists from coming for you. It's better to let people talk things out then to settle with violence. That's what I hope we can do instead of this toxic political environment we have today where each side is coming after each other due to cancel culture and ways to abuse information and conversation from happening.

Even when we let Donald Trump talk, he hasn't helped the mid-term election results for his cause. This is why we need to have open discussions so people can reason and make good decisions. The more Trump is censored the stronger he fuels his supporters.

Old 11-11-2022, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Because the left wants to make people hate Twitter now that's no longer a leftist paradise. When 90% of Twitter employees vote Democrat party, that won't lead to good ethnical governance. I could careless about what the left or right says but censorship of any kind is bad.

Censorship only leads to destructive results. You can censor someone's mouth but not stop their fists from coming for you. It's better to let people talk things out then to settle with violence. That's what I hope we can do instead of this toxic political environment we have today where each side is coming after each other due to cancel culture and ways to abuse information and conversation from happening.

Even when we let Donald Trump talk, he hasn't helped the mid-term election results for his cause. This is why we need to have open discussions so people can reason and make good decisions. The more Trump is censored the stronger he fuels his supporters.
I didn't report it, but politics are not allowed to be discussed on Current Events.

Old 11-11-2022, 10:48 AM

So, he told all his employees yesterday (in an e-mail sent at 2:39am) that remote work is ending "effective immediately" and all employees are expected in the office 40 hours a week, but also that they should expect 80 hour work weeks. He is eliminating perks like free food that they apparently had before. He also told them to "expect difficult times ahead", including possible bankruptcy.

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon...report-2022-11

Old 11-11-2022, 11:33 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
So, he told all his employees yesterday (in an e-mail sent at 2:39am) that remote work is ending "effective immediately" and all employees are expected in the office 40 hours a week, but also that they should expect 80 hour work weeks. He is eliminating perks like free food that they apparently had before. He also told them to "expect difficult times ahead", including possible bankruptcy.

Wow, tell us again about how Elon Musk is a visionary business leader?

Old 11-11-2022, 11:40 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Quote:

Please provide the quote from Musk where he said to expect 80 hours per week. I could find no such quote in the referenced article or any others. Not somebody's interpretation or reading a message between the lines or secondhand allegation from some unnamed source, a quote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events