Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 02:26 PM

687 posts, read 1,578,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
I have a little insight into the situation. You see, I married a Mexican National. My two sons are bilinguial. While I do think it is okay for Mexicans to migrate to this nation, I don't think they should be allowed to bring in with them the same damned tyranny that they fled from.
The vast majority I've known are thrilled to be here and don't bring "tyranny" with them. There's a reason they left their country to come and be a part of ours, and that reason is usually to get away from that tyranny. I think you're taking a few bad apples and holding them out as representative of the bunch, which isn't fair or correct.

Quote:
Look, we in Texas feel helpless because the powerful in Washington are forcing us to spread our legs to welcome in anyone coming up to cross over our borders.
Please don't speak for me as a Texan, because I don't agree with you. I don't feel helpless at all. While I'm all for increased border security, I think you're taking the issue to an extreme.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:29 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,272,119 times
Actually Mexico City is much more of a global city than Dallas, so this is actually a compliment.

Also I find the language fears amusing. My grandparents came to Texas legally. My parents caught all kinds of grief as non-English speaking children in East Texas. But guess what. They assimilated. Consequently I know very little Spanish. Now the tables are slowly turning, and Spanish may become the dominant language in my lifetime. I don't have a problem with that. I actually enjoy more education

Old 09-23-2010, 02:31 PM

4 posts, read 6,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Actually Mexico City is much more of a global city than Dallas, so this is actually a compliment.

Also I find the language fears amusing. My grandparents came to Texas legally. My parents caught all kinds of grief as non-English speaking children in East Texas. But guess what. They assimilated. Consequently I know very little Spanish. Now the tables are slowly turning, and Spanish may become the dominant language in my lifetime. I don't have a problem with that. I actually enjoy more education

i agree ppl need to understand spanish is becoming the language of choice in texas and u need to learn it... if you dont like it then leave texas and go to maine or something. stop complaining

Old 09-23-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Look, when Exxon builds its new headquarters, it won't be in downtown Houston, Uptown, or in the Energy Corridor. No, it will be just south of The Woodlands.
I think you make the same mistake that others make in regards to what causes massive shifts in population. It isn't the big stresses, but the culmination of lots of little ones. With the massive invasion coming across the border from Mexico into Texas, there are lots of little stresses. At first, just a few people move. When that movement becomes the fashionable thing to do, then it becomes villified.
You've got to be kidding. Are you seriously trying to convince me that Exxon is building its headquarters south of The Woodlands because of illegal immigration? Did you ever consider that perhaps the land is cheaper there? Or that the suburbs in that area are booming and provide more housing choices for Exxon's employees that are a shorter distance from a location in, say, downtown?

I'll keep a watch out for your invasion next time my work takes me to the borderlands.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:37 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,775,588 times
Unfortunately, The Dallas of the Future looks far WORSE than Mexico City, Today.

Mexico, currently, is a relatively-rich nation neighboring a (still, but only temporarily) rich nation. Much of Mexico's wealth is due to its proximity to the US. The US, once it sinks into poverty and dysfunction, will not have a rich neighbor. The only rich countries will be China, Korea, and Japan.

Whether the US splinters into smaller nations, or simply goes the way of Russia and China, sinking into a morass of murder and poverty (after they had succumbed to Marxist Ideologies and regimes), but with borders intact, things are almost surely going to be horrible. Western Civilization, itself, will probably disappear.

So, the standard of living in Dallas will not even approach that of Mexico City, today.

And remember that Dallas has a horrible climate, given to temperature extremes. Mexico City has a very stable and benign climate, due to its high altitude and low humidity. Once Dallas' infrastructure decays to match America's new Third-World populace, those central heating and cooling units will be too costly to run and maintain, for most people. And when all those tarpaper roofs on all those Dallas McMansions start to leak...and Black Mould starts growing in the insulation.... Ewwwwww.....

And take a look at the National IQ Tables from IQ & The Wealth of Nations. Currently, America is importing hordes of people from places where the Average IQ is far below that of Pre-Columbian North American Natives. The Average IQ in Dallas may end up far lower than that of today's Mexico City. Low IQ has a high correlation with poverty and crime.

Plus, there will be famines, and government purges of targeted groups, and armed paramilitary groups from various factions roaming about robbing and torturing and maiming and murdering, and riots... and no-telling-what-else... (like regular prison trains, loaded with Americans, imprisoned on one pretext or another, being shipped off to points unknown, to be worked to death as 'contract labor' for one corporation or another).

So no: only in one's wildest dreams will the Dallas of Tomorrow be like the Mexico City of Today.

(But don't worry: this will only last a couple of decades. Without altruistic Europeans around to lobby for environmental causes, technology will run amok, and the Planet will soon be incapable of supporting higher life forms.)

Old 09-23-2010, 02:47 PM

Well, I don't think even Mr. Nifty can top that.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:50 PM

624 posts, read 906,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
No offense but that is the most idiotic post I have seen. California anglos are not moving to Arizona and Nevada because they lack a latino presence. They are moving there because of jobs and lower cost of living. Heck Phoenix by itself has the fourth highest population of Mexicans and Mexican Americans in the U.S. Likewise Texas anglos are not going to move to Austin or DFW because of a domineering Latino presence in Houston and San Antonio. Especially since Texas as a whole is a minority majority state and that DFW by itself has a large and rapidly growing hispanic population along with Austin.
An idiotic post I'll second that, as one who lives in north SA I certainly won't be leaving because of a Hispanic presence. As someone else stated many Hispanic go back several generations and have no ties to Mexico, go visit some of the VFW posts in SA they filled with Hispanics who fought in America's foreign wars.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:45 PM

912 posts, read 1,888,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Do you ever look at or consider facts when posting? The Mexican community in Houston and San Antonio is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more established than the Mexican community in Dallas (and DFW). By contrast, on the whole, DFW's Mexican community is much more blue collar, impoverished, and foreign born.

What makes me say that you might ask?

As of 2007, here is some hard data to chew on:

Total Mexican population per metro area (inclusive of Mexicans born in US):

Greater Houston: 1,523,765
Dallas/Fort Worth: 1,489,901

Foreign born Mexicans only:

Greater Houston: 588,143
Dallas/Fort Worth: 634,589

While the Houston metro area has more total Mexicans, the Metroplex is home to the 3rd largest foreign born Mexican community in the US. Those are the Mexicans that most people try and stay away from, not the Mexicans that have been here for generations and have become Americanized.

The roads going to Mexico theory is definitely one of the more dumb ones I have heard. If that is the case, why does Greater Chicago have more Mexicans and as many total Latinos as Greater Houston? There are no direct roads going there.

I strongly suggest you look at this link:

Swing State Project: Demographic Sea Change in Texas

In the core of the Greater Houston metro area, 116,518 new White residents came between 2000 and 2007. By contrast, only 65,245 new white residents came to the Metroplex.

To add to all of this the last year on year that Greater Houston received more Mexicans than DFW was 1999.

I might also add that Greater Houston is receiving as many domestic residents as DFW. Since 2000, DFW received approximately 965,000 new domestic residents, Greater Houston received approximately 919,000.

So tell me again, since we now have established that DFW is receiving a larger "invasion" from Mexico and Greater Houston has received as many (by percentage) new domestic residents since 2000 as DFW, what's the difference?
Check my figuring here. But if the Dallas - Fort Worth area has 1,489,901 Hispanics and its population is 660,000 people larger than that of greater Houston, then it has a smaller percentage of overall Hispanics. I mean, 660,000 people is a lot of people.
You are playing around with numbers here.
If there is a migration of Anglos in Texas in the future, I suspect their will also be a migration of Mexican Nationals back south. Right? I also suspect that the Mexican Americans will be wanting to flee the unimpeded invasion coming across the border from Mexico just like every other American will.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:53 PM

912 posts, read 1,888,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH View Post
An idiotic post I'll second that, as one who lives in north SA I certainly won't be leaving because of a Hispanic presence. As someone else stated many Hispanic go back several generations and have no ties to Mexico, go visit some of the VFW posts in SA they filled with Hispanics who fought in America's foreign wars.
Yes, and dark skinned Texicans lived in the Mexican state of Texas before the Anglos were invited to move and settle here. But the Comanches really owned everything. That is why the Anglos were invited to settle in the state in the first place. It was hoped they would increase in numbers to the extent that they would serve as a buffer zone between Mexico and the Commanches.
Out of three Mexican states in revolution against the dictator Santa Anna, Texas is the only state to succeed. That, my friend, happened mostly because of Anglos.
As an Anglo, I don't want to have to move to Oklahoma in the future. But, as hard as it is to admit so, I'd much rather be an American living in Oklahoma than have to live in a Texas once again corrupted by the tyranny state of Mexico.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:59 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,755,023 times
Quote:
Check my figuring here. But if the Dallas - Fort Worth area has 1,489,901 Hispanics and its population is 660,000 people larger than that of greater Houston, then it has a smaller percentage of overall Hispanics. I mean, 660,000 people is a lot of people.
You are playing around with numbers here.
If there is a migration of Anglos in Texas in the future, I suspect their will also be a migration of Mexican Nationals back south. Right? I also suspect that the Mexican Americans will be wanting to flee the unimpeded invasion coming across the border from Mexico just like every other American will.
You missed the point. DFW's Mexican community is much more foreign born than Houston's or San Antonio's. It is much less established and it is much more impoverished.

And youre second point is from the moon. It makes no sense at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas