Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 07:39 AM

104 posts, read 250,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz View Post
I think that transcripts should be factored in. I would definitely say 'nay' because of them. We only pick 1 person for president and 50 people for governors. Given such a small pool, this people should be stellar and top notch in every way. I think we end up with these doofuses (and I include Perry as one) because the bar keeps getting lower and lower. We should be picking people who are much more accomplished than ourselves and we should be very picky about it.
This is essentially the point I was trying to make. The Role of POTUS should go to an uniquely qualified individual! While I agree with an earlier comment that being smart doesn't mean you are a good leader, I disagree that you can be dumb, and have the respect of the free world! I don't care what Perry got in gym class, or even English, but a D in economics, is troubling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 08:40 AM

662 posts, read 1,451,376 times
This transcript only reinforces my feelings about Perry. People who are die-hard supporters won't care anyway. True, people change, but his grades are horrible. Somebody smart but somewhat lazy could still get B's, and I'm an older lady who went to school before grade inflation as well. I agree that being intelligent doesn't mean one will be a great leader, but I want someone very, very smart to be the leader of our country. We have some very big problems to solve.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:03 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,218,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Grieves View Post
This is essentially the point I was trying to make. The Role of POTUS should go to an uniquely qualified individual! While I agree with an earlier comment that being smart doesn't mean you are a good leader, I disagree that you can be dumb, and have the respect of the free world! I don't care what Perry got in gym class, or even English, but a D in economics, is troubling.
Economics exams are typically essay response in nature. Maybe the professor just didn't like Perry's writing style, or insert any excuse.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:17 AM

229 posts, read 607,181 times
Perry's an idiot, plain and simple. Looking at his grades, things make a lot more sense now. I agree with nonexpat; I am lazy but intelligent. I ended up with a 3.5 because although my first two years were mediocre (due to immaturity, which we are giving Perry a pass for), I had enough common sense to realize that a higher GPA would considerably increase my chances of landing a good job upon graduation. And I did.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:32 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,749,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
This transcript only reinforces my feelings about Perry. People who are die-hard supporters won't care anyway. True, people change, but his grades are horrible. Somebody smart but somewhat lazy could still get B's, and I'm an older lady who went to school before grade inflation as well. I agree that being intelligent doesn't mean one will be a great leader, but I want someone very, very smart to be the leader of our country. We have some very big problems to solve.
My best people don't have college degrees or flunked out. They have shown they can learn on their own and continue to learn on their own. Many have learning disabilities like dyslexia or a deep passion for something that was not offered in school. Or were forced there by parents.

Most people with college degrees are clueless when things are new or some street smarts are required. Or just plain dumb if it is not spelled out for them.

Many of our top military leaders were near the back of their classes at the service academies. Patton comes to mind. So did many of the other men picked by Fox Connor to lead in the coming WWII.

Macarthur had the highest GPA ever at Westpoint and yet was an atrocious battlefield commander and was surrounded by sycophants.

Give me experience and good ideas over brains.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:16 PM

662 posts, read 1,451,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
My best people don't have college degrees or flunked out. They have shown they can learn on their own and continue to learn on their own. Many have learning disabilities like dyslexia or a deep passion for something that was not offered in school. Or were forced there by parents.

Most people with college degrees are clueless when things are new or some street smarts are required. Or just plain dumb if it is not spelled out for them.

Many of our top military leaders were near the back of their classes at the service academies. Patton comes to mind. So did many of the other men picked by Fox Connor to lead in the coming WWII.

Macarthur had the highest GPA ever at Westpoint and yet was an atrocious battlefield commander and was surrounded by sycophants.

I have no idea what kind of business you run, but to lump most college graduates into a category of being "clueless when things are new" is ridiculous.

Perry flunked organic chemistry in addition to getting numerous D's and C's. He talks in soundbites and panders to the worst elements of his base. This might get him elected here in Texas, but I don't think it would make him a good president.

I have coached something called Destination Imagination and have taught for years. Most of the best students I have had are either very hard working or very smart. They are quick on the uptake, get ideas quickly and can use imagination.

I am sure there are people who don't go to college who are very, very talented. In fact, I know some of these people. I just find it hard to believe that as a group non-college graduates are so very much better than a college grad.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:24 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,128,309 times
I think Mr. Perrys transcripts are irrelevant. I dont know if this country needs an iconoclast scholar now.

I think we need a bright, creative, imaginative, and flexible leader. A leader who can think on the fly and make adjustments to firestorms and crisis.

I also dont know if we need a leader to dictate from the pulpit. We need sensiblity more than righteousness---- we hope our leaders have faith and suscribe to a high level or morality. I will leave that part of his life to the person and his family.

I pass on Perry-----not feeling him.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:41 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,749,870 times
Quote:
I have no idea what kind of business you run, but to lump most college graduates into a category of being "clueless when things are new" is ridiculous.
Its because they are spoon fed by professors rather than having to start from zero and figure it out themselves. It takes several years to train them to be self directed. Many are not used to setbacks or criticism. And none have any subject matter expertise when they start.

It is deep subject matter expertise developed by years of practice in that area that makes someone employable or productive. Only the individual can develop that and only by deliberately doing it.

Quote:
I have coached something called Destination Imagination and have taught for years. Most of the best students I have had are either very hard working or very smart. They are quick on the uptake, get ideas quickly and can use imagination.
That has little to do with being in college. Hard working and smart are not something you get from being in school. One trait is a habit and the other is intelligence that has been developed.

There is a third component called self-directed study that is the key.

College is not self-directed study.

Quote:
I am sure there are people who don't go to college who are very, very talented. In fact, I know some of these people. I just find it hard to believe that as a group non-college graduates are so very much better than a college grad.
College trains people to be a certain way and most of what is taught there has little relevance to doing a real job.

A person who spends two years getting an A&P license is far ahead of someone who spent 4 years getting a degree in engineering. Better yet is the kid who spent their youth rebuilding cars or programming computers.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:47 PM

419 posts, read 998,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post

Are any of your best people a current or former President of the United States?

Old 08-10-2011, 03:50 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,172,928 times
OK I am not as old as Mr. Perry but not THAT far behind him. IMO A&M back then was not that difficult. It just didn't rank as high in prestige and was not as selective. It was seen as a backwater agricultural school by many people - some of that was fair and some was not. Of course I do have some bias as I was an SMU student in the late 70s / early 80s and they were our hated SWC rivals.

But I have to admit I was a little shocked at his grades.

Last edited by Lakewooder; 08-10-2011 at 04:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: