Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 09:30 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,394,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeh19468 View Post
Before laying all the blame for the direction the country is going in, keep in mind that executive is only 1 branch. Dems have been blaming the Tea Party and the Republicans for the economic turmoil of the last few months due to obstructionism. And they only control the House. The Dems had both houses from 2006 on, and also had the Senate during the first two years of Bush's first term. They are far from blameless for much of what's going on with the economy right now...
But the branches aren't totally separate. Consider the influence that Bush had on the Judicial branch.

And yes, the blame is not all on one side. The Dems are very lame, apologetic, and overly compromising. If there was a third party that was moderate-left vs. the Dems who are moderate-right, I would vote for it. Other than a few Dems, I would love to see the rest of them replaced in their Primary elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 09:41 PM

19,803 posts, read 18,104,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz View Post
But the branches aren't totally separate. Consider the influence that Bush had on the Judicial branch.

And yes, the blame is not all on one side. The Dems are very lame, apologetic, and overly compromising. If there was a third party that was moderate-left vs. the Dems who are moderate-right, I would vote for it. Other than a few Dems, I would love to see the rest of them replaced in their Primary elections.
Democrats are moderate right?

Old 08-11-2011, 09:53 PM
dgz

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Democrats are moderate right?
Yes, with the exception of a few, they are moderate right. The country has been shifting further and further to the right since Reagan. Clinton helped push things to the right as well.

Republicans - far right (except for a few moderates, who are rarely heard)

Democrat - moderately right (except for a few who lean toward the left, who are rarely heard)

And that's pretty much all there is. This dichotomy that there is a right and a left in the US is a false one. If you read widely on politics within several European countries (UK, France, Germany, Spain), you see a much wider range of discussion on policies. You have extremes there, but there is a much broader middle. The discussion here falls moderate to right to far right.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Yes, with the exception of a few, they are moderate right. The country has been shifting further and further to the right since Reagan. Clinton helped push things to the right as well.

Democrat - moderately right (except for a few who lean toward the left, who are rarely heard)

And that's pretty much all there is. This dichotomy that there is a right and a left in the US is a false one. If you read widely on politics within several European countries (UK, France, Germany, Spain), you see a much wider range of discussion on policies. You have extremes there, but there is a much broader middle. The discussion here falls moderate to right to far right.

If you picked 100 random Americans from the street.....how many would claim that that today's democrats are center right? Two or three? Five?

If you honestly believe that your are seriously out of touch.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:14 PM
dgz

Quote:
If you picked 100 random Americans from the street.....how many would claim that that today's democrats are center right? Two or three? Five?

I think that most of them would not claim that because they have not seen the shift to the right. Most people observe changes within very small timeframes. That's why someone can spend a huge amount of time consuming media and yet have no perspective. This is particularly so for someone who is younger who may not have the knowledge or memory of the political dialogue of 15, 20 30 years ago. Consider Dwight Eisenhower's caveats about the 'military industrial complex.' I could not imagine a Republican saying something like that. Additionally, he also signed the bill for the Interstate Highway System and that doesn't something a Republican would support now either.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:25 PM

217 posts, read 382,169 times
That transcript isn't going to hurt him too much considering it was 40 years ago..... what will hurt him is his record in Texas as the Governor by people that understand the issues. I can't see him winning the GOP nomination.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
I think that most of them would not claim that because they have not seen the shift to the right. Most people observe changes within very small timeframes. That's why someone can spend a huge amount of time consuming media and yet have no perspective. This is particularly so for someone who is younger who may not have the knowledge or memory of the political dialogue of 15, 20 30 years ago. Consider Dwight Eisenhower's caveats about the 'military industrial complex.' I could not imagine a Republican saying something like that. Additionally, he also signed the bill for the Interstate Highway System and that doesn't something a Republican would support now either.
I'm almost speechless. I don't know if you are trying to be funny or serious.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:11 AM

104 posts, read 250,794 times
Quote:

This is absolutely true, case and point, the Blue Dog Democrats are the group most responsible for watering down the healthcare bill, they were then referred to as the "Blue Cross" Dems. The system is set up where so much cash is needed to be elected and the corporations are supplying it, and many are taking it. The system makes it almost impossible to be on the left and elected unless you live in Vermont, or certain counties in Northern California.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:31 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:

Compared to Canadian and European leftists, our Democrats are definitely moderate-right.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:33 AM

419 posts, read 998,418 times
Quote:
I'm almost speechless. I don't know if you are trying to be funny or serious.
In comparison to world politics, the Democrats are moderate right. In European, South American, African and Asian countries, the Communist Party still exists in relatively strong numbers. I think it may be you who is out of touch internationally.

Last edited by HOAPRESIDENT; 08-12-2011 at 07:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: