Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 05:59 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,394,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
WELL SPOKEN? If the teleprompter is broken he can't make a full one minute speach The other world leaders consider him a joke.
That would be news to me. I've seen a lot of discussion and reporting to the contrary. And he's much better than Bush. It seemed like every time I heard Bush speak, he sounded ignorant or like the kid who always would show up for class having forgotten his homework and then would try to fake his way through the book report.

I used to vacation occasionally in Asia and Central America during the Bush years and the people who I traveled with were often from Europe, and they could never understand how Bush was elected. A friend from Reykjavik told me: "When he was re-elected, we thought Americans has lost their minds!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 07:19 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,218,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz View Post
That would be news to me. I've seen a lot of discussion and reporting to the contrary. And he's much better than Bush. It seemed like every time I heard Bush speak, he sounded ignorant or like the kid who always would show up for class having forgotten his homework and then would try to fake his way through the book report.

I used to vacation occasionally in Asia and Central America during the Bush years and the people who I traveled with were often from Europe, and they could never understand how Bush was elected. A friend from Reykjavik told me: "When he was re-elected, we thought Americans has lost their minds!"
Sounds like a confirmation that it's a good thing Europeans don't vote for U.S. Presidents. Chalk up one for the Constitution.

And really... it's going a bit far to blame Bush for Obama's eloquence.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:35 PM

827 posts, read 1,673,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Grieves View Post
Clearly your box car doesn't take you to other countries, because no one was considered a bigger joke than w. bush
I guess no one will ever change you mind either on YOUR Messiah. In your koolaid filled mind he is the best thing since sliced bread.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:52 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,395,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Plus, Perry's enough of a man to not have all of his academic records sealed and secret like our fair president's are. We don't even know what classes Obama took, much less what his grades were. If your response to that is "why does it matter", then why does Perry's "C" in Animal Husbandry matter enough to start threads and make headlines?

Perry's grades were released years ago during campaigns or around the time he became governor. This new "leak" isn't new news to Texans; it's just getting publicity because he may run for a higher office.
With all due respect President Obama graduated from Columbia. Was editor of the Harvard Law review. Do you really need to ask what his grades were?

I'd assume his grades at Occidental were good enough to transfer to Columbia, unless there was some really good affirmative action going on. Then to get from Columbia to Harvard after acing the LSAT (which probably doesn't grade on a special curve for Blacks) and getting into Harvard, he convinced the rest of his peers and partly through a writing competition, he was chosen as editor of the law review.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:33 PM

217 posts, read 382,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
I guess no one will ever change you mind either on YOUR Messiah. In your koolaid filled mind he is the best thing since sliced bread.
He is YOUR President !

Burns your ass doesn't it ?

Old 08-14-2011, 08:36 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,395,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Lost View Post
He is YOUR President !

Burns your ass doesn't it ?
He is the country's President. I'm a registered conservative. I have serious issues with the current President's handling of the economy, the war and especially health care. I am no great fan of this administration.

But to assume that Obama had anything less than stellar grades is idiocy. I just so often find criticisms of the president tinged with a disrespect for the office that would have been unthinkable a few years ago and at times tinged with undertones of racism.

Rick Perry, while great for Texas, will not play to a national audience well. Not enough a resume, formal education is lacking and a conceal carry permit doesn't help if you're losing a debate.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:14 AM

217 posts, read 382,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganongrey View Post
He is the country's President. I'm a registered conservative. I have serious issues with the current President's handling of the economy, the war and especially health care. I am no great fan of this administration.

But to assume that Obama had anything less than stellar grades is idiocy. I just so often find criticisms of the president tinged with a disrespect for the office that would have been unthinkable a few years ago and at times tinged with undertones of racism.

Rick Perry, while great for Texas, will not play to a national audience well. Not enough a resume, formal education is lacking and a conceal carry permit doesn't help if you're losing a debate.
I do not understand why people think he has been great for Texas..... the state is a mess. Here are just a few key issues:

- Over 80% of Texas communities live below the federal poverty line
- Texan citizens have the very worst credit of all 50 states
- Texans have one of the worst home ownership rates
- Texans have the most per capita minimum wage jobs
- Texas had a huge 20+ billion dollar deficit just like most big states
- Texas has one of the highest teen birthrates in the country (Only NM and MS are slightly higher)
- Texas has one of the highest property tax rates in the country
- Texas has the highest income inequalities between rich and middle class

I think Perry's strategy is to go easy on Corporations.... low tax rates for them and no-unions, hence Texas is the land of cheap labor.... as the statistics back it up. That coupled with a HUGE Oil & Gas industry that flourishes when pump prices go up.... the unemployment is approxmiately 1% lower than the national average. (8.1 vs 9.1) ..... that is the lone metric that has done well. But, when you are modeling your state after China (Cheap labor, low worker rights).... the people are not going to have credit, hence homes, hence staying above the poverty line and all of the other bad stuff. As a note, the above list is only a partial list. You would be shocked if I showed you everything that Texas is either dead last in or close to last.

With this system, the people suffer.... no money, no homes, no credit and this is the shining state example of what the Right is selling..... I don't get it.

87 percent of Texas communities exceed US poverty rate in new survey | Texas housers

Average Credit Scores

Teen Birthrates: Where Does Your State Rank? - US News and World Report

Texas Used Stimulus to Cover 97% of Its Deficit - Derek Thompson - Business - The Atlantic

PolitiFact Texas | Texas has the highest proportion of workers earning minimum wage or less

Study: Texas Leads U.S. in Income Inequality Between Wealthiest and Middle-Income Families

State Rankings--Statistical Abstract of the United States--Homeownership Rate

Texas Politics - Poverty in Texas - BETA

Old 08-14-2011, 11:36 AM

104 posts, read 250,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Lost View Post
I do not understand why people think he has been great for Texas..... the state is a mess. Here are just a few key issues:

- Over 80% of Texas communities live below the federal poverty line
- Texan citizens have the very worst credit of all 50 states
- Texans have one of the worst home ownership rates
- Texans have the most per capita minimum wage jobs
- Texas had a huge 20+ billion dollar deficit just like most big states
- Texas has one of the highest teen birthrates in the country (Only NM and MS are slightly higher)
- Texas has one of the highest property tax rates in the country
- Texas has the highest income inequalities between rich and middle class

I think Perry's strategy is to go easy on Corporations.... low tax rates for them and no-unions, hence Texas is the land of cheap labor.... as the statistics back it up. That coupled with a HUGE Oil & Gas industry that flourishes when pump prices go up.... the unemployment is approxmiately 1% lower than the national average. (8.1 vs 9.1) ..... that is the lone metric that has done well. But, when you are modeling your state after China (Cheap labor, low worker rights).... the people are not going to have credit, hence homes, hence staying above the poverty line and all of the other bad stuff. As a note, the above list is only a partial list. You would be shocked if I showed you everything that Texas is either dead last in or close to last.

With this system, the people suffer.... no money, no homes, no credit and this is the shining state example of what the Right is selling..... I don't get it.

87 percent of Texas communities exceed US poverty rate in new survey | Texas housers

Average Credit Scores

Teen Birthrates: Where Does Your State Rank? - US News and World Report

Texas Used Stimulus to Cover 97% of Its Deficit - Derek Thompson - Business - The Atlantic

PolitiFact Texas | Texas has the highest proportion of workers earning minimum wage or less

Study: Texas Leads U.S. in Income Inequality Between Wealthiest and Middle-Income Families

State Rankings--Statistical Abstract of the United States--Homeownership Rate

Texas Politics - Poverty in Texas - BETA
I really appreciate your use of facts and Links

Old 08-14-2011, 12:14 PM

662 posts, read 1,451,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganongrey View Post

Although I disagree with you about Obama, I truly respect the way you express your point-of-view. Too often on talk radio and on Fox News it seems like the Republicans don't want to talk about policy but to literally destroy the man and the office with lies, exaggerations and playing to fear and paranoia.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:20 PM

325 posts, read 757,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
Although I disagree with you about Obama, I truly respect the way you express your point-of-view. Too often on talk radio and on Fox News it seems like the Republicans don't want to talk about policy but to literally destroy the man and the office with lies, exaggerations and playing to fear and paranoia.
Much the same way the MSNBC does with the House, and did with the previous administration. The days of Cronkite are long gone in the media when dealing with anyone in Washington, although much of that is due to the evolution of the medium and the 24 hour news cycle as it now exists...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: