Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 11:06 AM

794 posts, read 1,671,135 times

Advertisements

Colleges decicisons are based on reading and maths, writing doesn't play a big part for majority of colleges with exception of top dozen or so.

Last edited by GripeWater; 12-27-2013 at 12:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 11:24 AM

38 posts, read 82,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Most colleges pay no or nearly no attention to SAT writing scores.
I don't believe you are correct. Initially, the new SAT writing score was not widely used. But now, I believe a majority of schools do use it and especially the top schools. As a random check, I googled the UC system, Stanford, Dartmouth, Northwestern and Brown. All use it. If you want to use the ACT instead, all of these require the ACT plus Writing.

Also, the Writing section, a 25 minutes essay plus a large section of multiple choice questions, is the most predictive section for freshman grades (according to the College Board.)

Last edited by LakeDad; 12-27-2013 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: word order

Old 12-27-2013, 12:21 PM

149 posts, read 307,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Most colleges pay no or nearly no attention to SAT writing scores.
If we want to get technical, between community colleges and second-tier state universities, most colleges pay nearly no attention to SAT math & verbal scores in terms of admittance. They're simply looking to see that a minimal threshold has been crossed in terms SAT/ACT and GPA.

Of course, the more selective the school, the more emphasis standardized tests and other criteria come into play as a general rule. I imagine the Ivy League and other elite schools can find room to factor the writing score into their decisions about who gets in.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:57 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,959,819 times
My old school Arlington Martin performing well with little publicity. Only Arlington school on the list.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:56 PM

1,156 posts, read 987,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
My old school Arlington Martin performing well with little publicity. Only Arlington school on the list.
And they beat Plano West in basketball last month. What a game that was.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:00 PM

1,156 posts, read 987,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteo81 View Post
If we want to get technical, between community colleges and second-tier state universities, most colleges pay nearly no attention to SAT math & verbal scores in terms of admittance. They're simply looking to see that a minimal threshold has been crossed in terms SAT/ACT and GPA.

Of course, the more selective the school, the more emphasis standardized tests and other criteria come into play as a general rule. I imagine the Ivy League and other elite schools can find room to factor the writing score into their decisions about who gets in.
I'm sure more and more will factor in the writing score in the future. Wish colleges required some writing or problem-solving test to actually graduate from college. Amazing all the high test scores on GMATs nowadays, and the kids can't find their way out of the parking garage...

Old 12-27-2013, 02:05 PM

149 posts, read 307,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
I'm sure more and more will factor in the writing score in the future. Wish colleges required some writing or problem-solving test to actually graduate from college. Amazing all the high test scores on GMATs nowadays, and the kids can't find their way out of the parking garage...
Elite/Higher tier schools probably will; but most schools honestly are built around taking nearly all-comers, which does a disservice to many who wind up enrolling. It'd be nice if schools & higher-ed would do a better job of getting graduates on the right track rather than just into a college. Vocational education is very underrated in the US.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:36 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,805,365 times
Okay, folks, here's how I got to the TEA source info:

Go to:
TEA - School District Locator
Enter District Name, click on OK
Scroll down list of schools until you reach the list of high schools
Click on the More Info on xxxx HS
Scroll down under AEIS/TAPR Performance Reports
Click on 2012-2013
Scroll down to Page 10 where you'll see Average SAT Score for Class of 2012 - go across to see score under Campus - same for Average ACT Score for Class of 2012 underneath that

For Example:
Garland ISD - Avg SAT Class of 2012 - Avg ACT Class of 2012
Garland HS - 1553 - 23.0
Rowlett HS - 1475 - 22.0
Sachse HS - 1453 - 21.8
Naaman Forest HS - 1425 - 20.7
North Garland HS 1420 - 19.9
South Garland HS 1320 - 17.9
Lakeview Centennial HS 1310 - 18.8

However, I'm guessing the OP may have sourced from a site that's been mentioned before here in this Dallas Forum - where you'll see the info already summarized for ya, see:
Dallas, Texas Area School Information - which also includes the charter/magnets as well. The only issue I have about that site is that the author has chosen to remain mysteriously anonymous.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 12-27-2013 at 06:49 PM..

Old 12-27-2013, 08:53 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,647,929 times
Thanks BestYet2Be!

Random observation - even lily-white Carroll ain't as much anymore: about a quarter of the kids in our local elementary are not (about 18% at the Senior HS).

I wish TEA would go back to publishing annual reports with detailed SAT/ACT score info and percentage of students taking the test like they did up to 2011: Texas Education Agency - College Admissions Testing (SAT and ACT)

As an FYI, I believe all the data in those reports can be downloaded directly into excel (although it takes some finagling with the data once it's in), so if anyone out there wants to run customized reports, they can.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:44 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
Okay, folks, here's how I got to the TEA source info:

Go to:
TEA - School District Locator
Enter District Name, click on OK
Scroll down list of schools until you reach the list of high schools
Click on the More Info on xxxx HS
Scroll down under AEIS/TAPR Performance Reports
Click on 2012-2013
Scroll down to Page 10 where you'll see Average SAT Score for Class of 2012 - go across to see score under Campus - same for Average ACT Score for Class of 2012 underneath that

For Example:
Garland ISD - Avg SAT Class of 2012 - Avg ACT Class of 2012
Garland HS - 1553 - 23.0
Rowlett HS - 1475 - 22.0
Sachse HS - 1453 - 21.8
Naaman Forest HS - 1425 - 20.7
North Garland HS 1420 - 19.9
South Garland HS 1320 - 17.9
Lakeview Centennial HS 1310 - 18.8

However, I'm guessing the OP may have sourced from a site that's been mentioned before here in this Dallas Forum - where you'll see the info already summarized for ya, see:
Dallas, Texas Area School Information - which also includes the charter/magnets as well. The only issue I have about that site is that the author has chosen to remain mysteriously anonymous.

Sorry, guys! Am out of town now and doing more fun things than posting on CD :-)

Yes, got the info from her blog. Sorry I didn't post the link; I usually do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas