Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2014, 12:50 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,299,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
But I'm afraid in a stratified economy that just isn't the case. I'm concerned in the human right sense, but not in the day to day sense. I want there to be opportunities for kids from less affluent backgrounds. But it won't affect my kids SAT scores.

I can look at the data and see the number of students on F/R lunch, the number of white students, the average white SAT score, AP participation rate, etc and make an educated guess about the school environment.
But the overall numbers might not tell the story for your child. For example, at St. Marks, 100% of the minorities are going to college. My son might get in trouble at school, but he is probably not joining a gang at school and deciding to drop out of high school. The minority students (blacks and Mexicans) might have lower SAT scores than Asians and whites, but no one is going to say that they are bad influence on my boy.

However, I went to a local public school that had gangs. My teammate was shot in a drive by. The smartest kids in my class went to Ivy League, but a significant portion did not graduate or did not go to college. Plenty of otherwise good kids were dragged down by the dregs of society that were in my graduating class. There was no expectation that all kids go to college and be successful. In fact, the average expectation was for a kid to graduate and join the military, go work at jiffy lube, etc.

My point is that you can't just look at the numbers and say that your kid will be ok because he or she is white. You want to know what kind of other students are in the student body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 12:50 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,464,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
But I'm afraid in a stratified economy that just isn't the case. I'm concerned in the human right sense, but not in the day to day sense. I want there to be opportunities for kids from less affluent backgrounds. But it won't affect my kids SAT scores.
Environments and peers play a huge role in that sense. Along with other factors, but saying that it won't effect a child's score is a pretty naive statement. There's are reason school like Highland Park do so well academically and athletically. It's the environment and the sense instilled in the kids that they WILL succeed, they always have. It's the competitive spirit in the human race that makes us better and better, thus if a kid is around peers that are doing well in class and sport, they too will strive to do just as well if not better.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:15 PM

743 posts, read 1,321,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
Environments and peers play a huge role in that sense. Along with other factors, but saying that it won't effect a child's score is a pretty naive statement. There's are reason school like Highland Park do so well academically and athletically. It's the environment and the sense instilled in the kids that they WILL succeed, they always have. It's the competitive spirit in the human race that makes us better and better, thus if a kid is around peers that are doing well in class and sport, they too will strive to do just as well if not better.
I guess it's also worthy of discussion who "peers" are. When I was at Bryan Adams the 'apartment kids' and immigrants were not my peers in any sense of the word. My peers were the other middle and upper middle class students who wanted to take AP Calculus and try their hand at extracurricular activities (with the occasional striver who was welcomed with open arms). The other kids might as well have been at a different campus (in many senses they were, classes were grouped such that there was little chance for even hallway interaction).

At HP almost everyone is in that bracket, at BA it was probably 20% of us. But looking at Facebook, the two groups are doing verrry similarly 10 years later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
But the overall numbers might not tell the story for your child. For example, at St. Marks, 100% of the minorities are going to college. My son might get in trouble at school, but he is probably not joining a gang at school and deciding to drop out of high school. The minority students (blacks and Mexicans) might have lower SAT scores than Asians and whites, but no one is going to say that they are bad influence on my boy.

However, I went to a local public school that had gangs. My teammate was shot in a drive by. The smartest kids in my class went to Ivy League, but a significant portion did not graduate or did not go to college. Plenty of otherwise good kids were dragged down by the dregs of society that were in my graduating class. There was no expectation that all kids go to college and be successful. In fact, the average expectation was for a kid to graduate and join the military, go work at jiffy lube, etc.

My point is that you can't just look at the numbers and say that your kid will be ok because he or she is white. You want to know what kind of other students are in the student body.
Sounds like we have had similar life experiences. I certainly understand hesitation if a student is not a top or near top performer. But I'm not sure if it's possible to isolate the external factors enough to ensure their success. I still wouldn't fault someone for moving to Allen, though, if their child is a C+ student; it is a safe choice.

That said, I grew up in an environment were drugs and other illicit activities were for failures, kids with no future. It is a good motivation to stay on track. The kids I know from elite backgrounds (Dalton, Sidwell Friends) don't know about failure. They see drugs use (and I mean hard drug use) as part of life. You can't isolate yourself from everything...

Old 01-14-2014, 02:10 PM

617 posts, read 1,042,382 times
Thanks! I can no longer edit my last post, but I am correcting this list to reflect that, as noted by Considering Coming Back, Collegiate in Cedar Hill is a charter. (It is listed as a "normal" school in the blog source below.) The list is corrected to leave off Collegiate, and add the #5 school for each group.

Garland, Lovejoy, Keller, Paschal... each of these is a "Top Five" school for some group or other by this standard.

Dallas, Texas Area School Information: 2012 SAT Scores Ranked by Demographic Group in Dallas-Fort Worth Area High Schools

Top five non-magnet, non-charter schools for SAT scores of each demographic subgroup:

Top Asian scores: Southlake Carroll, Plano West, Plano Senior, Coppell, Garland

Top white scores: HP, Fort Worth Paschal, Garland, Southlake Carroll, Plano West

Top Hispanic scores: Southlake Carroll, HP, Coppell, Lovejoy, Grapevine

Top African-American scores: Flower Mound, Keller, Carroll, Frisco Centennial, Plano West

Old 01-14-2014, 03:10 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,647,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Benjamin View Post
Thanks! I can no longer edit my last post, but I am correcting this list to reflect that, as noted by Considering Coming Back, Collegiate in Cedar Hill is a charter. (It is listed as a "normal" school in the blog source below.) The list is corrected to leave off Collegiate, and add the #5 school for each group.

Garland, Lovejoy, Keller, Paschal... each of these is a "Top Five" school for some group or other by this standard.

Dallas, Texas Area School Information: 2012 SAT Scores Ranked by Demographic Group in Dallas-Fort Worth Area High Schools

Top five non-magnet, non-charter schools for SAT scores of each demographic subgroup:

Top Asian scores: Southlake Carroll, Plano West, Plano Senior, Coppell, Garland

Top white scores: HP, Fort Worth Paschal, Garland, Southlake Carroll, Plano West

Top Hispanic scores: Southlake Carroll, HP, Coppell, Lovejoy, Grapevine

Top African-American scores: Flower Mound, Keller, Carroll, Frisco Centennial, Plano West
Just having some fun with this in a totally non-scientific way, if I give each school 5 points for being first in a category, 4 for 2d, etc., then the total points by campus are:

1 Southlake Carroll 15 2 Highland Park 9 3 Plano West 6 4t Coppell 5 4t Flower Mound 5 6t Garland 4 6t Paschal 4 6t Keller 4 9 Plano Senior 3 10t Lovejoy 2 10t Centennial 2 12 Grapevine 1
Carroll is also the only school in the top 5 with all 4 groups. Coolio. I know demographics play a huge role and all, and their NMSF numbers remain a bit disappointing given the other metrics, but it's still nice to see.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:10 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,464,784 times
Yea, HP doesn't have many...if any Asians or African Americans. I know when I graduated we had 0 Asians and 1 African American in my graduating class. I know it's become a little more diverse, but not much.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:51 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
Yea, HP doesn't have many...if any Asians or African Americans. I know when I graduated we had 0 Asians and 1 African American in my graduating class. I know it's become a little more diverse, but not much.
You had no Asians in your senior class? That's odd. We had 5 or 6 and I think I graduated a few years before you. I can think of at least a few in the classes on either side of mine.

The district is actually about 8% diverse now so in a senior class of 500, there are 40 students of color vs the <10 students per class from our eras. That is a pretty big change in 10-15ish years.Still barely any black students so no surprise HP didn't show up on that part of the list.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:45 PM

307 posts, read 477,221 times
In my kids elementary school classes at Armstrong there are definitely some Asians. I don't see any hispanics or blacks, though, I mean maybe one or two. But very few.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:46 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,299,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jake Oil View Post
In my kids elementary school classes at Armstrong there are definitely some Asians. I don't see any hispanics or blacks, though, I mean maybe one or two. But very few.
Said it once, and I will say it again. If you want to know the diversity at HP go visit Mustang Donuts. They have every club poster on the wall. You will find a little diversity in the academic clubs and music clubs, but the rest of the school looks pretty lily white.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:56 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,647,929 times
As I've noted, Southlake has the rep of being lily-white, but IIRC Carroll Senior is currently ~18% non-white, and kidlet's elementary is 26% non-white. Not exactly a huge melting pot but more diverse than the stereotype.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas