Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 07:15 AM

307 posts, read 477,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
Said it once, and I will say it again. If you want to know the diversity at HP go visit Mustang Donuts. They have every club poster on the wall. You will find a little diversity in the academic clubs and music clubs, but the rest of the school looks pretty lily white.
Those posters are up in a lot of the shops, I know. I think the high school is still like that, but the elementary schools are more diverse (with asians, anyway) as more young families move in.

I dunno, all I can report is what I see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 11:35 AM

692 posts, read 856,106 times
I love Irving, but our school system is a travesty unless you can afford to live in money-town. It wouldn't surprise me if Irving ISD was responsible for 5% of Coppell's housing value, we're so bad.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:08 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,465,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
You had no Asians in your senior class? That's odd. We had 5 or 6 and I think I graduated a few years before you. I can think of at least a few in the classes on either side of mine.

The district is actually about 8% diverse now so in a senior class of 500, there are 40 students of color vs the <10 students per class from our eras. That is a pretty big change in 10-15ish years.Still barely any black students so no surprise HP didn't show up on that part of the list.
Actually we did have one now that I think a little more about it. We also had one Hispanic.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:26 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,764,496 times
According to the link below, HPHS had 6 students with National Hispanic Scholar honors

39 students named National Merit Commended Students & 6 students earn National Hispanic Scholar honors

Old 01-16-2014, 12:45 PM

788 posts, read 1,224,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jake Oil View Post
In my kids elementary school classes at Armstrong there are definitely some Asians. I don't see any hispanics or blacks, though, I mean maybe one or two. But very few.
That's because Armstrong is the most diverse of all the HPISD elementary schools. The percentage of white students there is in the 80's, whereas all the other HP schools are more like 90-92% white.

We bought an investment condo in Armstrong boundaries, and I've seen first-hand there are numerous Asian families living there. These are 1 & 2 bedroom condos and there are at least 2 kids + parents living in a couple of the units (less than 1000 sq. ft of living space).

I feel like Armstrong draws from the super affluent area & also has some of the (by Park Cities standards) "ghetto" apartments & condos.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:18 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,465,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMC_TX View Post
That's because Armstrong is the most diverse of all the HPISD elementary schools. The percentage of white students there is in the 80's, whereas all the other HP schools are more like 90-92% white.

We bought an investment condo in Armstrong boundaries, and I've seen first-hand there are numerous Asian families living there. These are 1 & 2 bedroom condos and there are at least 2 kids + parents living in a couple of the units (less than 1000 sq. ft of living space).

I feel like Armstrong draws from the super affluent area & also has some of the (by Park Cities standards) "ghetto" apartments & condos.
Agreed, although Bradfield may be considered a little more affluent. I remember recently looking at the elementary district lines and was surprised to see how far it reaches into UP now.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:14 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,309,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMC_TX View Post

There has been at least one HP valedictorian in the recent past who lived in those apartments feeding to Armstrong. If I remember correctly, she immigrated from Vietman around 5th grade and didn't know any English before she got to the states. Truly an example of a family sacrificing space and comfort in order to provide the best educational opportunities for their children. I am always a little irritated when people say they can't afford HPISD. If education is the #1 priority (and maybe comfort is, even though they say it's education), there is a way for 99% of families to live there.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:19 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,023,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Benjamin View Post
Thanks! I can no longer edit my last post, but I am correcting this list to reflect that, as noted by Considering Coming Back, Collegiate in Cedar Hill is a charter. (It is listed as a "normal" school in the blog source below.) The list is corrected to leave off Collegiate, and add the #5 school for each group.

Garland, Lovejoy, Keller, Paschal... each of these is a "Top Five" school for some group or other by this standard.

Dallas, Texas Area School Information: 2012 SAT Scores Ranked by Demographic Group in Dallas-Fort Worth Area High Schools

Top five non-magnet, non-charter schools for SAT scores of each demographic subgroup:

Top Asian scores: Southlake Carroll, Plano West, Plano Senior, Coppell, Garland

Top white scores: HP, Fort Worth Paschal, Garland, Southlake Carroll, Plano West

Top Hispanic scores: Southlake Carroll, HP, Coppell, Lovejoy, Grapevine

Top African-American scores: Flower Mound, Keller, Carroll, Frisco Centennial, Plano West
I am really curious about Coppell white scores not making into top 5 list. Coppell is still majority white population. Further improvement in their scores should move them very close to Carroll and Plano. Big props to Carroll for being in top 5 for all subgroups.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:46 AM

58 posts, read 65,388 times
The next 5 white scores were Pearce, Flower Mound, Coppell, Plano Sr, and Lake Highlands - found that interesting too to see where those top 10 white scores landed in the overall rankings.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:15 AM

4 posts, read 5,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
If education is the #1 priority (and maybe comfort is, even though they say it's education), there is a way for 99% of families to live there.

Popularity of new suburbs with barely mediocre schools is a testimony that education vs media room & stainless steel appliances is an easy decision for most. Just like government spending is more important then public school funding for government. Our lowering high school ranking in world is testimony that Americans need to give education some value or all these luxuries will be a thing of past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas