Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2014, 10:24 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,299,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripeWater View Post
Lakewooder, Lakedad, Lakewood Parent ... Lakewood has taken over CD.
True- but I am enjoying the heck out of it. First, I think that TC80 did an almost 180 degree turn after reviewing the numbers. Second, I love people that are passionate about their schools. Third, Lakewood is in the heart of the city and pretty interesting place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 10:43 AM

617 posts, read 1,042,382 times
New post!!

Dallas, Texas Area School Information: 2012 SAT Scores Ranked by Demographic Group in Dallas-Fort Worth Area High Schools

Scores broken down by ethnicity.

If you leave out the magnets and charters, the top scores for each subgroup are achieved at very different schools.

Top Asian scores: Southlake Carroll, Plano West, Plano Senior, Coppell

Top white scores: HP, Cedar Hill Collegiate, Fort Worth Paschal, Garland

Top Hispanic scores: Southlake Carroll, HP, Cedar Hill Collegiate, Coppell

Top African-American scores: Flower Mound, Keller, Carroll, Frisco Centennial

Only the Asian list is entirely "usual suspects." I wonder if that implies that high Asian scores have a disproportionate effect on the overall rankings.

I also wonder if, for any given parent, it makes sense to consider the scores for "your" subgroup. I'm a white parent, but how much should I be concerned with HP and Cedar Hill doing well for "my people" (whites)? Feels perhaps a bit strange to take that into account.

Much like the Texas system as a whole, Cedar Hill Collegiate does quite well subgroup by subgroup, but gets "penalized" on the overall ranking for its overall demographic mix.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:51 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,172,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripeWater View Post
Lakewooder, Lakedad, Lakewood Parent ... Lakewood has taken over CD.
Gripe Water you must know by now that Lakewood is the center of the Universe! :O

LakeDad my point is that there are more whites than in the past - if you look at it by each grade the numbers are much higher coming in vs. the enrollment of a few years ago. I'm not going to quote absolute statistics because you obviously have a passion for that and I don't have time to delve into it with the same zeal - however, I think you will see that Long and Woodrow each have around 100 more whites than just two or three years ago. That is significant. If you have the time, maybe you can find other "majority-minority" schools where that has happened. Personally, I don't know of any. There used to be a theory that if a school passed 60% in minority population that it would soon be all minority.

I took a junior-level statistics course when I was at SMU but I appreciate the needling remarks about consulting with Mr. Irby (a well-respected math teacher at Woodrow).

Here are some columns he has written:

Robert Irby: We need better students | Dallas Morning News

Robert Irby: Anti-testing politics threaten actual learning | Dallas Morning News

Robert Irby: In defense of the TPM | Dallas Morning News

Robert Irby: Teachers aren

I think most people would agree he is a competent teacher. We have many of them, and some exciting new blood from Teach For America. Woodrow is a quasi-headquarters for TFA in Dallas. Also we have an up-and-coming engineering section in our STEM academy, with several interesting courses. Woodrow Wilson High School :: Science, Technology, Engineering and Math Academy

As far as your accusation that I am misleading people when I said "we have a critical mass of students taking AP and IB who go on to great colleges" - it is you who then you who set the bar at top 25 colleges. I think a college can be "great" without being one of those.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:37 PM

256 posts, read 448,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I think most people would agree he is a competent teacher. We have many of them, and some exciting new blood from Teach For America. Woodrow is a quasi-headquarters for TFA in Dallas.
Teach for America's mission is to send recent young graduates into low-income urban and rural areas that have traditionally had difficulty attracting and retaining quality teachers. They commit for two years, akin to a teaching "Peace Corps." Many if not most leave the classroom after their stint is up.

It is a highly controversial program, and I am surprised that Woodrow boosters would in one breath be talking up TFA and in the other breath talking about affluent white families are flocking to the school. Plano and HP and Southlake do not use Teach for America teachers. Affluent white families do not want their children's high school teachers to be 24-year-olds who have every intention of leaving for law school in two years.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:41 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona72 View Post
Teach for America's mission is to send recent young graduates into low-income urban and rural areas that have traditionally had difficulty attracting and retaining quality teachers. They commit for two years, akin to a teaching "Peace Corps." Many if not most leave the classroom after their stint is up.

It is a highly controversial program, and I am surprised that Woodrow boosters would in one breath be talking up TFA and in the other breath talking about affluent white families are flocking to the school. Plano and HP and Southlake do not use Teach for America teachers. Affluent white families do not want their children's high school teachers to be 24-year-olds who have every intention of leaving for law school in two years.
All good points and raises questions as to why TFA is "quasi-HQ'd" at Woodrow, given TFA's mission.

As an aside, TFA has a big personal connection to Dallas; Wendy Kopp (Highland Park HS '85) founded Teach For America as part of her undergraduate thesis at Princeton.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:34 PM

447 posts, read 322,164 times
O MY Mansfield is 39!

Old 01-14-2014, 10:08 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,172,928 times
I don't know how many TFA teachers we have - I would guess three or four. I will ask. The ones I have met have been very enthusiastic and professional. I think that they are are shot in the arm for some of the students who need them. At first I was also a bit wary of them, as I support veteran teachers.

I personally know a TFA teacher who is working at TJ after graduating from UVA.

When I said "quasi-headquarters" I mean that they hold many meetings and training sessions there.

Here is some information quoting new-ish Woodrow Principal Kyle Richardson: The Brief and Wondrous Lives of Teach for America Teachers in DISD

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfa...principals.php

TFA's Miguel Solis worked for Mr. Richardson at Marsh Middle School, earned his masters at Harvard and has just been elected to the school board representing part of our attendance zone. I'd say that has worked very well for us.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:48 AM

743 posts, read 1,321,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Benjamin View Post
New post!!

Dallas, Texas Area School Information: 2012 SAT Scores Ranked by Demographic Group in Dallas-Fort Worth Area High Schools

Scores broken down by ethnicity.

If you leave out the magnets and charters, the top scores for each subgroup are achieved at very different schools.

Top Asian scores: Southlake Carroll, Plano West, Plano Senior, Coppell

Top white scores: HP, Cedar Hill Collegiate, Fort Worth Paschal, Garland

Top Hispanic scores: Southlake Carroll, HP, Cedar Hill Collegiate, Coppell

Top African-American scores: Flower Mound, Keller, Carroll, Frisco Centennial

Only the Asian list is entirely "usual suspects." I wonder if that implies that high Asian scores have a disproportionate effect on the overall rankings.

I also wonder if, for any given parent, it makes sense to consider the scores for "your" subgroup. I'm a white parent, but how much should I be concerned with HP and Cedar Hill doing well for "my people" (whites)? Feels perhaps a bit strange to take that into account.

Much like the Texas system as a whole, Cedar Hill Collegiate does quite well subgroup by subgroup, but gets "penalized" on the overall ranking for its overall demographic mix.
Thank you for the link! (A quibble with your break out. Cedar Hill Collegiate is a charter school.)

I actually do think you should only be concerned with your demographic subcategory. For example, it's great that mixed students at Rockwall score 1822, but why do whites only score 1581? How does that affect the campus overall score? What does it mean for your student?

I believe the SAT asks the students to self report HHI. It sure would be interesting to have that data at the campus level too!

Old 01-14-2014, 11:57 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,299,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
Thank you for the link! (A quibble with your break out. Cedar Hill Collegiate is a charter school.)

I actually do think you should only be concerned with your demographic subcategory. For example, it's great that mixed students at Rockwall score 1822, but why do whites only score 1581? How does that affect the campus overall score? What does it mean for your student?

I believe the SAT asks the students to self report HHI. It sure would be interesting to have that data at the campus level too!
I think you would also be concerned with your son's peers.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:13 PM

743 posts, read 1,321,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
I think you would also be concerned with your son's peers.
But I'm afraid in a stratified economy that just isn't the case. I'm concerned in the human right sense, but not in the day to day sense. I want there to be opportunities for kids from less affluent backgrounds. But it won't affect my kids SAT scores.

I can look at the data and see the number of students on F/R lunch, the number of white students, the average white SAT score, AP participation rate, etc and make an educated guess about the school environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas