Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 09:40 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,890,363 times

Advertisements

Lantana is one HOA that dictates what color of window coverings one may have. From their guidelines available online:

9. Windows

Windows shall be of clear glass or a tinted glass of bronze, gray, green or smoke color. The use of reflective glass or reflective tinting is prohibited. To ensure the continuity of the view corridors, all window coverings facing public open-space, streets, amenities or the golf course shall be white, light beige or natural wood tones. White curtain lining is acceptable. The use of colored solar panels is allowed subject to ARC approval.

ARC approval is required for exterior shutters. Shutters shall be of a material similar to and of a color and design generally accepted as complementary to the exterior of the house.
B

Some more info from there:

6. Play Structures

Play structures shall be located in the rear yard and set back a minimum of five (5) feet from property lines. Play structures shall be predominately muted, earth tone colors and shall not exceed twelve (12) feet in height. Play structures must be made of wood. No metal play structures are allowed. Canopy must be forest green canvas or wood to match the play structure. Playhouses larger than 30 sq. ft. of enclosed space shall be considered an accessory structure (see above). Playhouses and play structures are prohibited within thirty (30) feet of Golf Course boundaries. Play structures or any non-permanent structure are not allowed in "MERIDIAN" on Golf Course, amenity, or open space lots. This includes, but is not limited to play structures, trampolines, jungle gyms, etc.

7. Putting Greens

Owners may, with prior written approval of plans from the ARC, install non-synthetic putting greens in the rear yard. Synthetic putting greens are not permitted.

So my friends new putting green in his multi million dollar house would not be allowed. LOL!!! It looks better than most yards and is up against the back of the house and no one can see it. They had a terrible time of keeping anything alive in that spot so he went with a putting green. Looks good to me.

2. Plant Material

Plant materials approved for use within Lantana are listed in Appendix C. Use of plants not on the approved list must be approved by the ARC prior to installation.

Landscaping should consist of a combination of sodded turf areas and shrub and groundcover bed areas. Front yard and rear yard landscaped areas shall be 100% sod where there are no beds. Shrub and groundcover bed area shall contribute no less than 15% nor more than 50% of the total front yard area. Tree requirements are addressed in Table B-1.

Large expanses of mulch or bed areas without substantial shrub or groundcover plantings are unacceptable. Stone or gravel mulch with harsh, unnatural or high contrast colors are prohibited.

TURF - (N) denotes native plants, well-suited to the area.

BERMUDA GRASS, COMMON

Cynodon dactylon

BUFFALOGRASS (N)

Buchloe dactyloides

FESCUE, TALL

Festuca arundinacea

ZOYSIA GRASS

Zoysia japonica `Meyer'

Well, I'd be in violation of this one. We had to replace our Bermuda w/ St. Augustine as we have too much shade for Bermuda. Pathetic. Then again, I have more than the "required" 1 tree and 2 trees. LOL!

NO GERBER DAISES!!! I love those and they look so good.

C-1

Replacement mailboxes must be ordered from Streetscape, Inc. at (714) 898-4842.

Model/Part No. SI-212S

Description: Classic Mailbox and Pole-Single with flag kits Finish: HBB/PAP/PAP (pole/box/trim)

Wonder what neighbor owns this company. LOL!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 09:47 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,502,256 times
<<NO GERBER DAISES!!! I love those and they look so good.>>

That list gives me a headache. Do they specifically name Gerber Daisies as a flower they can't plant?
Does Lantana allow lantana? LOL. Those take up quite a bit of bedding space, maybe too much for what is allotted!

Old 10-20-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
<<NO GERBER DAISES!!! I love those and they look so good.>>

That list gives me a headache. Do they specifically name Gerber Daisies as a flower they can't plant?
Does Lantana allow lantana? LOL. Those take up quite a bit of bedding space, maybe too much for what is allotted!
LOL!!! At the Lantana's. I plant them as they take up a lot of space and come back every year. I have more flower beds than one would be allowed to I'm guessing in Lantana. My yard is NOT overgrown and is very much "in check" and professionally done. Yet it would not be allowed in Lantana. LOL!!!

Here is the list of flowers that ARE allowed:
ANNUALS, PERENNIALS, BULBS -
(N) denotes native plants, well-suited to the area.

AGERATUM
Ageratum houstonianum

ALYSSUM
Lobularia maritime

ANEMONE species
Anemone spp.

ARTEMISIA species

ASTER
Aster frikartil

BEGONIA species
Begonia spp.

BLACKEYED SUSAN
Rudbeckia hirta

BLUEBONNET (N)
Lupinus texensis

CALADIUM
Caladium x hortulanum

CANDLETREE
Cassia alata

CANDYTUFT
Iberis sempervirens

CANNA

Canna generalis

CHRYSANTHEMUM
Chrysanthemum spp.

COLUMBINE (N)
Aguilegia spp.

CONEFLOWER, PURPLE (N)
Echinacea angustifolia

COLEUS
Coleus hybridus

COREOPSIS species
Coreopsis spp.

COSMOS
Cosmos suphureus

CROTON
Codiaeum variegatum

DAFFODIL
Narcissus spp.

DIANTHUS species
Dianthus spp.

DAISY, BLACKFOOT (N)
Melampodium leucanthum

DUSTY MILLER
Artemisia ludoviciana

DAYLILY species
Hemerocallis spp.

EVOLVULUS
Evolvulus glomeratus

GAURA
Gaura lindheimeri

GAYFEATHER (N)
Liatris spp.

GAZANIA
Gazania hybrids

GERANIUM
Pelargonium hortorum

GOMPHRENA species

FERN, HOLLY
Fraxinus texensis

FERN, WOOD (N)
Dryopteris normalis

HELLEBORUS species
Helleborus spp.

HOSTA species
Hosta spp.

HIBISCUS
Hibiscus moscheutos

HYACINTH species
Hyacinth spp.

JAPANESE BLOOD GRASS
Imperata cylindrical 'Ruba'

IMPATIENS
Impatiens spp.

IRIS species
Iris spp.

LAMB'S EAR
Stachys byzantina

LAVENDER

LANTANA species (N)
Lantana spp.

LISIANTHUS (N)
Eustoma grandiflorum

LYTHRUM
Lyhrum salicaria

MARIGOLD
Tagetes spp.

MEXICAN HEATHER
Hyssopifolia spp.

NIEREMBERGIA species
Nierembergia spp.

OXALIS species
Oxalis spp.

PANSY
Viola hybrids

PENNISETUM species
Pennisetum species

PENTA
Pentas lanceolata

PERIWINKLE
Catharanthus roseus

PETUNIA
Petunia x hybrida

PHLOX species
Phlox spp.

PLUMBAGO
Plumbago spp.

POPPY
Papaver spp.

PURSLANE

PRIMULA species
Primula spp.

RAIN LILLY
Cooperia Pedunculata

ROSE species
Rosa spp.

ROSEMARY
Rosmarinus officinalis

RANUNCULUS
Ranunculus asiaticus

RUELLIS

RUSSIAN SAGE
Perovskia `Blue Sage'

SALVIA species
Salvia spp.

SANTOLINA
Santolina chamaecyparissus

SEDUM `AUTUMN JOY'
Sedum var.

SNAPDRAGON
Antirrhinum spp.

THRIFT
Phlox subulata

TULIP species
Tulip spp.

VERBENA species
Verbena spp.

VERONICA species
Veronica spp.

VIOLA

YARROW
Achillea spp.

ZINNIA species
Zinnia spp.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:10 AM

6,823 posts, read 14,039,451 times
I can see the good and the bad of a HOA. Reasonable people can run a very nice HOA when common sense is used. The problem is when morons takeover the HOA and start with the zero tolerance policies. Telling me my yard must be nice at all times is fine with me. Telling me what kind of tree and plant material I must use is something I can't get on board with. I do not live in a HOA at this time and for the most part I am happy I don't have to deal with them. There has been some occasions that I wish we had one but the good far outweighs the bad in my opinion. Just knowing someone can take my home because of a rule violation is reason enough for me to steer clear of them. I think most people are reasonable thinkers but there are to many morons in the world for me to take a chance on a HOA.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:10 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,502,256 times
Hmmm. They allow Cosmos, and I can tell you that after these rains we've had, my cosmos are completely out of control and wild looking. Not manicured in the least!

Old 10-20-2009, 10:26 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,016,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Lantana is one HOA that dictates what color of window coverings one may have. From their guidelines available online:

9. Windows

Windows shall be of clear glass or a tinted glass of bronze, gray, green or smoke color. The use of reflective glass or reflective tinting is prohibited. To ensure the continuity of the view corridors, all window coverings facing public open-space, streets, amenities or the golf course shall be white, light beige or natural wood tones. White curtain lining is acceptable. The use of colored solar panels is allowed subject to ARC approval.

ARC approval is required for exterior shutters. Shutters shall be of a material similar to and of a color and design generally accepted as complementary to the exterior of the house.
B

6. Play Structures

Play structures shall be located in the rear yard and set back a minimum of five (5) feet from property lines. Play structures shall be predominately muted, earth tone colors and shall not exceed twelve (12) feet in height. Play structures must be made of wood. No metal play structures are allowed. Canopy must be forest green canvas or wood to match the play structure. Playhouses larger than 30 sq. ft. of enclosed space shall be considered an accessory structure (see above). Playhouses and play structures are prohibited within thirty (30) feet of Golf Course boundaries. Play structures or any non-permanent structure are not allowed in "MERIDIAN" on Golf Course, amenity, or open space lots. This includes, but is not limited to play structures, trampolines, jungle gyms, etc.

7. Putting Greens

Owners may, with prior written approval of plans from the ARC, install non-synthetic putting greens in the rear yard. Synthetic putting greens are not permitted.

So my friends new putting green in his multi million dollar house would not be allowed. LOL!!! It looks better than most yards and is up against the back of the house and no one can see it. They had a terrible time of keeping anything alive in that spot so he went with a putting green. Looks good to me.

2. Plant Material

Plant materials approved for use within Lantana are listed in Appendix C. Use of plants not on the approved list must be approved by the ARC prior to installation.

Landscaping should consist of a combination of sodded turf areas and shrub and groundcover bed areas. Front yard and rear yard landscaped areas shall be 100% sod where there are no beds. Shrub and groundcover bed area shall contribute no less than 15% nor more than 50% of the total front yard area. Tree requirements are addressed in Table B-1.

Large expanses of mulch or bed areas without substantial shrub or groundcover plantings are unacceptable. Stone or gravel mulch with harsh, unnatural or high contrast colors are prohibited.

BERMUDA GRASS, COMMON

Cynodon dactylon

BUFFALOGRASS (N)

Buchloe dactyloides

FESCUE, TALL

Festuca arundinacea

ZOYSIA GRASS

Zoysia japonica `Meyer'

Well, I'd be in violation of this one. We had to replace our Bermuda w/ St. Augustine as we have too much shade for Bermuda. Pathetic. Then again, I have more than the "required" 1 tree and 2 trees. LOL!

C-1

Model/Part No. SI-212S

Description: Classic Mailbox and Pole-Single with flag kits Finish: HBB/PAP/PAP (pole/box/trim)

Sounds resonable

Old 10-20-2009, 05:12 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,891,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
Considering the line of work I am in, I can usually tell as soon as I drive through a neighborhood if there is an HOA or not.
The disabled cars in the front, the overgrown yards and falling fences and peeling paint from homes.
My neighborhood in Grapevine has no HOA, and we have NONE of those things!! I guess if you are looking in a neighborhood with older, lower-value homes, then you would be more likely to see those things.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:17 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,891,424 times
Quote:
Here is the list of flowers that ARE allowed:
See,? I wouldn't be compliant in your HOA!

I have quite a few Yaupon Holly bushes in my landscaping. I love these because they are a native plant, and therefore require very little water and maintenance. I also have gorgeous Azalea bushes, which I love and manicure. Although they aren't native, I do love the flowers!

Old 10-20-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
See,? I wouldn't be compliant in your HOA!

I have quite a few Yaupon Holly bushes in my landscaping. I love these because they are a native plant, and therefore require very little water and maintenance. I also have gorgeous Azalea bushes, which I love and manicure. Although they aren't native, I do love the flowers!
OH, no, not MY neighborhood. My HOA does NOT give out a list of approved planting material. There are several that do but not mine. For an HOA in this area to not even have St. Augustine as an "approved" lawn grass is absurd. Then again, I guess those new cookie cutter subdivisions out on the prarie don't have the issues of too much shade like I do.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:14 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:

9. Windows

B

6. Play Structures

7. Putting Greens

2. Plant Material

BERMUDA GRASS, COMMON

Cynodon dactylon

BUFFALOGRASS (N)

Buchloe dactyloides

FESCUE, TALL

Festuca arundinacea

ZOYSIA GRASS

Zoysia japonica `Meyer'

C-1

Model/Part No. SI-212S

These rules make my brain hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas