Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 03:12 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,749,981 times

Advertisements

Yes they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 05:12 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,016,198 times
Here is an article I ran across, Real Estate Blog - IS AN HOA JUST A PAIN ?-

I didn't know HOA could stop you from running an internet business from your home. That seems a bit extreme and I doubt if that really happens.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:19 PM

6,823 posts, read 14,039,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post

I didn't know HOA could stop you from running an internet business from your home. That seems a bit extreme and I doubt if that really happens.

It certainly would happen if you have to deal with a hardcore HOA. There was a story in which a family had to move out of there neighborhood because they took in wheelbound child via foster care. Seems the HOA had a rule that said guest were only allowed to stay 7 days. This is not the actions of a typical HOA but they do have some out there like this. Do a google search for "HOA's from hell" if you want some real laughs. Most cities love HOA's because that is maintenance work they do not have to do. I understand the view that to live in the far northern burbs a HOA
is mandatory. I would be pretty hard to avoid them in Allen & Frisco.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:31 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:

That and worse happens.

Homeowner horror stories: Associations are heaven or hell

Stonegate Villas owners say new rules unneighborly » Ventura County Star

10_Things_a_Homeowners_Association_Won't_Tell_You: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

A real HOA Horror Story - Eagles Reserve HOA

Web dispute rages in Sarasota | HeraldTribune.com | Sarasota Florida | Southwest Florida's Information Leader

etc...

Old 10-25-2009, 08:23 PM

424 posts, read 1,817,496 times
If you do not live in an HOA neighborhood (a few exceptions), you may end up dealing with the neighbor next to you that decides pink is a nice exterior color and that rusty car from 1950 needing restoration absolutely needs to be parked partially on your nieghbor's yard. Take parts of Farmer's branch and older areas of Carrollton and Irving.

There is an area I know of in Coppell without a HOA that has impeccible looking yards and houses. Worth noting the average income of that area of homeowners is probably well over 120K a year. They pay a lot of money to live in Coppell and choose to keep their properties up. They don't need an HOA and my guess is they used to have one, but found they didn't need it and after 20 years, just said, "Forget it".

With that said, some HOA are like living in a camp occupied by dictators and idiots!

Old 10-26-2009, 06:32 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,597,786 times
Quote:

Most HOA's are bad. I know you don't like sheds and lawn ornaments, so you like them. But I ask you, what if someone didn't like something you did and they made it against HOA bylaws? They simply need to vote it in - and your likes are out. It's insane.

Since sheds are "redneck", what would you consider a child's playhouse? Is that redneck? Should they be not allowed by an HOA?

We have a shed that came with the house. While I think it's ugly, I'm glad that an HOA is not on my case, because it does serve a purpose. In fact, we're working on a plan for the backyard - we're going to replace the "ugly" shed with a "pretty" shed. Does that make a shed acceptable? Here's a picture of one that we're using as a model:

French Country Style luxury custom playhouse photo

Should an HOA determine which vehicles are allowed in a subdivision? Should they determine whether you can park them in a public street, private driveway or in your garage? I say no. What amazes me is that some HOAs think they can regulate what you put on the public street. If someone tows my vehicle that's parked on a city owned street - you better believe I will use every avenue to go after that HOA to dismantle it.

I personally dislike mandatory HOA's. I prefer optional ones - ones that require they do a good job to keep their members. I also prefer good neighbors. Instead of hiding behind an HOA - if someone has something that's an eyesore, I'd just talk with them. If my neighbor didn't mow his front lawn to my satisfaction, I'd probably just ask if they're cool if I mow their front lawn while I'm doing mine. No HOA needed - just two civil neighbors.

Brian

Old 10-26-2009, 07:35 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,016,198 times
I am all about ones personal freedoms and the ability to do as he or she sees fit on her property, when that doesn't have and effect on anyone else.

If you live in a neighbourhood, what you do on your property DOES effect your neighbors. If you cost me money in resale because you feel like you need to make a lead pipe sculpture in your front yard of 2 chics getting it on...then I'm going to be upset.

HOA's stop that dumb **** from happening.

There are reasons they exist. They don't need to be ultra heavy handed, but they do serve a purpose.

No I would not want them to tell me my kid cannot have a play set in the backyard. But I hate those basketball hoop stands ( I dont know what they are called) in the street. where I moved from they were all over and almost ran over a few.

But I agree, it seems some can be power hungry

Old 10-26-2009, 07:49 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,597,786 times
Quote:
No I would not want them to tell me my kid cannot have a play set in the backyard. But I hate those basketball hoop stands ( I dont know what they are called) in the street. where I moved from they were all over and almost ran over a few.
Putting a basketball hoop in the street, or for that matter on the sidewalk, is against city laws. Contact code enforcement. No need for an HOA (and the costs associated with them).

While it annoys me that in my neighborhood, many people have basketball hoops on the sidewalks, that clearly does not affect my property value. It's silly, but doesn't affect me so I ignore it (imo, these huge brick mailboxes in the middle of the sidewalk are more of an issue since they're not movable... it amazes me we still do this and ignore ADA compliance). Someone contacted the city regarding the basketball nets last year and the city came out to address it.

If it appears I'm picking you you, Cupcake, I'm sorry. It's just you put up a couple of examples, so I'm trying to point out how an HOA in many cases either try to address city code enforcement, something out of their jurisdiction or infringe on property rights. I can agree that some homeowners do some stupid things - we just disagree on how to address it. I prefer not to sign away my personal property rights. Furthermore, I've seen many studies how many HOAs are managed by HOA management companies... which IMO are just companies that want to dip their hands into my pocket (since they're FOR PROFIT companies). Between Internet, TV, phone, etc, etc - there's enough competing for my dollars. The last thing I need is a contractual obligation to pay another bill as long as I own my home.

Brian

Old 10-26-2009, 01:52 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
I am all about ones personal freedoms and the ability to do as he or she sees fit on her property, when that doesn't have and effect on anyone else.

If you live in a neighbourhood, what you do on your property DOES effect your neighbors. If you cost me money in resale because you feel like you need to make a lead pipe sculpture in your front yard of 2 chics getting it on...then I'm going to be upset.

HOA's stop that dumb **** from happening.

There are reasons they exist. They don't need to be ultra heavy handed, but they do serve a purpose.

But I agree, it seems some can be power hungry
Nobody in this HOA-less neighborhood has painted their house an "offensive" color, nobody has any sculptures in their front yards of any sexual activity of any kind, and nobody leaves basketball hoop stands in the street.

This demonstrates that HOAs are unnecessary for people of a certain class/level of intelligence. If you have to be restricted from doing the above things, then maybe you do need an HOA. But most reasonably intelligent, educated adults do not have to even be told not to do the above things.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:56 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,502,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Nobody in this HOA-less neighborhood has painted their house an "offensive" color, nobody has any sculptures in their front yards of any sexual activity of any kind, and nobody leaves basketball hoop stands in the street.

This demonstrates that HOAs are unnecessary for people of a certain class/level of intelligence. If you have to be restricted from doing the above things, then maybe you do need an HOA. But most reasonably intelligent, educated adults do not have to even be told not to do the above things.
We have none of the above either. I have to admit, I'm intrigued by the sculptures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas