Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 12:16 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,016,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
I agree. Personally, I don't care what my neighbors are up to.

If anything unacceptable is going on in the neighborhood I'll walk over to my neighbor and discuss it face to face.

But the fines, warning letters, taking pictures of peoples' lawns, etc, is petty, cowardly, and rude.

It would matter to you if your neighbours were making the neighbourhood look bad. You would also care if you paid for a house that sits on a hill and you look down at a neighbours house who decided to store all their garage sale finds and extra stuff from the house in their backyard.

I disagree about approching a neighbour, because they probably don't think what they are doing is wrong or looks bad. I know a guy who did approch his neighbour who was in violation and the neighbour got angry and hit the guy and it ended up in a fist fight and the police were called and it ended bad. He was like you and felt it was best if he talked to the neighbour himself.

He moved here from Maryland, thought it would be ok in Keller, Now he says no matter how much you pay for your house here, you will always be surrounded by rednecks. Those were his words not mine. But he was pretty angry at the time when he said it, so he probably didn't really mean it.

If you are against living in a subdivision that has a HOA don't live there! Personaly I wouldn't live where there wasn't one.

Last edited by Cupcake77; 10-23-2009 at 01:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 01:52 PM

989 posts, read 2,498,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
It would matter to you if your neighbours were making the neighbourhood look bad. You would also care if you paid for a house that sits on a hill and you look down at a neighbours house who decided to store all their garage sale finds and extra stuff from the house in their backyard.

I disagree about approching a neighbour, because they probably don't think what they are doing is wrong or looks bad. I know a guy who did approch his neighbour who was in violation and the neighbour got angry and hit the guy and it ended up in a fist fight and the police were called and it ended bad. He was like you and felt it was best if he talked to the neighbour himself.

He moved here from Maryland, thought it would be ok in Keller, Now he says no matter how much you pay for your house here, you will always be surrounded by rednecks. Those were his words not mine. But he was pretty angry at the time when he said it, so he probably didn't really mean it.

If you are against living in a subdivision that has a HOA don't live there! Personaly I wouldn't live where there wasn't one.
You are describing a neighbor that belongs in an insane asylum. Most people don't need an HOA to tell them to keep garbage out of their yard. The vast majority of people who spend good money on their homes and property taxes don't want their property to become a dump. Furthermore, the vast majority of folks can be reasoned with like normal people. Therefore, I'd rather roll the dice without an HOA and bet on my neighbors not being sick maniacs. With such horrible neighbors you're gonna have big problems with or without an HOA.

I wouldn't listen to your East Coast transplant friend. If he thinks everyone in Keller is a red neck he is clearly delusional.

But I think we can agree to disagree. You go for the HOAs, but I'll pass.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:09 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,534,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I like all the different things - the toys, the flag poles, the art installations, the water fountains and statues, etc. I like all that. It makes the neighborhood interesting. City code keeps out trash, cars in yards, tall weeds, treehouses in trees in the front yard. Well, actually, I am okay with that University Park treehouse that now has to come down.
Your right FarNorth...city code take care of all that rough stuff. I dislike HOA's sorry people

Old 10-24-2009, 10:52 AM

438 posts, read 1,783,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
I agree. Personally, I don't care what my neighbors are up to.

If anything unacceptable is going on in the neighborhood I'll walk over to my neighbor and discuss it face to face.

But the fines, warning letters, taking pictures of peoples' lawns, etc, is petty, cowardly, and rude.

Well put, and worth full-quoting.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:34 PM

6,823 posts, read 14,039,451 times
Not to turn this into a political post but it amazes me the same folks who wants the government to have minimal involvement in there lives have no problem giving HOA's the authority to rule with a iron fist. I just don't get it.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:08 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,749,981 times
Grainraiser,
Because it's a CHOICE to live there. I can choose to not live in an HOA or I can choose to live where I and my neighbors have a covenant to abide by certain community standards. With the government it's very hard to choose to keep their hands out of my pocketbook and to choose what they will do with my money once they've got it and hard to keep them representing "ME" as opposed to their lobbyists and big donors.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:39 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
Grainraiser,
Because it's a CHOICE to live there. I can choose to not live in an HOA or I can choose to live where I and my neighbors have a covenant to abide by certain community standards. With the government it's very hard to choose to keep their hands out of my pocketbook and to choose what they will do with my money once they've got it and hard to keep them representing "ME" as opposed to their lobbyists and big donors.
It is a choice to a certain extent. Say like you work in west Plano and want a short commute. Your HOA-free options are pretty limited in that area of the metroplex. It is always your choice where you decide to live but the parameters of that choice are dictated by other things that are harder to change, such as the location of your job, the needs/wants of your family if you have one, your budget, etc.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:49 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,749,981 times
You "want" a short commute. It's still a choice to a large extent unlike property tax which you WILL pay either thru direct property taxes of your own property or thru your rent to a landlord. Only a very tiny percentage is able to avoid that and usually thru dire circumstances. You will pay sales tax unless you find a way to live your entire life not engaging in any sort of retail.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:15 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
You "want" a short commute. It's still a choice to a large extent unlike property tax which you WILL pay either thru direct property taxes of your own property or thru your rent to a landlord. Only a very tiny percentage is able to avoid that and usually thru dire circumstances. You will pay sales tax unless you find a way to live your entire life not engaging in any sort of retail.
My point is that it is not as much of a choice as some people say it is. There are many more subdivisions in west Plano, Frisco, Allen, and McKinney with restrictive HOAs than without them. If you work in Collin County and do not want to spend an hour in the car every day, then your options are limited. Of course it is a choice, but it is not as "free" of a choice as some people make it out to be.

It is not as if you can look across the street and see the same type of subidivision only without an HOA. No. Your options may be as follows: Scenario A: Buy house in subdivision with HOA. Have 10-minute commute to work. Send kids to a school that makes the wife happy. Have house that fits into budget and meets family's needs or Scenario B: Buy house in older neighborhood 10 miles south of work with no HOA. Have 30-minute or longer commute to work. Have to consider private schools. Have house that may need work or additions built onto it as it is too small to meet growing family's needs.

For some people, the decision really does come down to that. A lot of people live in Collin County because they could not afford anything near that nice in Dallas County unless they wanted to put up with a lot more crime and pretty crappy schools. I can hardly blame them for making the decisions that they made. Some people think they can live with an HOA's restrictions because of the other (mostly financial) advantages of living in cheaper, further-out areas. And some people find that after they sign on the dotted line, they really hate it. I feel for them.

Luckily I did not have to take anyone else's needs under consideration when I bought this house. But if I did, would I have bought the same house? Possibly not. Hard to say.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:54 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,470,206 times
Do cities like HOA's because it transfers the cost of maintaining common areas from the city to the homeowners?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas