Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 08:58 AM

989 posts, read 2,499,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
Because sheds are ugly. Depending on the neighbourhood, unless you have a huge yard with lots of tree's. A shed looks awful! yes your neighbors can see that eye sore everyday, and sometimes it can be seen from the street. horrrrrible.

Same goes for lawn ornaments.
I've got a novel idea. How about not looking into your neighbors' yards and minding your own freaking business?

By the way, how would you feel if your neighbors thought something important to you was ugly and told you you could not have it on property you rightfully own? Not too good, I'd imagine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 09:42 AM

16 posts, read 36,860 times
Quote:
Because sheds are ugly. Depending on the neighbourhood, unless you have a huge yard with lots of tree's. A shed looks awful! yes your neighbors can see that eye sore everyday, and sometimes it can be seen from the street. horrrrrible.

Same goes for lawn ornaments.
Exactly why I want a HOA. I keep my yard nice but, I am one of the few and where I live
people will have 3 and 4 car garages and still put 3 or 4 sheds in their back yard...along with the lawn ornaments.

Obviously, it is time to have a yard sale, give stuff away, or something...I don't get it...but,
I also have the right to not want to live near someone who thinks it is okay to have 3 or 4 sheds.

That's why will never again live somewhere where there is not a HOA.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:05 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,506,468 times
I've never lived in an HOA area in my life, but have usually lived in old historic neighborhoods with very expensive homes. Beautifully maintained homes and gardens. Maybe it's a price point thing? But then again, not necessarily--I'm thinking about an area I drove through the other day--homes couldn't have been more than $200K and they were all very well-kept. I guess it's about pride in a neighborhood.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:15 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,016,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethboon2009 View Post
Exactly why I want a HOA. I keep my yard nice but, I am one of the few and where I live
people will have 3 and 4 car garages and still put 3 or 4 sheds in their back yard...along with the lawn ornaments.

Obviously, it is time to have a yard sale, give stuff away, or something...I don't get it...but,
I also have the right to not want to live near someone who thinks it is okay to have 3 or 4 sheds.

That's why will never again live somewhere where there is not a HOA.

Exactly, and try selling a house with idiots around putting stuff like that in their yards. Looks like ****

I have driven through some areas where I have seen a ridculous amount of lawn ornaments and decorations I also saw a shed that sits about 3 feet higher than the fence. lol

Can you imgine giving directions to your house? Turn right when you see bubbas big red shed, then keep going until you see a yard with a fairyland, a duck wearing a raincoat and a dilapidated birdbath, take a sharp left when you see the yard that looks like a daycare with a mailbox in the shape of a cows head.. etc...

Thats why I wont live where there is no HOA.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:29 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,471,838 times
I like all the different things - the toys, the flag poles, the art installations, the water fountains and statues, etc. I like all that. It makes the neighborhood interesting. City code keeps out trash, cars in yards, tall weeds, treehouses in trees in the front yard. Well, actually, I am okay with that University Park treehouse that now has to come down.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:36 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,309,749 times
What the heck are "lawn ornaments"? I have never lived in a place so redneck that people have sheds and lawn ornaments and junky old cars in their front yards. MUST be a price point thing.

HOAs are only tolerable when living in a townhome/ condo/ highrise because of community property issues. As far as single family homes, I believe the reason my forefathers came to the United States was for FREEDOM from crap like mandates on the color of your playground set and the inability to choose your own landscaping.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:44 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,016,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
What the heck are "lawn ornaments"? I have never lived in a place so redneck that people have sheds and lawn ornaments and junky old cars in their front yards. MUST be a price point thing.

Sheds and lawn ornaments are redneck. Apparently some people like them. Personaly I think it looks trashy and I believe most HOA's agree. Thankful for HOA to prevent that from happening where I live.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:57 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,890,363 times
I like the happy medium. I feel like we live in a neighborhood w/ an HOA that DOES have some common sense. If I paint the exterior of my house and it is a neutral then nobody is going to say a word that it was not the original color. If I paint it hot pink, purple, neon lime green or such I'm sure before I could get the first roll down one spot I'd have the HOA out calling me on it. Fences in our neighborhood are a variety of wood fences and wrought iron (golf course lots must have the wrought iron). We are allowed to stain our fence in a "natural" color. Mine is more of a grey but I have a hardiboard and plank fence not the typical wood fence. So the color it is stained looks natural. Swingsets are allowed in the backyards and they don't have to be only wooden. My kids have left their bikes on the front porch overnight and no one has called or sent a letter but they are not KEPT out there 24/7 (I don't to leave them there for other reasons). A few neighbors have a yard feature but all of the yards tend to be professionally done so any yard feature they have is VERY well thought out. It's not like every week when they are at Wallyworld they buy something and just throw it out anywhere in the yard. Several neighbors that have large front porches have a small cafe or bistro set out as I do on our porch with all of the french doors. Mine as well as the others are all the heavy iron ones. Not cheap plastic ones that get blown around.

As for additional structures no sheds are allowed but other seperate buildings are IF they are brick and match the house. Several have cabanas in the neighborhood (my next addition ) and we just added the second garage that is 100% brick with windows and architectural details that match the house. Not your standard "garage" by ANY means. Then again, nowadays in neighborhoods with large lots and multi million dollar houses they all have a secondary large garage. So it's not trashy or redneck or anything. It has actually been mistaken by delivery people as ANOTHER HOUSE! The roofline on it is as tall as our 2-story house and there are windows on the front and coach lighting. When it was under construction but already bricked and the overhead doors on it one delivery guy kept asking me if it was okay w/ my neighbors if I had him unload the stuff on their driveway......... LOL!!! It was MY driveway just for the other garage. Sure we had to submit it to the Architectural Review Committee but they saw it was actually going to be a very nice building and not a shack or anything.

As for dictating what planting material someone can use........... THAT is insane and over the top, imho. As long as they are not growing crops then the flowers, shrubs and trees sold at most garden centers should be just fine. Even "approved" plants can get out of control and look trashy if the owners don't take care of them so limiting to a certain list plant material can be self defeating.

Lived in another neighborhood that was a much lower price point and the HOA board that got put in place were a bunch of nazi's. They were even spending money for private parties and when we found out and called them on it they got TICKED! I didn't care as it was my money. They tried to come back on us and find things wrong w/ our yard and exterior of our house but couldn't but they kept trying and all on things that were legit and actually ORIGINAL to the house from the builder. LOL!!! We moved and got out of there. When an HOA board gets like this then the people get apathetic and the entire community goes downhill fast as people don't care. They even tried to restrict things that you find in much higher price point neighborhoods. They had no clue........

Old 10-22-2009, 05:04 PM

133 posts, read 691,666 times
My issue with HOAs is their inconsistency. The enforcement of bylaws in our HOA depends on who are the current president and heads of the architectural committee. Sometimes no rules are enforced, and in other "regimes" the enforcement is draconian. Further, at least in my HOA, there are no set processes for informing homeowners of complaints, making decisions about enforcement of rules, and NO appeal process. I can certainly see why some rules are needed, but if there need to be rules, they should not only pertain property appearance and upkeep, but also about how rules are to be applied and enforced.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:23 PM

6,823 posts, read 14,041,292 times
A happy medium is what HOA's should strive for. There is nothing wrong with requiring your grass be cut and no trash being left in the yard. I have a huge problem with people telling me I have to park my car in the garage every night and my house can only have certain types of plants. God forbid you anger someone on the board and they start in with the nick picky rule enforcements. If someone wants to build a shed or playhouse in there backyard that is fine with me. It is there property and as long as it is tastefully done who am I to say it is wrong. I have a outdoor kitchen at my house and many of the neighbors stop by for beer & burgers. We sit around and chit chat all the time. No one can see it unless I leave my side gate open. I don't need a group of strangers telling me what I can or cannot due in my fenced backyard. There is no loud music and nothing illegal is going on. I like to think the majority of folks in my neighborhood have common sense. My city has strict codes and they enforce them. I do not want to deal with any group of people who can sue me because I had tan shingles instead of weathered ones installed. Telling me that a new Ford pickup is not status symbol enough and it must be a Navigator in order to park it in the driveway. I wanted people to tell this adult what to do I would have joined the military. If you like HOA's sign up. If not move to area that does not have them. We are in America and you have choices. I just prefer to keep as many of rights as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas