Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 04:39 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,891,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
This demonstrates that HOAs are unnecessary for people of a certain class/level of intelligence. If you have to be restricted from doing the above things, then maybe you do need an HOA. But most reasonably intelligent, educated adults do not have to even be told not to do the above things.
Exactly!!! We Grapevine folks are pretty classy, so we don't need an HOA telling us what to do!

There are no basketball hoops in the street in my neighborhood, either. There is one house (occupied by an elderly couple who often are out working in their yard) that has a couple of angel sculptures in their front flowerbeds. They do such a good job of maintaining their yard that I'm willing to overlook the tacky sculptures...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 10:14 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,456,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Do cities like HOA's because it transfers the cost of maintaining common areas from the city to the homeowners?
Absolutely, that's why cities are mandating them and have been mandating them for a couple of decades in Texas. The city of Garland has representatives testifying to that effect before the Texas State Legislature the last several sessions. This is a disease that has been spreading for a while. The city/county comes up with some "public benefit" that will be mandated for the property (open area, water retention, etc.) and then mandates a private method for taking care of it. Even in areas where the HOA has become defunct, the cities/counties are suing to force creation/revival of an HOA to assume those public responsibilities.

Not only does it eliminate the cost of maintaining those areas, it also ensures that the so-called common areas are privately owned and therefore subject to taxation. If the city/county owned them those areas would be exempt from the tax roles. Instead the city/county is mandating these areas in subdivisions but they are privately owned. This means they will be on the tax roles and privately maintained at the expense of the homeowners in that subdivision. The HOA owns the common area, not the homeowners.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:46 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,890,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
Absolutely, that's why cities are mandating them and have been mandating them for a couple of decades in Texas. The city of Garland has representatives testifying to that effect before the Texas State Legislature the last several sessions. This is a disease that has been spreading for a while. The city/county comes up with some "public benefit" that will be mandated for the property (open area, water retention, etc.) and then mandates a private method for taking care of it. Even in areas where the HOA has become defunct, the cities/counties are suing to force creation/revival of an HOA to assume those public responsibilities.

Not only does it eliminate the cost of maintaining those areas, it also ensures that the so-called common areas are privately owned and therefore subject to taxation. If the city/county owned them those areas would be exempt from the tax roles. Instead the city/county is mandating these areas in subdivisions but they are privately owned. This means they will be on the tax roles and privately maintained at the expense of the homeowners in that subdivision. The HOA owns the common area, not the homeowners.
FYI, what the private property owner HOA pays in taxes for these common areas is miniscule. Most are valued VERY LOW. For instance our neighborhood swim & rec club that has a pool, 2 story clubhouse, playground, tons of green space is valued on the DCAD at $120 TOTAL MARKET VALUE. The 2009 property taxes assessed on this piece of property are a whooping $3.07. The city is hardly getting rich off of that.

And yes, the HOA owns the common areas. I don't want to own them. That is why it is called a "common" area.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,130 times
Land of the free means land of the free, isn't that what the terrorists hate us for? When you live in an HOA, you pay to give up your rights, makes not sense to me and it is a slap in the face of our armed forces.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:29 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,218,878 times
Does anyone out there really like HOA's (Home Owner Associations)?

I'll take an HOA over my neighbor parking his truck in his yard. Though right now I don't live in an HOA area and my neighbor DOES park his truck in his yard. Right in front of the front porch.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:43 PM

277 posts, read 678,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willsson View Post
does anyone out there really like hoa's (home owner associations)?

i'll take an hoa over my neighbor parking his truck in his yard. Though right now i don't live in an hoa area and my neighbor does park his truck in his yard. Right in front of the front porch.
+1

Old 04-26-2013, 09:07 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,750,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt22 View Post
Land of the free means land of the free, isn't that what the terrorists hate us for? When you live in an HOA, you pay to give up your rights, makes not sense to me and it is a slap in the face of our armed forces.

You are FREE to CHOOSE to live in an HOA. You have the RIGHT to CHOOSE to live in a non-HOA neighborhood.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:31 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,106,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt22 View Post
When you live in an HOA, you pay to give up your rights, makes not sense to me and it is a slap in the face of our armed forces.
Not exactly. I pay my HOA to make sure that they are keeping any idiotic neighbors in check, who don't know how or are unwilling to maintain their yard for example. I pay them to make sure that the one guy on the corner, whose car is covered in political bumper stickers, isn't allowed to post a million political signs in his yard. I pay the HOA to keep people from doing tacky things to their house, and lowering the value of the neighborhood.

It used to be that people didn't need an HOA to enforce things like this, people did it themselves. Unfortunately, that is no longer the case.

(And finally, I know plenty of former servicemen who live in gated, HOA communities and love it for the peace, quiet, and order. If it's good enough for Colin Powell, it's good enough for anyone who has served. )

Old 04-26-2013, 09:45 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,654,796 times
Default Buy a few acres out in the sticks and be free! No HOA's to Boss you around!

My home was built in 1975. It still looks stunning. It will remain so under my care. I just re read the deed restrictions. The more I read the more I like my HOA. Perfectly reasonable. I didn't move here so I could share my vision of tacky lawn art with the world. I don't have to see any either. Life is too short to have to deal with the BS I have endured in an inner city neighborhood. Seriously, if you don't like the idea of a HOA don't live in an area that has one.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:15 AM

440 posts, read 867,636 times
I personally love we live with a HOA now-ours is so low key but everyone keeps everything nice and the common areas look great. Where I used to live was a very affluent area and yet my neighbor had a dumpster in their front yard while renovating -for four years!!! They threw all their household rubbish in there as well -I'm sure you can imagine the result-my other neighbors who I was good friends with mowed their grass just twice in the growing season-they spent all their time at a their beach house so it got mowed the day before school went back-people across from us were constantly renting out there house so they left their trash barrels on the street all week and whenever they had visitors they seemed to think my driveway was the place to park because we had a big driveway and they were to lazy to park in the correct one. Most people didn't even bother shoveling their walk when it snowed ....And I wont even get into people maintaining the outside of their home....When we put our house on the market I mowed my neighbors yard and hoped everyone's yard would be ok...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas