Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 04:13 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,066,237 times

Advertisements

KaaBoom, that's a tiny difference, less than one degree in the 24-hour average. The big difference is that people are home asleep at night when Denver's night time temps are low - so it isn't noticed. What is noticed are Denver's higher DAYTIME temps (when most people are out and about) which ARE higher than NYC's daytime temps, and when coupled with all that Denver sunshine and low humidity makes Denver a surefire winter winner.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:43 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,623,896 times
Forecast says 50s by Thursday. Bust out the shorts and sandals! I stopped at Starbucks yesterday when it was 3 degrees and I saw two guys wearing shorts. I was fully layered up. I run cold most of the time. My wife wants to move back to San Diego because of the cold. She has RA so she aches through out the cold stretch.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:33 AM

22,343 posts, read 29,452,102 times
This is really stupid is all I can say, lol

Old 12-08-2013, 10:11 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Forecast says 50s by Thursday. Bust out the shorts and sandals! I stopped at Starbucks yesterday when it was 3 degrees and I saw two guys wearing shorts. I was fully layered up. I run cold most of the time. My wife wants to move back to San Diego because of the cold. She has RA so she aches through out the cold stretch.
We have a high of 56 today and I'm too wussy to ride outside I have a heater in front of the spin bike and a fire in the wood stove.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:49 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Here are two sets of numbers for NYC vs Denver

- NYC: January Avgs are 36 High and 23 Low.

- DEN: January Avgs are 47 High and 16 Low.

From this info, it seems that Denver is milder in winter than NYC. Denver has average warmer highs in January but colder lows. Short term variations exist, like our current cold spell in Denver, but cherry picking a few days of data to make a point is not really a viable argument to offer. Did I misread the charts?

Much lower humidity in Denver makes the temps in COLO more tolerable too.

For whatever reason, it seems KaaBoom dislikes all things Denver. It gets old. Good info is always welcome, permanent animosity is tiring.
I agree, Denver is milder. Native NYC'er here. There is no comparison between a New York winter and a Denver winter. NYC is wet and dark even when there is no precipitation. It's the sort of cold that seeps through your clothes and just feels miserable for months and months.

Yes, it gets cold here and yes, the current temps are very uncomfortable, but the general lack of humidity just makes it that much more bearable. That, and the greater number of sunny days.
Much better here.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:30 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,567,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Actually I love Denver. Just not the weather (and the out of control growth, but that's another story).

I'm talking about the average temperature. Not the average high temperature. Yes we all know that Denver is famous for the sun peaking out of the clouds for a few hours in the afternoon, in even the worst weather, and warming things up to an almost bearable temperature for a few hours. The Denver Visitors Center keeps reminding us about that over 300 days of sun. But most people are at work at that time. By the time they are going home, the sun is setting and the temperatures are plummeting. And Denver's low temperatures are merciless. I don't know of any other area out side of the Great Lakes or uper-midwest that compares to the cold low temperatures and the amount of snow that Denver gets.

The average 24 hr. temp in January is 30.7 in New York vs 29.8 in Denver. The average year round 24 hr. temp is 53.8 in New York vs 50.2 in Denver. That makes NYC a slightly warmer and more mild climate then Denver IMHO. Now I'm not saying that I think New York's climate is superior to Denver's. By the numbers they actually seem pretty comparable. More a matter of personal preferences, as to which is better.

I'm sorry that you get tired of my posts. But as long as there are so many cheerleaders for Denver's weather, I think the other side of the story should be told by someone who has lived in Denver, and was not that impressed with Denver's climate.

DENVER STAPLETON AP, DENVER COUNTY, COLORADO USA Weather History and Climate Data
NEW YORK,WESTERLEIGH, RICHMOND COUNTY, NEW YORK USA Weather History and Climate Data

Did you happen to check sunshine and humidity levels too? Have you ever spent a winter in New York? It sucks compared to Denver. It is grey and humid. The cold is so much more biting.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:39 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post

Peyton Manning better keep those hands warm for the game on Sunday.
He did all right...

Old 12-11-2013, 08:02 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,591,494 times
So I saw a trace of snow Tuesday as the 2nd Arctic front rolled in and gave us those below zero readings. I measured a total of 6 inches on Wednesday Dec 4th. Dec 5th-9 we got snow everyday, but all just a trace or dusting. So far then the total goes to:

snow YTD: 12 inches.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:43 AM

22,343 posts, read 29,452,102 times
Weather should be nice for next few days!!! Yea

Old 12-12-2013, 01:07 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,623,896 times
My car read 54 degrees at lunch. What a turn around from last week at this time. Another beautiful Colorado Fall day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver