Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 05:56 AM

539 posts, read 392,682 times

Advertisements

It's a petty nice climate. What's to be delusional about? The summer are much less hot and humid than most of the USA. And if it's hotter than you want just go to the mountains. There are four seasons which is pretty nice. With all the sunshine even in the winter you'll get a few mild days which are heaven if like me you moved to Denver from Erie, PA a place that has snow on the ground straight from November thru March. With all that sunshine the snow doesn't usually last that long in Denver (it melts so fast), but just go to the mountains if you want some.

The five places that I've lived for at least three years are Valparaiso, IN near Chicago, Indianapolis, IN, Erie, PA, Denver, CO and now St. Louis, MO. And Denver IMHO has the other four beat by a mile.

Have you found people to be disappointed in the climate after they move out? I can't imagine many people from the Midwest in particular being disappointed. For me, I was pleasantly surprised (We moved out for a job for DH) and my biggest unexpected surprise and delight was the weather. Well the mountains were pretty awesome too, but I knew about them in advance.

Denver is not lush and green like many places I have lived. But oh do you pay a big price for lush and green -- heat and humidity in the summer. Sure if you live in a lush green place enjoy it for what it is worth, but again Denver trumps.

I did have one disappointment about the seasons. People rave about the golden Aspens in the fall. The mountains are nice and beautiful in any season, but IMHO eastern and Midwest falls with the brilliant reds, oranges, and golds have those golden aspen trees beat by a mile. So all I would say that natives are a little delusional about beautiful falls in the mountains (but let them be delusional and enjoy what they have - why not)-- come to the Midwest or east, though, to see something really gorgeous on that account. But for everything else Denver trumps big time.

If you are talking severe weather, that is to be had all over the US. Denver had no shortage of tornados when I lived there, that's for sure and seemed pretty close on that account to the Tornado alley places that I've lived in. As other posters have said despite living most of my life in tornado alley my time in Denver is the only one where I actually saw a funnel cloud.

Last edited by Kathy884; 08-27-2016 at 06:18 AM..

Old 08-27-2016, 08:11 AM

95 posts, read 94,729 times
I've lived in Texas, California, Indiana and a few other places and Denver's weather overall is great. Besides humidity many places have terrible bugs that make being outside in the summer almost impossible without dousing yourself head to toe with DEET. Yes, we get snow but with the laser-like sun it doesn't accumulate like the dirty gray tundra you find in most midwestern states. And I love that instead of the skies remaining grey throughout the winter we get sporadic days of good sunshine.

Old 08-27-2016, 12:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
I agree with Kathy884 about the autmns in Denver/Colorado. We came here from Champaign, IL where there are few trees except in town, and I was excited for the aspen show. Not much by the standards of Pennsylvania, where I grew up. After while, however, I got into the mindset of "it's not much, but it's all we've got". Fall weather, OTOH, is pretty nice; the stuff you read about in fiction, cool to warm sunny days. Snow by Halloween most years.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:50 PM

133 posts, read 149,426 times
Being originally from southeastern PA, I agree with the fall colors comment... Same was true in Phoenix, Arizona - Many raved about going to the AZ mountains all over the state to see the fall colors. Every year, I've gone on several hikes to go see them myself and at first thought, "Hmmm, this is pretty, but these are not fall colors!". Anyway, I ended up learning that, like Katarina said, it is all we have out here - so I might as well enjoy it for what it's worth!

Nothing beats a Vermont fall though!

Last edited by sailelsa; 08-29-2016 at 01:24 PM..

Old 08-30-2016, 11:25 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,475,281 times
I miss it with the new humidity in So Cal. Not FL but CO is much more pleasant.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:19 AM

598 posts, read 1,546,446 times
Fall colors last year, north of Colorado Springs. Ya just gotta go find them...
Attached Thumbnails
Are people delusional about Denver's climate?-20140926_100005_richtone-hdr-.jpg  

Old 08-31-2016, 07:25 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt007 View Post
Pretty. But I have to agree it's got nothing on fall colors in the upper midwest or northeast.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:59 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,552,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Pretty. But I have to agree it's got nothing on fall colors in the upper midwest or northeast.
Can't have everything. I was in Maine last fall; Gorgeous, but lacking something we have here.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 08-31-2016 at 08:45 AM..

Old 08-31-2016, 08:06 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Can't have everything. I was in Maine later fall; Gorgeous, but lacking something we have here.
Agreed. And overall, I much prefer here. Not even close. But the fall colors are stunning there.

Beautiful pic.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:00 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt007 View Post
Beautiful pic. Here are some of Pennsylvania: https://www.google.com/search?q=Penn...1ipTKcly9KM%3A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver