Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2008, 04:14 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,850,946 times

Advertisements

The Saab and Fiat dealership was called Grand Prix Imports. I remember that place well as two high school buddies of mine ran the parts department there. Right next to that building was the old Griff's Hamburgers. Also the record store you might be thinking of was Budget Tapes and Records. Then when vinyl was the dominant music format Budget had over a dozen stores in the Denver area. Speaking of Englewood Speedway (actually Englewood), they finally knocked down the drive in theaters recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 04:29 PM

687 posts, read 2,951,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
The Saab and Fiat dealership was called Grand Prix Imports. I remember that place well as two high school buddies of mine ran the parts department there. Right next to that building was the old Griff's Hamburgers. Also the record store you might be thinking of was Budget Tapes and Records. Then when vinyl was the dominant music format Budget had over a dozen stores in the Denver area. Speaking of Englewood Speedway (actually Englewood), they finally knocked down the drive in theaters recently.
This was a mom and pop place, so small you just squeezed thru the displays, definitely not Budget T%R....in fact they advertised on the old KIMN in the 60's heavily.
Geez the Englewood Drive ins were old when I lived there. Last time there was viewing Poltergeist.
The Evans drive in was near us....Clint Eastwood movies, What do you say to a Naked Lady?...we had to park outside that one, not old enough. You could park on the street and watch the movie without sound.
All nighter movies there, rent a heater for 50cents, never saw a bit of the movies.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:43 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,469,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb85650 View Post
There was a restaurant off north Santa Fe called Buffalo Trading post or something like that? Really old place, lots of history, hundreds of stuffed animals...
You're probably thinking of the Buckhorn Exchange at 1000 Osage. It's still there--it has Colorado Liquor License #1.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
You're probably thinking of the Buckhorn Exchange at 1000 Osage. It's still there--it has Colorado Liquor License #1.
Yes! that's the place. Thanks for the memory jolt. Nothing like having a steak with furry bodies and glass eyes staring at your every bite.
But I enjoyed the ambience.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:41 AM

drb85650. I goofed! For some reason I was focused on Alameda as that particular Budget store was on the corner of Alameda and Sheridan. A possibility would be Recycle Records on west Colfax but that was in a strip mall close to Casa Bonita restaurant. Sheridan is close to there but I don't think it's that one either. I think that store started business in 1979 or so. I'll do some diggin' and see what I can find!

Old 10-09-2008, 12:46 PM

I remember Recycle Records, lived off 3rd and Harlan in Lakewood for 4 years within sight of "After the Goldrush".

The mom and pop record store was red brick, probably no bigger than a 2 car garage, north side of Colfax, set apart from other buildings. I bought In A Gada Da Vida there....

More car related memories....Burt Chevrolet when it was in old downtown Englewood, sitting in a new 64 Impala SS 4speed on the showroom floor while mom and dad shopped...
worked at Pansing Pontiace 69-71, new GTO Judges on the showroom floor...couldn't sell them they were so ugly.

A Toyota dealer on south Broadway(part of Burt Chevy I think), this in 1965...dad drove home a new Corolla sedan, mom didn't like it. Might have been right across the street from a Jeep dealer.

Golden Restorations way out on the end of west Colfax....

Old 10-09-2008, 07:19 PM

drb!Whazzup? Burt Toyota WAS part of Burt Chevy. One of my best friends bought his Toyota Corolla there just down a ways from Burt Chevy. The restaurant Azars was across the street from there. Ate there twice a week. STILL trying to figure out that record store!

Old 10-09-2008, 08:13 PM

Hey double....thanks for taking the time to put on the thinking cap, I appreciate it. It'll be just another piece of useless info floating around up there, but at least in my case it won't be crowded!
Leaving early tomorrow morning for a trip to Cleveland OH., back online Tuesday sometime.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:08 PM

The only other one that I can CONFIRM is a small shop on Colfax but west of Kipling. Strictly a used selection, VERY small. The owner was kind of eccentric, but likable. One I CAN'T confirm, but do remember hearing about was a small shop called Mom's Place. Small store, quality used and new selection of vinyl, tapes both used and new. Never got over there but friends of mine did. I'm not positive that it was on Colfax Ave., but I remember them telling me it was! Possibility?

Old 10-15-2008, 10:43 AM

If the second one was on Colfax, that sounds more like it. Geez if we could only listen to tapes of KIMN circa 63-68, I think they had giveaways at the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver