Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2008, 09:17 AM

58 posts, read 397,094 times

Advertisements

Thats really cool thanks for the link. And yes I remember the mr taffy guy. And the music store was called Happy Logan's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 05:11 PM

25 posts, read 295,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I lived in Littleonfor many years andonly got to Bear Valley mall a handful of times. One time was a big purchase. Remember Team electronics? Bought my first stereo system there- a Pioneer QX-4000 4 channel Quad receiver. The store was right across the state from the mall. After buying the receiver I went to a cool little record store inside the mall called Spin-A-Disc. They had a good size selection. This was back in '72,
That is cool, did they ever actually broadcast in quad, even for a short period?

Old 07-22-2008, 04:06 PM

2 posts, read 83,391 times
This thread is right up my alley. (My apologies if this goes into the 80's)

For years I have wanted to create a "vintage Denver" type of web site that has images, stories, info, etc. just all around nostalgia of the city I grew up in and still reside, reflecting on the years 1950's-1990's. Look for it next year as I will rely on many contributions....

Just yesterday I was at DPL looking thru microfiche of the Denver Post and Rocky Mountain News (looking for info on CSU Rams helmet of 1964. A little hobby of mine)
Seeing some of the ads brought back some great memories:

Does anyone remember:

Soda Straw - you got a birthday cake with sparklers in it and a screaming siren would ring while they were bringing out the cake. You got to wear cool straw hats and their was no way you were going to leave this place without a new tooth cavity (the one we most frequented was on West Colfax though I know their were others at 84th and Pecos and on Colorado BLVD.

La Posada - almost everyone one remembers Casa Bonita but La Posada was my first taste of Mexican food. I think it was on about 3rd and Broadway (or Acoma or Bannock) in a big house ? Does anyone recall this place?

Round the Corner - burger restaurants where you called to order your food on a phone. Last one I remember was at the Buckingham Mall. Is that mall gone now? I haven't been out that way since early 90's.

Mister Donut - one of my first jobs was at the one at Alameda and Wadsworth in the mid 80's. I loved the old timers (regulars) that came in there. LOTS of stories about old Denver.

Pop Shoppe - All kinds of pop that you took away in red cases. If you brought back the bottles and cases they gave you a discount on your next order. I think. I bought some bottles off of ebay years ago. The store we went to was on Jewell and Sheridan right by the Handy Dan hardware store.

Drumstick also at JCRS. Remember the train that was affixed to the ceiling/wall that went all around the restaurant? Used to als go to the one out on Santa Fe but I didn't like the decor and architecture of the building as much. Also, did they have the train at this location?

Whataburger and Der Wienerschnitzel. Whataburgers are all over Texas but I haven't seen one here since the late 70's / early 80's ? Der Wienerschnitzel is just Hamburger stand now? Where were these places? I think the one Whataburger (distinct orange and white striped roof) that I recall was at Federal and Florida?

Others:

Lionel Play World (before we had Toys-R-US) at Pierce and Colfax

Yellow Front - a discount store. Very cheap

Woolco and Woolworths

Skaggs - Yosemite Sam!

LaBelle's - then it became Service Merchandise (6th and Kipling)

Pizza Inn - Sheridan and Evans. Then it was Godfathers and then Pantera? Think it has been Ristans for years now (a bar)

Montgomery Wards building on South Broadway across the street from my favorite Mile High Comics store

Stormy Rockman, weatherman for channel 9. I think that was his last name. But what a great first name!

Teletunes on channel 12 before my family had cable and MTV

Roller City West at Alameda and Pierce (I grew up in Lakewood) is where I spent many Saturday and Sunday afternoons. It has been a thrift store since 1996? Are their any roller rinks still around?

Was their a Ground Round restaurant around 10th and Wadsworth in the 1970's ? My friend and I have a disagreement as to where it was exactly located.

Does anyone remember a chain of stores called Spartans? I guess their was one around Jewell and Sheridan ?

Did Denver ever have Red Barn's or Burger Chef?

I turn 40 next June. I wish I could I have my birthday party at Celebrities Sports Center...

PS Hope these will post: Mister Donut and Hungry Farmer logos and a Drumstick postcard from the 1950's
Attached Thumbnails
Denver in the 1960s and 1970s (Memory Lane)-mister-donut.jpg   Denver in the 1960s and 1970s (Memory Lane)-hungfarmc.jpg   Denver in the 1960s and 1970s (Memory Lane)-drumstick-postcard-1950s.jpg  

Old 07-22-2008, 05:21 PM

17,988 posts, read 27,448,014 times
Good stuff man. You lived in Denver when I lived in SoCol or SoCal. I think this thread could bleed into the 80s and it wouldn't hurt none.

So, if you're from Lakewood area you surely remember when people could cruise "West" Colfax. If you should get a speeding ticket or any other ticket on that particular street in Lakewood, they had a special day set aside for you to appear in court; Wednesday.

Now, the DMV in that area, maybe 6th or 20th and Wads or Kipling or Sheridan was by this awesome German deli. Do you know it?

I used to hit the 18 bars back in the day; Gold Rush (or just Rush?), After the Gold Rush, then up in my neck of the woods...The Party Place! We won't talk about Pecos Junction, will we?

Old 07-22-2008, 06:24 PM

2 posts, read 83,391 times
You know I DID get a speeding ticket once on West Colfax and it had nothing to do with cruising (although, yes that was quite a bit of fun back then! I had a big GMC monster truck I called "The Juggernaut" that I would cruise with or a 1975 Camaro).

I got that ticket with my Camaro, going to Dino's (which is still there on West Colfax and Kipling) with my friend Marty and his girlfriend Lori, circa Spring 1987

Does anyone know when Ramon's (next to Dino's) closed down ? They had okay Mexican food but it was reasonably priced...

I know where the DMV is on 20th and Kipling but do not know of the Deli
(which is odd because my German Grandmother probably did). I do know their is an Italian Deli on the other side of Wads and 20th (SE corner)

As far as 18 bars I would frequent Thirsty's (now Brooklyn's by the Pepsi Center) and once I went to Mardi Gras (out in Aurora?). This was around 1988-1989. Does anyone remember Thirsty's and their penny pincher night(s)?

When did After the Gold Rush open (what's the deal with it's other monikers "The Rush" and "The Gold Rush") ? I may have been going to it way back then (at least as early as 1992) but I cannot recall...I was going there when it became Hollywood Legendz. In latter years it became something else. I drove by it this last Friday and it just looks like a shi*hole. Too bad. Lots of fun there!

Some other things I remember from reading the response to this one:

Jackson's Hole: Are their any left? I noticed the one on 6th and Kipling has been gone for awhile now

You can still see the speakers from the Drive In that used to be in that area in a near by field

Also, does anyone Remember J.B. and H. Records? They had a location at 18th and Wadsworth but their main store was in the Green Mountain area of Union and Alameda (right where the Walgreens? is). I think it went out of business in 1997?
I would often frequent J.B. and H. over Budget Tapes and Records, Sound Warehouse and Villa Music...LOVED IT!

What was Pecos Junction ? It sounds very familiar!

Old 07-22-2008, 08:48 PM

220 posts, read 748,215 times
Valas TV on Broadway
Montgomery Wards on Broadway
Mr Lucky's, Bogarts, London House in Glendale
Uncle John's Pancake House across from Celebrity Lanes

Old 07-22-2008, 10:12 PM

25 posts, read 295,085 times
I do remember Hungry Farmer. Barbeque, tables with red and white checkerboards, good food. Probably unrelated, but the one that really had my heart was the Hungry Dutchman.

Sad to say, with the exception of Northwoods Inn (which still serves the best restaurant steak I have ever had in my life), all the restaurants of my youth in Denver, 1963-1974, are gone.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:41 AM

2 posts, read 44,556 times
[FONT=Verdana]I went to Kennedy from 69-71. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Cinderella[/FONT][FONT=Verdana] City is now the Englewood City Center. Cherry Creek is even more snobby. The BBQ joint in 5points was Daddy Bruce’s, it is the Buckhorn Exchange on 11th & Osage and the 3.2 bar in Evergreen is the Little Bear.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]I went to party on Lakeridge Road for the fireworks from Green Gables Country Club for the Forth of July.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 07-23-2008, 12:46 PM

17,988 posts, read 27,448,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus at 15 View Post
I got that ticket with my Camaro, going to Dino's (which is still there on West Colfax and Kipling) with my friend Marty and his girlfriend Lori, circa Spring 1987

Yeah, that was me. Small world, huh? Just kidding! The only Marty I knew rebuilt the Holley carb on my 73' Nova.

I know where the DMV is on 20th and Kipling but do not know of the Deli
(which is odd because my German Grandmother probably did). I do know their is an Italian Deli on the other side of Wads and 20th (SE corner)

Oh man, you missed out. This German food would stick to your ribs and came out piping hot and was so homeade, you'd swear the waitress-cashier-cook was your mom because she'd ask when you were done, "Do you want some more potatoes and gravy? Some more bread and butter? Here, have some more Schnitzel." I kid you not.

As far as 18 bars I would frequent Thirsty's (now Brooklyn's by the Pepsi Center)... Does anyone remember Thirsty's and their penny pincher night(s)? Are you kidding me? I went to Metro State and I used to go there with friends...one of our friends, actually my cousin's friend used to wear a dress. One she could sneak a pitcher of 3.2 beer out in when the bar closed! Good times!

When did After the Gold Rush open (what's the deal with it's other monikers "The Rush" and "The Gold Rush")
I think they're two separate places. One near 6th and Sheridan I think, and the other further down south. Maybe it was called After the Fox.

Oh, and what about Twin Towers? Not a 3.2 place btw.

Some other things I remember from reading the response to this one:

Jackson's Hole: Are their any left? I noticed the one on 6th and Kipling has been gone for awhile now

How about in Greeley?

Also, does anyone Remember J.B. and H. Records? They had a location at 18th and Wadsworth but their main store was in the Green Mountain area of Union and Alameda (right where the Walgreens? is). I think it went out of business in 1997?

No, but my place was Famous Video and tapes on about Arapahoe and University.

What was Pecos Junction ? It sounds very familiar!
Oh, you don't want to know. A place of ill-repute. Alot of those in Denver's unincorporateds.
Part of the reason I had to move away from my parents' house while going to college was because Denver was just too wild in the late 80's early 90s. Every apt complex was a drug/alcohol laboratory 24/7! I kid you not. Everywhere was a party place; be it the college campus, work, home, streets!

Thank goodness Nancy came along and said, "Just say no." That sort of cleaned away the hee-haws!

Add:

Quote:
and the 3.2 bar in Evergreen is the Little Bear.
Uh, wasn't no 3.2 bar when I lived there in 97-98. It be a biker bar!

Last edited by McGowdog; 07-23-2008 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: Flashforward to wanto; yep. We're old.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:58 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,718,316 times
I remember Thirsty's!!!!!!!! I was underage. So it was a perfect spot for me to drink illegally. hahaha

Jackson's Hole: Isn't that the same spot in Lodo but they just dropped the Hole?

Dino's, classic and yummy. My mom used to frequent there as a teen.

I miss the old diner in the Woolworth's on the 16th St. Mall. Remember they had everything, pet store, diner, clothes, appliances? lol

Also, I miss Rock Island and the May D&F store on the mall. Gee I'm old. But not as old as you guys!! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver